Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Today at 08:37:17 AM »
EDIT: Finished Season 1 of Mob Psycho 100, and man what a ride! Looking forward to Season 2...which is already out, but the dub apparently comes out in a few days.

Finished The Seven Deadly Sins season 3. I'm not gona lie, while I enjoyed my time with it...it's pretty much Fairy Tail lite at this point, with all of its flaws, but fewer of its strengths. Gonna try to pick something different as a palette cleanser, then I think I'll take up Annubis' advice and continue Dragon Ball Super, at least for an arc or two. Honestly, since I'm so behind with that and Fairy Tail, I can't watch them all in one go.
O.o That is an interesting interpretation. I would never have thought to make a comparison between those two series, and if I did Fairy Tail would not have been the good comparison. I don't know where season 3 of Seven Deadly Sins ends specifically, but I can think of two flaws in Fairy Tail that are not really present in Seven Deadly Sins. First is a lack of tension in Fairy Tail because friendship conquers all. Meanwhile in Seven Deadly Sins there are moments where the main characters do get their asses handed to them. Second would be the forced fetish bait in every arc of Fairy Tail. Although I don't know how far you are in Fairy Tail, so that might not yet be readily apparent (also could possibly be skipped over in filler arcs if the anime has those?).

Okay, I see we have very different problems with Fairy Tail. The fights are flashy with no substance, but it's always interesting to see how certain fighters are paired up or how they'll succeed. It's the weakest aspect of the series, but it's still just as entertaining. The series in general just has a lot of characters I love to see onscreen, and I'm always curious as to what they'll get up to next. My problem with it is the story structure and pacing, as well as an overreliance on twists, many of which can feel cheap and unearned, like half the arcs are being written on the fly, and that's even while skipping the filler arcs. Heck, some of the filler arcs are actually pretty clever. And that's the overall theme of the series, at least for me - it's a wonderfully imaginative series full of interesting characters and locales, and the series is always juggling a lot of different ideas, topics, story beats, etc. Even when it drops the ball, it's a spectacle to behold.

Going back to Seven Deadly Sins, it has a lot of the same qualities - a group of overpowered heroes who are already legends in their own right, adventuring around a magical land protecting others, while uncovering dark secrets that always seem to link up with their pasts somehow. There's tons of the whacky highjinks I loved from FT, especially when the other Holy Knights are involved - I love Gilthunder and his group, to name just a few - and the fights are always overthetop from the very start instead of building up to the bigger city-destroying fights that other shounen series usually do.

And that's a problem, really. It really hampers the sense of escalation, I mean we're already dealing with supermen, it's gonna take a lot of effort to make it seem like they're ever in any danger, yet they made it worse by making half the cast functionally immortal. And that apparently includes the talking pig. Just...wow. Only fights involving lesser characters or the ones who can actually die has any sense of tension, and that's before we get into the nitty gritty which...I'm not gonna get into since it's nowhere near a dealbreaker at this point. Even if 3 guys or 4 or 5 people literally can't be killed no matter what, it can still be fun to watch and see how they ultimately win. That's the point of a good hero story, especially if they set the characters so we want to see them succeed, which I definitely do. I love these characters, they're fun to watch. Except the princess and the talking pig, I would not shed a tear for them if they were killed off, even though I know they'll never truly be in danger, no matter how many times the show tries to fake me out on that.

My big problem is that this series kind of gets repetitive, and it's so, sooo bad when it comes to exposition. How many times are important people gonna be brought up as personal traumas for a character, only for that person to not be dead, often within the same episode, for increasingly contrived reasons? How many times is an important event gonna be brought up that everyone else conveniently forgot until it was important to the plot? And I'm not just talking about the outright amnesia that they also use way too frequently!

And What was the goddamn point of having everyone train in the Druid village? Seriously, was that just anime filler? No one gained anything from that experience, except for one guy who got his powers back, which was why they were there in the first place. Yet I think they spent 4 episodes on that, IIRC.

My point is, the story is kind of a mess. Some of it might just be from the adaptation, but that doesn't account for all of its stupidity. I only compared it to Fairy Tail because I watch them both for the same reasons, but I honestly feel like I've gotten a lot more out of FT than The Seven Deadly Sins. When comparing the two, I just feel that the highs aren't as high, and the lows are way lower, even when we're just talking about both series around 50 or so episodes in. Sorry if that caused some confusion.
« Last post by Ranadiel on Today at 06:35:40 AM »
Finished The Seven Deadly Sins season 3. I'm not gona lie, while I enjoyed my time with it...it's pretty much Fairy Tail lite at this point, with all of its flaws, but fewer of its strengths. Gonna try to pick something different as a palette cleanser, then I think I'll take up Annubis' advice and continue Dragon Ball Super, at least for an arc or two. Honestly, since I'm so behind with that and Fairy Tail, I can't watch them all in one go.
O.o That is an interesting interpretation. I would never have thought to make a comparison between those two series, and if I did Fairy Tail would not have been the good comparison. I don't know where season 3 of Seven Deadly Sins ends specifically, but I can think of two flaws in Fairy Tail that are not really present in Seven Deadly Sins. First is a lack of tension in Fairy Tail because friendship conquers all. Meanwhile in Seven Deadly Sins there are moments where the main characters do get their asses handed to them. Second would be the forced fetish bait in every arc of Fairy Tail. Although I don't know how far you are in Fairy Tail, so that might not yet be readily apparent (also could possibly be skipped over in filler arcs if the anime has those?).
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Your favourite powerful weapons
« Last post by Rucks on Yesterday at 12:52:11 AM »
I was wondering how long you'd let DerJer carry on (despite how quiet this place has gotten)...
General Discussions / Re: Completion List 2019
« Last post by Rucks on Yesterday at 12:48:14 AM »
1 Xanadu Next

that is all

pathetic

just beat Bioshock.  VERY good FPS (though, outside of the Halo series my experience in that genre is limited).
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on April 22, 2019, 08:04:10 PM »
I've done it. I've hit uninstall. Thank god I'm free at last.
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on April 22, 2019, 04:25:39 AM »

EDIT: Sat down with She-Ra only to realize that I don't actually want to watch it. :T I gotta stop letting hype and nostalgia guide my viewing decisions, so I put on Mob Psycho instead. I've been meaning to watch this for years, but I keep forgetting about it. About 6 episodes deep, and I'm having a really good time. Seems like Season 2 is getting dubbed soon, so maybe I'll be able to get caught up sooner than anticipated.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Langrisser 1 and 2 remakes for PS4 and Switch
« Last post by MonCapitan2002 on April 19, 2019, 07:45:11 PM »
There's also a pretty neat trophy list for the PS 4 version.  Still not enough of an incentive to buy it, though.  I plan to wait until reviews are in.
« Last post by Annubis on April 19, 2019, 12:36:54 AM »
Dragon Ball Super has been the best thing to happen to DB in a long while.
I'd put that high up on the to-do list.

I can't wait until it resumes.
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on April 18, 2019, 08:59:31 PM »
All caught up with My Hero Academia, and what a ride that's been! I definitely can't wait for Season 4, now!

Gonna be a tough act to follow up. I figured I'd jump on One Punch Man S2, but that requires a Hulu subscription, so...I basically have nothing to watch this season except for Fairy Tail & Jojo. With that in mind. I figure I may as well embrace my inner shounen trash and get caught up on a bunch of series - Fairy Tail, Jojo's Bizarre Adventures, One Piece, Dragon Ball Super, and The Seven Deadly Sins - while breaking it up with the odd series here and there (mainly Votoms, Mob Psycho, Munto, Magi, and She-Ra).
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Fire Emblem: [s]Tree[/s] Three Houses
« Last post by Aeolus on April 17, 2019, 04:02:37 PM »
Edelgard may be the obvious choice for normies, but us queers are fully on board with Claude.

Right??  That's why I was going with Douche-mitri.  There's literally NO reason to pick him, AT ALL.  Hence, my reason for picking him.

I could shade you for being such a brazen hipster contrarian but I know deep down I'm the same.

I'm withholding my vote until I get to see what the other two starters actually bring to the table. Give us an update you cowards!

(Although I'm probably gonna go Edelgard anyways because I generally tend towards Fire Starter Types.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10