Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur

Lard

• View Profile
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2012, 08:43:09 PM »
The argument made isn't feasible. A small piece of optional and unnecessary content being FREE to those who buy new is not logically followed by selling chunks. Of a game online. And gay marriage isn't supposed to be related. It's another example of a slippery slope argument.

1) It is completely feasible, considering how publishers have been acting this gen.

2) It is not "free". It is content taken out of the game. It is not extra content.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2012, 08:46:01 PM »
2) It is not "free". It is content taken out of the game. It is not extra content.

Curt Schilling actually just made a big post about this over on the 38 forums about how this was intended to be Day 1 DLC, not on-disc content:

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?3063-Did-you-push-back-at-EA-at-all-over-this-Quest-content-gated-by-online-pass.&p=52812&viewfull=1#post52812

Considering most large games go gold about a month before they actually release, it's not difficult to believe that this was intended to be DLC.

Curt Schilling is a hardcore gamer just as much as the rest of us.  I'd read the whole statement - it's pretty interesting.
THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL

VampiricDragon_

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »
Curt shilling is a hardcore mmo player. Different worlds there.

I believe it was content already in the game, not dlc, and this is just a way to cover up a slimey move ( lets see if its effective)

And bloody sock? How is he trust worthy? joke

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2012, 09:10:04 PM »
A thought that came to mind: this might've gone smoother if they didn't call it an Online Pass. Seriously, EA's gone and standardized this for all their games, ALL of them having an "online pass", and while that makes sense for a game with an online mode, and people might call it that either way, labeling the card as "Free DLC" or something instead would've probably softened it rather than left it seeming like a naked attempt at EA to pressure people to buy their releases new, always.

daschrier

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2012, 09:38:45 PM »
They did the same thing with DA and DA2, why all the fuss now?

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2012, 09:47:26 PM »
Wait, are they actually calling it an 'online pass' themselves?  I thought that label was just attached to it by angry websites.

I wonder that too...

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »
Well, DA2 definitely said "online pass" now that I looked again, but for DA:O it was still a new concept, and wasn't as prevalent as it is now. Plus DA2 had way more crap swirling around it, not to mention locking a character behind a pre-order edition was way worse than that Black Emporium thing, though most people seem to hate that character so I guess it wasn't a big loss afterall.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2012, 11:41:25 PM »
Curt Schilling actually just made a big post about this over on the 38 forums about how this was intended to be Day 1 DLC, not on-disc content

PR Spin. Of course he's going to defend it. It's damage control, nothing more.

If you get the "Ultimate Edition" of Dragon Age, all the content comes on the disc.

You have to install it, but there's no code.

Massive difference.

Wait, are they actually calling it an 'online pass' themselves?  I thought that label was just attached to it by angry websites.

The picture from the original Destructoid article says in great big letters: "ONLINE PASS"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:44:51 PM by Lard »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2012, 02:48:54 AM »

If you get the "Ultimate Edition" of Dragon Age, all the content comes on the disc.

You have to install it, but there's no code.

Massive difference.

How is that even relevant?  The 'Ultimate Edition' was a re-release that came out like a year later.  There certainly was release day DLC with Dragon Age.  I know because I got it day 1 and had to download stuff.

daschrier

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2012, 09:11:40 AM »
Wardens keep and the stone guy were free if you bought the game new. Otherwise you had to pay for it.

neogalahad

• View Profile
    • Portfolio - blog
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
One more week!! I dont know why everyone is complaining about the DLC, if you buy it new then whats the problem? Support the company, they went through a lot of stuff to get to this point from pulling Ken Rolsten out of retirement to almost losing the studio when THQ dropped them. 38 studios was there savior and this game is going to be legit!

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2012, 01:31:23 PM »
How is that even relevant?  The 'Ultimate Edition' was a re-release that came out like a year later.  There certainly was release day DLC with Dragon Age.  I know because I got it day 1 and had to download stuff.

Well a) because daschrier brought it up, and b) because it certainly shows the futility of releasing an online pass with one version and then turning around and putting all the content on another version. Why bother to do it at all? Makes no sense.

daschrier

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »
You get people to double dip who may or may not have purchased all of the DLC, as well as try and bring new people into the game.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2012, 02:51:36 PM »
Why should people be expected to double dip?

Like I said, pure greed.

dyeager

• Contributing Editor
  • Code Monkey Like Fritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
Money talks. If enough people don't buy it, it won't happen again.

I for one will be buying it.