Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur

Lard

• View Profile
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2012, 11:42:30 PM »

Except that all the chapters in a book are essential. The House of Valor quests are not.

As Eusis said, the conversation needs to change back to the game now.

Ok. Please explain to me, in a game that is story based, why some content is essential and the Valor quests are not and what deems it so.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
Ok. Please explain to me, in a game that is story based, why some content is essential and the Valor quests are not and what deems it so.

Because you don't need them to beat and enjoy the game, not with the way Gabe and Tycho are praising the game without the DLC. Case closed, now let's move on (or discuss what this DLC entails at least).

EDIT: Actually, another point on the story front: the demo alone shows signs of how the game world is OVERFLOWING with lore. There'll probably be things left unexplored for future games, or simply there for flavor, and I can see something like that being just that, adds more flavor to the game and its world. Personally I think a lot of generic fantasy lore like this is little better than filler, so unless this covers certain key aspects of the world or at least the more interesting parts I don't see it mattering all that much whether or not it's there.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:00:14 AM by Eusis »

dyeager

• Contributing Editor
  • Code Monkey Like Fritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2012, 12:22:58 AM »
If you have a moral objection to the way this game is being offered, then don't buy it. Talk with your dollars. I have no problem with that.

But I expect the same respect for anybody who chooses to buy it.

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »
Lard, by saying that 'you can't access the DLC forever therefore it is shitty' is flawed on a fundamental level. You can't use discs forever; they'll eventually wear out no matter how careful you are. Similarly, servers for online games won't be up forever, regardless of game quality. Should your reasoning be applied across all games that MIGHT end up being inaccessible? It's ridiculous.

Also, your entire attempt to frame others as some sort of petty individual despite the fact that you have argued about the same thing for four pages, refusing to change your flawed assumptions despite all efforts to reason with you to the contrary is the epitome of irony. You've somehow made this debate a personal issue against anyone who disagrees with you, which is not tolerable here.

I now consider this issue over. Any more posts about this debate and not the game will be met with reprimand.

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »
Hey, the PC release has controller support (don't have a wired 360 controller though).  I guess I should download the PC demo and see how it plays on the PC before I buy it =P.

I'd probably enjoy exploring much more on PC than I would 360 for some unknown reason, but the thought of using a controller and X360 achievos are wooing me.

And yeah, it will be nice to see this thread turn back into gameplay stuff again.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »
Putting aside my thoughts on Achievements as a reason to get one version or another of a game, the Steam version DOES tout having achievements on the store page. But I think this is probably going to be a game better played with a controller so 360 is still likely the best choice for you.

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »
Putting aside my thoughts on Achievements as a reason to get one version or another of a game, the Steam version DOES tout having achievements on the store page. But I think this is probably going to be a game better played with a controller so 360 is still likely the best choice for you.

Yeah I think you're right.  I played the demo and controls were annoying.  I'm sure at retail you can re-map the attack buttons, but I really hated the attack buttons being linked to mouse clicks (I'd rather not develop CTS playing your game 38studios kthnx).  Camera, even at the lowest sensitivity, was a nuisance.  Couldn't even enjoy the vibrant environments. 

On the other hand the controls on the 360 felt fine.  Probably will stick with that.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

neogalahad

• View Profile
    • Portfolio - blog
« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2012, 06:22:17 PM »
I pre ordered the game today, its a birthday present from my mother in law!

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
If anyone complains about them holding back content:
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning has a lot of content. This much we know. Releasing next week isn't the most perfect time as far as I'm concerned with the Vita's launch on the horizon and both Twisted Metal and Resident Evil: Revelations competing for my time, but it's also a much more comfortable spot than any point in the last quarter of 2011 would have been. One of its developers recently pondered if the amount of content crammed into the game was overdone, and I can't help but think it just might be.

"We recently had a content completion play through about two months ago... so, QA guys, they've been playing the game for years, they know all there is to know about it, its ins and outs, etc... their goal is to play everything," lead designer Ian Frazier told Strategy Informer. "Do every quest, every dungeon, everything possible, but as fast as possible. That means easy difficulty, skip all cut scenes and dialogue, sprint everywhere that's sprintable, fast travel everywhere you can, don't do any combat you don't need to do... that all took around 200 hours, and that was a speed run.

http://www.1up.com/news/op-ed-too-old-long-games

Britton

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2012, 10:07:02 PM »
Ign's review for this is out. They gave it a 9/10. Official X Box Mag gave it an 80/100.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2012, 09:59:53 AM »
Looking forward to it, hopefully the bugs found in the demo will be ironed out on release. Still not a day one for me though.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

daschrier

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »
It's been mentioned several times that the demo was a 3 month old build outsourced to a 3rd party company by EA.

Booboo

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2012, 09:12:09 AM »
From all the user impressions on GAF who already have the game, it's running great and all the bugs in the demo are non-existent.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2012, 01:46:07 PM »
It's been mentioned several times that the demo was a 3 month old build outsourced to a 3rd party company by EA.

I'm aware of that, but just because the build was old doesn't necessarily mean they addressed all the bugs I experienced by the time the game went gold. That's why I said "hopefully", and from what I hear they did iron out quite a few, but there's no way the game will be issue free on release day. In this day and age, no game is. Especially if its under EAs banner, who have a tendency of ignoring a games technical state as long as it looks pretty enough to market.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2012, 02:15:24 PM »
It's an EA Partners game, though, not an EA Games game.  Essentially they're the publisher and marketer and all the production is done by 38/BigHuge.
THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL