Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur
« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »
It's an EA Partners game, though, not an EA Games game.  Essentially they're the publisher and marketer and all the production is done by 38/BigHuge.

I'm still sore about WAR being released with no content. EAs been a little better these days, but even as a publisher, I can still see them putting pressure on the developer to release an incomplete game in the spirit of "sell now fix later"
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 07, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »
Reviews are up. Game seems legit. Rpgfan review is good.

Gamespot gave it a 7.5 which seems poopy.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #182 on: February 07, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »
Reviews have generally been mixed between 7-9s.  I still say I'm game.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 07, 2012, 04:18:39 PM »
I got my game. HURRAY! I've played a bit already and I can sum up my feelings really simply.

ITS BETTER THAN SKYRIM. Just better. Yes, I know how crazy that sounds especially to myself because I love Skyrim. Voice acting is better and more varied, dialogue feels more unique for random NPCs, random dungeons seem more unique, lots of varied terrain to visit, etc. Then theres the combat. Its like someone paired Skyrim with a tone down version of God of War.

Now the combat is not button mashing. Theres special moves that required delayed attacks and you can get interrupted if your hit in a combo. But you got full fledge combos with various special attacks for each weapon and each skill tree has 3 weapons each. On top of that there is no limitation to how you mix and match the 3 ability trees. If you want to recreate your old school Baldur's Gate Fighter/Thief/Mage you can do so without worrying about gimping your character. In fact, theres destiny cards with bonus for every combination. Might/Finesse/Sorcery (aka Fighter/Thief/Mage) destinies get reductions in weapon requirements and unlocks the special moves of all weapons. So you can just pick up any weapon you find and start using it to its full potential. Also, theres a lot of combos between the various skill trees. A basic one is the staff special attack mage vortex that pulls enemies together like a black hole. Place an Ice Trap with the Finesse and pull all the enemies into the trap. BAMB!

Also, its easy just to switch between attacks. You can launch the enemy into the air with your greatsword and then juggle them mid-air with arrows from your bow. You can finish a long combo from your daggers with a lighting spell to finish your enemy off without any delay at all. You may wonder why anyone would bother making pure classes if theres so much cross class potential. Easy, pure classes have the points to invest in the highest level abilities like the super spells mages get such as Meteor. Yes, you can smite enemies like a Final Fantasy Black Mage. ;)

For myself, I was going to play a sneaky Rogue/Mage but I've fell in love with my Warrior/Mage. Knocking around  even large enemies with a giant 2h weapon followed up with a finishing spell attack is just too much fun. Plus, I can switch to the mage weapon (Chakrams) which are by far the most flashy weapons in the game. So 2h sword for tough enemies and Chakrams for fast enemies. Also, spells for support like Ice for slowing enemies and Lighting for stunning. You can get all these attacks off without delay when switching weapon/ability/spell.

Simply put, this is THE BEST warrior/mage implementation I've ever seen in a game. But theres even more depth to the fighting system with access to dodges, timed parries with your shield to stun enemies so you can open them up to combos, and, as I've said, the countless combos between various abilities.

However, I recommend hard since even normal seems to be way too easy for what people are saying.

Bottom line is that the quest, lore, dungeon design, is at least on par if not better than Skyrim but its the combat system that really makes Reckoning stand out. If combat and questing got repetitive and stale for you in Skyrim then play Reckoning.   

A few extra notes:

1) Unlike Skyrim, magic starts as your most powerful form of attack and only gets more powerful. If you go pure sorcery you can unlock the most powerful spells like Meteor which will clear rooms for you if used wisely. Such as with a staff's vortex attack to group enemies together.

2) Your starting lighting spell will do more damage than 1 hit from a 2h weapon however the 2h weapon can probably kill in 3-4 hits right from lvl 1 with no mana costs)

3) Spells can crit and you can even find mage armor that buffs spell crit chance/damage. So yes, you can stealth attack with spells and auto crit for massive damage, possibly one shoting weak grunts.

4) The different weapons are balanced quite well. 2h-weapons are very slow which leaves you open to attack. You have to keep on your toes and dodge out of the way of incoming attacks even if that breaks your combo. Daggers are really fast but lack burst damage. A Rouge is going to have to get creative in large fights, such as laying down traps and getting as many backstabs as possible and using multi weapon combos such as launching enemies into the air and juggling them with the bow or making a hybrid class so you can use spells/abilities to finishing enemies off.

5) Skills are all very useful. This is one of the few games that Detect Hidden is actually worth taking. You will find a ton of hidden treasure (even powerful equipment) with that skill. Most useful if taken asap to lvl 2 since the gear you find can help a lot in setting up your character at low level.

I haven't gotten far enough to really do any crafting but from the videos I've seen online the most powerful gear in the game comes from what you can craft yourself. So if you want to maximis your potential, you'll need those crafting skills. At the top of the list is Blacksmith as the most useful by far.

6) I'm honestly surprised by how many different potions there are in the game. Makes Alchemy well worth looking into.

7) The different Destinies (classes) all seem equally powerful and will clear rooms at a similar pace from what I've seen of the online streams of high level characters.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:47:27 PM by bigdeath »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 07, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
I got my limited edition box set.  It's so pretty...it's sitting there, tempting me.  I'm supposed to be writing my dissertation, damn it...

Edit: Listening to the soundtrack now.  It's pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:39:15 PM by Kevadu »

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 07, 2012, 05:27:09 PM »
My question is: is this a buy at release game or can I wait a bit?

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 07, 2012, 06:40:50 PM »

Get busy livn' or get busy dyin'
~~

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #187 on: February 07, 2012, 06:45:28 PM »
It's safe to say I liked ol' Yoda from the start.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 07, 2012, 06:46:37 PM »

Its an uninstall Skyrim because your never going to play it again type of game. Hyperbole aside, its more than good enough to buy now. Those who choose to preorder choose well.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:48:30 PM by bigdeath »

neogalahad

• View Profile
    • Portfolio - blog
« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2012, 12:47:59 AM »
Its definitely a day one purchase! Its pretty amazing, from the art, music, voice acting, gameplay...its just amazing. The ONLY gripe I have (and its totally STUPID) is that the manual is only digital meaning there is no printed manual in the case. I felt a little cheated when I opened my copy but hey its not a big deal at all. If you have any doubts of buying this game, dont! Its awesome and will be in my xbox for at least a month until ME3 comes out.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2012, 12:52:42 AM »
The ONLY gripe I have (and its totally STUPID) is that the manual is only digital meaning there is no printed manual in the case.

That's EA's new policy, and others like Ubisoft have been doing it too. I imagine eventually all the big publishers will dump them, and so will the smaller ones through retailer (read: Walmart) pressure. Disappointing, but at least the 3DS and Vita are offering them at a system level, and the Vita seems to retain the style of print manuals so they should still be worth flipping through.

neogalahad

• View Profile
    • Portfolio - blog
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2012, 01:32:10 AM »
The ONLY gripe I have (and its totally STUPID) is that the manual is only digital meaning there is no printed manual in the case.

That's EA's new policy, and others like Ubisoft have been doing it too. I imagine eventually all the big publishers will dump them, and so will the smaller ones through retailer (read: Walmart) pressure. Disappointing, but at least the 3DS and Vita are offering them at a system level, and the Vita seems to retain the style of print manuals so they should still be worth flipping through.

That sucks...at least the Witcher 2 will come with a lot of goodies in the standard version! Thank you WB games for publishing. Publishers like Atlus and now WB understand that the printed swag is a great part of the experience of buying a physical copy of the game. Skyrim came with a thick manual and a HUGE map, why cant EA print a simple manual? Its just ridiculous!

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2012, 01:44:11 AM »
Errr, who cares? lol  *Goes back to playing game*

neogalahad

• View Profile
    • Portfolio - blog
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2012, 01:48:18 AM »

For those that care about physical media, as its going away fast...its just a step closer to complete digital distribution.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2012, 02:03:43 AM »

For those that care about physical media, as its going away fast...its just a step closer to complete digital distribution.

Well, I lose my hardcopy manuals so.............
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:06:20 AM by bigdeath »