Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Soundroom / Re: Favorite Albums of 2017
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 10:39:57 AM »
Last real album I purchased was Jimmy Eat World's "Integrity Blues", which was released at the end of October last year.  :(
The Soundroom / Favorite Albums of 2017
« Last post by Frostillicus on Today at 10:29:25 AM »
That's right, I'm starting this one early. I feel that Brendan Small's Galaktikon II: Become the Storm is just fantastic stuff, and it is definitely one of my albums of the year. It basically combines the Dethklok sound with Brendan's solo space-rock sound from the first Galaktikon album, and I think it's very well done. It took a few listens for me to really appreciate the album, but now I play it at least a few times a week. You can tell some skilled musicians are behind it (Bryan Beller; Gene Hoglan: Brendan himself).
The only thing I don't like is how low the vocals are in the mix. It's honestly a damn crime, because the music is so good. Previous Dethklok albums (same producer) were mixed much better than this... Anyway, I eventually got used to it, and can appreciate it better, now that I know what he says at certain parts. Thus, it is easily a top pick for me.
^ "Oasis" is a song where I'll replay the opening a few times over before listening to the rest of the song. It's so fantastic.

Check out their '95 self-titled debut. If you like Fundamental, I'm sure you will appreciate it. It's also dynamic, but a bit heavier. More thrashy-style at some points. The production is a bit more raw, though.
You can stream it free on Amazon if you have a Prime account. I actually downloaded the album from Amazon a few years ago, because it's tough to find a physical copy for cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Puya/dp/B002R549FS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1510931099&sr=8-8&keywords=puya+music

I just can't get into "Union", though. They changed their style on that album, and I can't appreciate as much as the previous two albums. The "Areyto" EP that came later is pretty good, though.
Now that I think about it, they released a crowd-funded live album a few years ago (if I remember correctly) that's actually pretty damn good, as far as live albums go.

EDIT: Ever listen to Ankla? It was Ramon Ortiz's (Puya's lead guitarist) short-lived side project from about 10 years ago. Sounds kind of like Puya, but less dynamic, and much heavier. They only released one album: "Steep Trails". I wouldn't say it's a great album, but it does have some stand out tracks. Especially "Intro/Sinking", and "Deceit" (who's gonna hate blast beats on top of Spanish-style guitar?).
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Etrian Odyssey V
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 09:53:43 AM »
This thread, plus all the EO talk on Random Encounter (the one from, like, September, which is the one I'm listening to) makes me really want to pick Untold back up.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 06:41:34 AM »
New event calender is up and yuck. https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/heroes-event-schedule-nov-dec.png

Only new banners are Legendary Heroes and Children of Fate (which sounds to be more focused upon FE Fates Gen 2 characters, rather than FE4's Gen 2 characters, especially when its referred to in JP as Children of Black and White; so most likely Seigbert, Shiro, Selkie and Soleil). No word yet on any Christmas/Holiday Banner though (even though we all know its coming) or what late December's getting.

Meanwhile, we've got two more ReGHeBs for Michalis and Berkut and a BHeB for Tana and Amelia, so nothing exciting on that front (at least the BHeB is new). While the next T_T is focused upon the current Farfetched Banner (that or villainous/antagonist characters since 'less-than-heroic' could mean that too, they could be our 20% units; either way, its not TSS focused so Eirika and Ephraim are out in the cold on this one), and the next VG travesty is going to be centered around couples (my bet for winner will be Clive).

So in short, unless the Book 2 update itself drops a bunch of new Chapters and characters on us for our Common draw pool to swell upon, this looks rather anemic.
"Oasis" by Puya  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uToFVrQmjGo

Something in my brain told me to listen to Puya while doing my nightly plank, and I'm glad I did.  I'm also glad that a friend of mine told me about this band last year.  This song "Oasis" is from their 1999 album Fundamental (which I listened to and it's a mindblowing album) and that song has more dynamism in it than many bands have in their entire albums.  I particularly like that little funky riff around 48 seconds in.  I hear metal, I hear salsa, I hear jazz, I hear funk, even some hip-hop... And dat bass, oooh dat bass!

There are so many bands out there where I think, "How the hell did they not get famous?" and Puya is definitely one of them.  They played on major tours and supported some big name bands, yet no one's really heard of them.  It's a shame because their music is really good and I've heard they slay in concert.  It could be argued that they didn't make it big because their music is in Spanish, but since when did language barriers stop other artists?  Rammstein is internationally known and they sing in German. 

Puya + Dog Fashion Disco would be a concert that explodes my brain into mechanically separated meat. 
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Etrian Odyssey V
« Last post by Lard on Yesterday at 04:33:30 PM »
Got to the third stratum today. I see what you mean about the music.
« Last post by Tomara on Yesterday at 11:05:57 AM »
Also I steamrolled the new BHB with Team Nino, and proceeded to get two boards with no greens which yielded a 4* Gwendolyn and 4* Tailtiu. Nice to get :D lady so soon after she got demoted, at least.

I used Soren because I could. Took some thinking to get his speed up to 45 so he could double Takumi (didn't have a spare Subaki I was willing to sacrifice for this), but I managed and he took out both Takumi and that cavalry mage during the enemy phase. Linde cleaned up most of the other units, while Olivia danced and blocked the green horse unit. BIke was there to support his boyfriend and reposition people to safety.

Then I got a -spd, +res Halloween Jakob. I'm a little sad it wasn't Sakura, but atleast it's a good Jakob.

Now I'm not sure if I should continue pulling while the Halloween banner is still up and aim for a Nowi and Henry, or start saving up for the 8% banner.
« Last post by Hathen on Yesterday at 09:50:42 AM »
I'll probably do full 5-orb rolls for the upcoming 8% banner despite owning a lot of the units, including all the Red ones due to the Ayra I just got. Aside from the chance at a better IV for any units I already own (well, not Celica, I have -HP +SPD on her), they have some nice skills to pass around anyway and merging is always an option.

Been leveling Ayra and goddamn is she strong, even with mediocre IVs. I mean, ultimately she's still a Red Infantry with all the typical weaknesses of one, especially with that laughable RES stat, but it's still dumb how good she is, especially with her busted weapon. She invalidates the majority of Red infantry barring the ones with a Falchion or a DC Sword. Allowing the killing edge scrubs to upgrade their weapon seems like even more of a pittance when it's going to cost you a bunch of the new currency to do so.

Also I steamrolled the new BHB with Team Nino, and proceeded to get two boards with no greens which yielded a 4* Gwendolyn and 4* Tailtiu. Nice to get :D lady so soon after she got demoted, at least.
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Arvis on Yesterday at 09:21:08 AM »
*hugs @Annubis *
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10