Author Topic: Favorite Albums of 2017

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Favorite Albums of 2017
« on: November 17, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
That's right, I'm starting this one early. I feel that Brendan Small's Galaktikon II: Become the Storm is just fantastic stuff, and it is definitely one of my albums of the year. It basically combines the Dethklok sound with Brendan's solo space-rock sound from the first Galaktikon album, and I think it's very well done. It took a few listens for me to really appreciate the album, but now I play it at least a few times a week. You can tell some skilled musicians are behind it (Bryan Beller; Gene Hoglan: Brendan himself).
The only thing I don't like is how low the vocals are in the mix. It's honestly a damn crime, because the music is so good. Previous Dethklok albums (same producer) were mixed much better than this... Anyway, I eventually got used to it, and can appreciate it better, now that I know what he says at certain parts. Thus, it is easily a top pick for me.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Albums of 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »
Last real album I purchased was Jimmy Eat World's "Integrity Blues", which was released at the end of October last year.  :(
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 08:27:59 PM »
So far...

5) Darkest Hour- "Godless Prophets & The Migrant Flora"

4) Efe Tozan- "The Last Birdling soundtrack" (The Last Birdling was a VN I reviewed for the site and gave an Editor's Choice to.)

3) DragonForce- "Reaching Into Infinity"

2) Burial Mound- "Relics of a New Age"

1) Sons of Apollo- "Psychotic Symphony"

With the exception of The Last Birdling, I've spoken at length about them in the Song of the Moment thread. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 09:24:18 PM »
Tyler the Creator- Flower Boy.  solid 9/10 for me.

Well mixed and no bad songs. A lot less intensity from him is a positive as well.

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:29:06 PM »
Fucking none.  At least nothing that was RELEASED this year.  The new Paradise Lost album is the closest thing I've got to a favorite, but I only like three or four songs off it.  Cradle of Filth's new one has a few glimpses of greatness here and there too, but nothing warranting the label of favorite.

I've had more luck catching up with stuff I missed out on in previous years.  I think I've already played the Jex Thoth album "Blood Moon Rise" more than I've played the last three Maiden albums combined.

TurnerBasedXP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 02:20:52 PM »
Hanson: Finally It's Christmas. Hands down.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:41:37 PM »
So far...

5) Darkest Hour- "Godless Prophets & The Migrant Flora"

4) Efe Tozan- "The Last Birdling soundtrack" (The Last Birdling was a VN I reviewed for the site and gave an Editor's Choice to.)

3) DragonForce- "Reaching Into Infinity"

2) Burial Mound- "Relics of a New Age"

1) Sons of Apollo- "Psychotic Symphony"

With the exception of The Last Birdling, I've spoken at length about them in the Song of the Moment thread.

As I mentioned in the Song of the Moment thread, it looks like I have another album to put on my ever-growing list.  "Qualia" by Analyzed Consequences.  I just discovered this band today.  They're from Bangalore, India (I have family from there) and they're an instrumental prog-metal band.  I love how the music so effortlessly incorporates ragas from Indian classical music.  I always felt that Indian classical music lends itself really well to metal.  "Colour" and "Nerves" are probably my two favorite songs on this EP, though all of them are good. 

https://analyzedconsequences.bandcamp.com/
     -Peppermint Patty

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 11:07:05 PM »
DAMN

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 06:50:59 AM »
DAMN

Is that a reaction to the album I linked to, the fact that we found so much killer music this year, something else, or all of the above? 

For me, It's definitely a "whoa!" that I found so much amazing music this year.  Maybe because music re-entered my life in a poignant way, I'm in the mindset where I'm more attuned to finding what's out there. 
     -Peppermint Patty

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »
DAMN

Is that a reaction to the album I linked to, the fact that we found so much killer music this year, something else, or all of the above? 

For me, It's definitely a "whoa!" that I found so much amazing music this year.  Maybe because music re-entered my life in a poignant way, I'm in the mindset where I'm more attuned to finding what's out there.

DAMN is Kendrick Lamars extremely overrated album.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
Oh.  (I have no idea who Kendrick Lamar is, so that's all I can say.  I live under a rock and mostly listen to obscure metal and punk.)

EDIT: On another note, my biggest disappointment for 2017 is the self-titled debut album from Prophets of Rage, a supergroup featuring members of Rage Against the Machine, Chuck D of Public Enemy, and B-Real of Cypress Hill.  Now, Public Enemy is my favorite rap group and Rage Against the Machine is one of my favorite bands (songs like RATM's "Bulls on Parade" and Public Enemy's "By the Time I Get to Arizona" still sound dangerous to this day.)  However, Prophets of Rage sounds rather... toothless.  Chuck D is a rap legend who's not afraid to "go there" and drop intense knowledge and RATM was such an explosive and innovative band... but none of that is present in Prophets of Rage.  It all sounds very superficial, very surface-level, too safe and too sanitized to the point of being almost politically correct.  I mean, these are times that demand explosively powerful music that can inspire a revolution and Prophets of Rage says they want to do that, but this album is too shallow to really do that.  It lacks danger.  The lyrics are hollow and the riffs lack creativity.  I should NOT be saying those things about Chuck D and RATM, since Chuck D is known for his incredible lyricism and RATM is known for their unbridled creativity.  Chuck D was able to rap strong with Anthrax, but is woefully overpowered by the guys in RATM.  And B-Real's performances feel phoned in.  I wanted to like this album, but came away feeling like I completely wasted my time listening to it.  They say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, and this was a terrible album founded on good intentions.

Sons of Apollo is a supergroup done right.  Prophets of Rage, on the other hand, is a supergroup gone wrong, where the whole is far less than the sum of its parts.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:28:58 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 10:26:59 AM »
^ Can't say I'm surprised by your assessment of the album. I haven't actually heard any of it yet, but I did watch some early live performances of the group some months ago on Youtube. "Underwhelming" would be an understatement. I didn't even watch a whole song, it was so ...uninteresting. It's like they are mainly doing it because they can. Not because they actually give so much of a crap.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 02:54:15 PM »
without Zach De La Roccha to prop them up, the rest of the members of Rage have spent a lot years grasping at straws.

Audioslave wasn't a total disaster, but Tom Morello hasn't really hit the musical sweet spot since ROTM stopped making new music.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"