Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
That is adorable, Jimmy.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: A JRPG About BOOBS!
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 09:47:29 AM »
And with all that being said, https://gematsu.com/2018/06/omega-labyrinth-z-western-release-cancelled

A sad day for The Legendary Zoltan. Lol.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 03:24:38 AM »
Well my impatience was kinda rewarded with a +Atk/-Def Summer Inn. Not the best of Banes but a Def forge will fix that right up. And he only took 75 Orbs to pull (with most of the rest of my pulls amounting to trash like Saizos and Marias).

Unfortunately, they're also rerunning last year's Summer banners to further bleed me of Orbs. Failed to get anything useful out of either of them even if they got 9 Orbs out of me (I really wanted that Summer Leo).

Apparently this GCN will be Valentia themed, but really, that generally means nothing at this point (unless they include a free 3 star Tobin or finally bring in the Kliff). It also might mean that the next Legendary is Fire Alm (although he doesn't fit the Res buff all that well (nor does any other Valentite, lol)).
Iím putting this here because itís a TV movie based on a TV show.

My wife and I watched Hey Arnold! The Jungle Movie today. We were pleasantly surprised by it, though some of the aside stuff made us scratch our heads. It was definitely a different tone than the show, but with it being fourteen or fifteen years, thatís hardly surprising. And they may have figured they could do some things differently as the original audience has grown up.

Despite that they were able to recapture the magic where it counts and it was fun to see all those lose threads get tied up. I actually cried a few happy tears.
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by SonicDeathMonkey on Yesterday at 11:46:26 PM »
oh, interesting. i stopped checking this forum a while ago and then came back a month or two ago and was kinda sad about how these forums seem so dead, and it seemed weird to me since the site itself seems to be doing well what with the regular content and podcasts and whatnot. i guess everyone went to discord. i've been meaning to install that anyway since i've had a few people suggest i join (mostly people i've played cs:go with). i guess i'll get on there at some point..

i'll always miss this style of forum but i think it's safe to say it's becoming more and more irrelevant with time :(
BTW, is it really necessary for the final dungeon to be this epic 2h long labyrinth every time?
I wouldn't mind a more streamlined dungeon when I'm trying to push on and finish the game.

For me the problem lies less with the length and more with the design. Xillia and Xillia 2 both had very short final dungeons, to the point that it felt stupidly anti-climactic. Zestiria's final dungeon, it turns out, can be cleared in about 10-20 minutes with a holy bottle (which my co-op partner and I found out after being forced to do it THREE TIMES (I'd never had, nor have I since, had a PS4 game crash), but at least they got the look and sound right... Berseria's dungeon just doesn't have anything interesting or unique enough to justify the length. There's no puzzles, the environments feel over-sized, and there's only two variations to the visuals. By contrast Abyss and Vesperia had pretty lengthy final dungeons, but there was a lot of visual variety and a few puzzles to keep changing things up.

That is, ultimately a dungeon should be as long as its design and structure can remain interesting.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Tales of Discussion 2: Dawn of the New Megathread
« Last post by Kevadu on Yesterday at 03:37:45 PM »
I'm currently playing through Berseria myself, actually.  And I have to say that while I am generally liking the game so far the endless fields (and caves...so many caves...) of enemies really does wear on me at times.  It's like they heard the complaints about the mediocre dungeons in Xillia (maybe Zesteria too but I haven't played that one) and said, "OK we'll make everything bigger".  Not more interesting, not more content, just bigger.  And filled with endless swarms of the same enemies which you feel like you shouldn't even try to avoid because it takes so many battles to get all those equipment skills.

Graces (I always seem to come back to Graces...) actually handled this kind of stuff really well in my opinion.  It didn't have a world map or anything but most of the 'overworld' links between cities and stuff were quite short.  Too short to be truly realistic, honestly, but who really cares.  On the other hand it has some huge, expansive, and actually interesting dungeons filled with puzzles, exploration, etc.  Didn't hurt that when you did fight enemies it was with the best battle system the series has produced to date.  Yeah, that was a really good game...

The plot in Berseria is definitely one of the most interesting I've seen in a Tales game but it feels like they still don't know how to get the gameplay right...even though they've gotten it right before but decided to abandon that direction for whatever reason.

BTW, is it really necessary for the final dungeon to be this epic 2h long labyrinth every time?
I wouldn't mind a more streamlined dungeon when I'm trying to push on and finish the game.

Now that is crazy talk.  Epic final dungeons is one JRPG tradition I actually like!  It's the final dungeon, it should be epic.  Just hopefully make it a more interesting location than the endless basically identical caves I've been going through so far...
« Last post by Annubis on Yesterday at 02:47:58 PM »
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 12:04:09 PM »
I don't dislike the hoverboard, although you get it far too late. I know the days of getting boats and airships which gradually open more of the map are long-gone, but I feel like, if implemented well, the hoverboard could fill that role. In theory it somewhat did by making travel quicker and opening new areas, but it felt a bit like an after-thought (not dissimilar to using the elemental abilities in Zestiria: that felt like such wasted potential).
Frankly, I think going pseudo open world is what hurt the dungeon and field designs of the Tales series.  I think the best thing the developers can do is to go back to a separate navigable world map with distinct dungeon and village zones.

Its not the open world aspect as it is having battles take place on the field rather than their own distinct battlefield. It was atrocious for Zesty and not much better for Berseria (since at least they did a better job of designing field/dungeon maps to accommodate battle arenas; even if it led to all of the dungeons looking like an interconnected series of boxes; at least compared to Zesty's "what could possibly go wrong?").
I don't dislike the hoverboard, although you get it far too late. I know the days of getting boats and airships which gradually open more of the map are long-gone, but I feel like, if implemented well, the hoverboard could fill that role. In theory it somewhat did by making travel quicker and opening new areas, but it felt a bit like an after-thought (not dissimilar to using the elemental abilities in Zestiria: that felt like such wasted potential).
Frankly, I think going pseudo open world is what hurt the dungeon and field designs of the Tales series.  I think the best thing the developers can do is to go back to a separate navigable world map with distinct dungeon and village zones. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10