Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2018, 02:34:16 PM »
In threads like this, I always gripe about FFXII's License Board.  I loathed it because it felt arbitrary, tacked on, made zero contextual sense within the game, and was needlessly complicated.  Why couldn't I just go to the store, but a hat, and wear it?  Why did I need to earn a stupid license to wear a hat? 

The new system in Zodiac Age was a million times better.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 02:56:34 PM »
The new system in Zodiac Age was a million times better.

But you still need a license to wear that hat, though.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 05:59:33 PM »
better does not necessarily mean ideal/perfect. 

Both versions of FFXII have flaws in story, gameplay, and interface.  The best part about that game was the Gambit system because I could custom tailor to my exacting tastes how I wanted my companion AI to act, and have been spoiled ever since.  That's another one of my pet peeves is companion AI that's so absolutely brainless (even with rudimentary options on how I want them to act) that I have to babysit them or they'll blow themselves up.  That is not fun. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:03:04 PM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 10:41:13 PM »
3) tedious crafting/upgrade system. Sigh, once again Tales of Beseria.

I love Star Ocean 3, but jeez that crafting system is a huge pain in the ass.

Worst one I've encountered, at least.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

mooserocka

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 11:37:39 PM »
Things i cant bear in a jrpg is making it an action game. It was good in kingdom hearts but butchering ff 15 battle system like they did was a huge turn off for me. I just hate that system of fighting in j rpg.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 08:40:59 AM »
But if you like it in KH then you could like it in other games, surely?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2018, 12:27:03 AM »
Grinding DLC that's actually not very good for grinding in (actually most DLC but that's neither here or there).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

The Legendary Zoltan

• Narcissistic Legend
    • View Profile
    • Turn Based Memories
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2018, 07:46:11 AM »
The god-damn CAMERA! Cameras do not need to be auto-correcting themselves to look behind you would be a start. But a much better solution is just to program the camera angles into the game. You'll get way more interesting angles than you can with a free camera and the background won't be ALL BLURRY FROM CAONSTANTLY SPINNING AROUND THE CHARACTER EVERY TIME YOU TURN A CORNER!

That and an overabundance of treasure chests. Seriously, nearly every game that exists could make treasure chests great again by simply reducing the number by about 90%. Maybe then, they'd actually consider putting treasure inside that makes the player happy they found it.
Click HERE for the ONLY JRPG podcast that has an original format.

SonicDeathMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2018, 10:22:59 PM »
better does not necessarily mean ideal/perfect. 

Both versions of FFXII have flaws in story, gameplay, and interface.  The best part about that game was the Gambit system because I could custom tailor to my exacting tastes how I wanted my companion AI to act, and have been spoiled ever since.  That's another one of my pet peeves is companion AI that's so absolutely brainless (even with rudimentary options on how I want them to act) that I have to babysit them or they'll blow themselves up.  That is not fun.

RPGs that want me to rely on AI companions are always a non-starter for me. I dunno why, but I find it infinitely frustrating when someone on my team does something stupid. Like you say, FFXII's gambit system did a decent job of correcting that but I still didn't find that particular brand of micromanagement very fun.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2018, 04:01:18 AM »
Using the Defend Command and having to wait until the character's turn for the Defend effect to come up. Why even bother with it at that point when you aren't stopping the extra damage, since any fight that it'd be an issue in the first place is one where the enemy is clearly out Agiliting your guys?

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2018, 05:34:02 PM »
In the majority of JRPGs I've played, defend is a pretty useless command.  Notable exceptions include the Megami Tensei series and Legend of Dragoon.  In those games, judicious use of defend made all the difference.
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2018, 09:19:56 PM »
The Defend command is the greatest of clutch moves.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2018, 12:01:41 AM »
The Defend command is the greatest of clutch moves.

Which is why it sucks when it doesn't work as intended/at all.

SonicDeathMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2018, 01:48:06 AM »
wow that is so true. using the defend move is clutch, but it's a complete gamble if you don't know if it's gonna activate when you want it to. i'm currently replaying skies of arcadia (the gamecube remake so i can finally get all the discoveries and chams without the broadband adapter i never had), and trying to defend in ship battles and getting screwed over by not only failing to defend, but also completely wasting a turn, is infuriating. luckily the game is pretty easy regardless. lol

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2018, 01:21:49 AM »
Gonna be a bit more esoteric here, but playing Xenoblade2 made me realize something that's been bothering me with jRPGs that I couldn't quite pinpoint (because XB2 actually does it right). One reason I love jRPGs is their insanely creative world building, both physically and culturally. Creating societies that revolve around tech and social ideas that are really quite alien. Unfortunately, most games do a REALLY SHITTY JOB of dealing with the implications of them. They're typically just a neat facade, you accept it and move on. In Xenoblade2, this comes in the form of a (wood be) Master/Slave race relationship. We've seen it in Ar Tonelico, and many other games that have beings who's only goal is to serve. This is just one example of incomplete world building that you see in jRPGs. Some teenage fantasy of having control over another (hot) person. Thankfully, XB2 tackles this pretty head-on as a part of the story. But it really brought up the fact that many other RPGs do a terrible job in rectifying their ethically dubious culture building.