Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7545 on: September 13, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
Fate/Grand Order: Well, that was anti-climactic.  My intent was to blitz through the story, and call this game done, but I've hit a wall.  They're releasing the game in installments, and it seems chapter two is all there is for now.  My main characters have hit their current level caps (and farming for ascension material is apparently best done during events), so I guess I'm putting this on the back burner.

Seultoria

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: September 16, 2017, 09:23:32 PM »
Already 27 hours into Trails of Cold Steel 2. Gonna have to start playing slower from here on out, but this game and its predecessor have rekindled my love for RPGs.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: September 16, 2017, 11:51:26 PM »
Hold the presses people: Mickey's playing an RPG!

But seriously, I picked up Eliminage: Original for the 3DS, and I'm having an okay time with it. Just completed the intro segment, and now the game has opened up drastically. Looking forward to seeing where this goes, though it'll likely be slow-going, since I'm still maining, like, 5 online Free-to-play games, plus Street Fighter V and Overwatch.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: September 17, 2017, 07:51:05 AM »
Already 27 hours into Trails of Cold Steel 2. Gonna have to start playing slower from here on out, but this game and its predecessor have rekindled my love for RPGs.
Hurray! More love for Cold Steel 2. So what specifically about the Cold Steel games have you been loving that you felt other games have been missing?

Seultoria

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: September 17, 2017, 08:38:51 AM »
Hurray! More love for Cold Steel 2. So what specifically about the Cold Steel games have you been loving that you felt other games have been missing?

Well, it's not that other games have been missing things, it's just being older and having more responsibilities that limits my time available for gaming and other hobbies, so I need really good games to keep my attention.

What I think ToCS 1/2 (not as fun to write out as TiTS, and will need to play those in the future) does very well is character development, world building, story, and battle system. It's rare for a game to have all of those elements, and usually the SMT series is the only other series that has all of these qualities, but even then, the main line of SMT games usually favor the world building while the character development is nonexistent. Or there are games like the Tales game that have great characters and a great battle system (or in some recent entries between Graces f and Berseria, an average one), but don't have the best plots (though Abyss has my favorite plot in the series).

Spoiler for those who haven't played ToCS yet:
Spoiler: show
I love the Divine Knight battles as I am a huge mecha fan!

Also ToCS has my RPG waifu Claire.

I've been playing Trails of Cold Steel and I'm at the final boss in the old schoolhouse. I have tried twice (even tried with the option of weakening the boss after dying) and then another time and cannot defeat him. I have tried using Crafts to delay the boss (using Rean, Gaius and Jusis) and then having Rean and Emma spam Impassion to keep CP up and use Chrono Drive to make my characters faster, but the fucking boss after some time just ignores the huge time delay he should have and then starts fucking up my characters. I've watched several gameplay videos to see if I did anything wrong and saw that people were winning with different strategies and party members.

Maybe I just need to level grind, but yuck.

EDIT: Literally spent all day (not kidding) finishing this game. Was able to figure out a strategy to win without taking much damage, but damn did those battles take a while.

Also, all of those twists at the end! I didn't see most of them coming. I'll just say that I'll be going around the city trying to find the Trails of Cold Steel 2, but will probably take a break from gaming until December (I have CPA exams to study for and was distracted by playing Cold Steel because this game is incredibly engrossing. Definitely a Top 5 JRPG for me.

The final boss took about 4 tries for me. The problem for me was I only had 2 characters that had accessories to block vanish. Eventually I won by having Rean, Alicia, and Jusis (with Laura and the force orb coming in late) all clumped together with Sharon way on the other side of the screen. The boss kept going after sharon (Sharon had high magic/damage evasion and I think she had a high defense and orb that attracts?). Jusis used platinum shield, Rean used s-crafts and the other character buffed CP with techniques or that final recipe that gives you 77CP. I never used chrono drive to my knowledge.

Cold Steel 2 is just as good. I wish I could play it for the 1st time again.

How did you have Sharon for the final boss in ToCS 1?

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: September 18, 2017, 05:07:39 PM »
I'm about five~seven hours in Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (PS4). Somewhere near the end of chapter two, I believe. So far, it's been fun getting back into the series. I get a little lost with the dungeons maps sometimes and knowing where to climb, what obstacle to knock down or get assistance on (fingers crossing that I have enough peeps to get that rolling).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:20:13 PM by EmeraldSword »

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: September 18, 2017, 07:55:09 PM »
Valkyria Chronicles 3:

Kurt Irving graduated from the military academy at the top of his class, and after leading the troops under his command to victory in his first two battles, his future looked bright.  But after unknowingly witnessing a suspicious transaction between a general and a civilian (spy?), he finds himself suddenly transferred to Squad 422 (The Nameless), a small unit populated by criminals and other expendables.

He is not welcomed.  The first squadmate he encounters almost kills him, half the team won't acknowledge him as leader (even though he's the ranking officer), and the rest ignore him completely. 

The plotline is parallel to VC1; as the narrator explains what the main Gallian forces are doing, I keep thinking to myself, "Hey, I was there for that!"  It looks like the writing is going to be more mature than VC2 (no "anime highschool", yet), but I'm a little concerned about the story telegraphing its punches.  (There's a girl with some silver in her hair and the "Mysterious Body" potential.  I hope I'm not supposed to be surprised at her true nature when it is inevitably revealed.)

The translation is fairly good (for being fan-made), although there are some technical issues, such as misaligned text. The translation project is clearly incomplete; I'm hoping that all of the main story was translated, but some of the ancillary material (newspaper articles and such) is still in Japanese.  I can cope with a little katakana here and there, but I hope I don't have to break out the dictionary later on.

My major complaint (aside from the lack of an official translation), carries over from VC2:  This is a PSP game.  The maps are still segmented into small chunks, and the AI is still as dumb as a concrete post.  As much as I love the VC style of gameplay, it feels wasted on a handheld.

P.S.  In case you're wondering, yes, I imported a physical copy.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: September 18, 2017, 09:05:19 PM »
Hey, if anyone's interested in a game called Hand of the Gods: SMITE Tactics, let me know. I got a spare key for the Closed Alpha tests on PS4...just thought I'd throw that out there.

Bah, guess I'll post the info link: https://www.handofthegods.com/

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: September 19, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »
Having sharon for CS1 would have been a neat trick, but alas was talking about CS2.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: Yesterday at 06:04:51 PM »
One of my biggest beefs with the VC games is unskippable enemy sequences. They definitely work wonders in the Fire Emblem games.