Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7770 on: December 29, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »
Also started Resonance of Fate on my PS3. Has a hell of a learning curve, as I spent the first hour messing with tutorials, but it definitely shows promise.

I hate that fucking game so much. Good luck.

I loved it and still hated it, if that makes sense.  Frustrating lack of narrative and stupid difficulty spikes makes finishing the game a chore.  And yet the cast is awesome and the customization and battles are oddly addictive.  Also: what else out there is ANYTHING like this?  Just its uniqueness alone makes it worth a try.

It makes sense, as I agree with your points. It is indeed unique. Battles are (mostly) fun, once you learn how to make the right movements, and put out large amounts of damage.
The difficulty spikes killed it for me, though. ...Putting so much in-game money and real time into maximizing your customizations and skills to get past a certain battle, only to have enemies in the very next room/battle shake off your attacks like they are an itch. This game carries the distinction of being the only RPG I've ever rage-quit while in the final dungeon.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: December 29, 2017, 11:45:14 AM »
Yeah, the game really does not give you the resources you need to succeed, made doubly condemning by the massive amount of cosmetic customization you can do, which just draws away even more precious money.  So they build this incredible clothing/style customization into the game, and then balance it in such a way as to punish you for using it.

Ugh.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: December 29, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »
Odd, I felt like the difficulty of Resonance of Fate was entirely front-loaded.  Don't get me wrong, it is a very difficult game early on.  But once you're past a certain point and start abusing the weapon customization and other mechanics, it's kind of a total cakewalk.  Including the final boss.

...which is not really how you're supposed to design games, but that's how I felt.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: December 29, 2017, 08:26:33 PM »
Completed .hack//gu 1-4. Grand total of about 70 hours. 

The 1st 2 series are a bit of a padded slog and Haseo remains a monsterous dick for the bulk of both. However it redeemed itself late. The final 12 hours of part 3 were excellent and the final boss fight of 3 was fun. I didn't do that forest of pain thing as going through 100 levels just nah.

It was a proper remaster though. The game looks and plays better than the 1st. A bunch of extras and a 5 hour epilogue tacked on. 7.5/10

I love the parody cutscenes. Why don't all games have this?

Torn between buying a switch and XBC2, Life is strange prequel (didn't even play the original), and A Walk in the woods for next game.

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: December 29, 2017, 10:23:13 PM »
None of the characters were well developed enough for me to feel much of anything for them.  Maybe that changes in ME2/3?

Yes, characterization is ME2 forte.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: December 30, 2017, 02:06:10 PM »

I think you had it right the first time, bro.  Just because they have a tiny function in-game doesn't mean you're not littering your house with pointless trinkets.  Spend your money how you will, of course, but as an adult hobby, figurine collection seems like one of the least practical and least beneficial of them all.

Well now, I never said I was against toy/figurine collecting. Amiibos themselves were a turn off for me. No no my friend, I've made a fortune off of collecting, buying and re-selling toys. I'd never stop. When I made the move to a private studio as an artist going into business strictly for myself I funded the entire thing with my PS2 collection and import figurines, the collection was like money in the bank that appreciated value far faster than anything I could have predicted.

Second up was my collections of ninja turtles and power rangers.

See, the key is non-attachment my friend. Enjoy em on a shelf now but don't be afraid to sell when the time is right. It looks like the Pink Ranger but in truth it is a dollar-saved!!!!
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: January 01, 2018, 09:54:44 AM »
So I basically blazed through all three main games of Danganronpa the past 3 weeks or so and I can't help but feel really disappointed at V3.

1 was great and set up an awesome premise with a pretty funny overall cast and some good mysteries to solve. The only real issues I had with 1 was how a lot of the cast were just stereotypical representations of their individual talents while barely developing past their tropes (bar like two characters near the end of the game).

2 is probably my favorite of the three because I think it improves upon 1 in almost every way possible. A lot of the characters are still tropey sure, but I think that at least this time around their talent/personality match made them much more interesting characters to talk to during FTEs. My only gripe here would be that there are too few FTEs throughout the main game to really get a good grasp on the cast overall and that the game does too little to bring out the more interesting side to the characters throughout the game in general. Not to mention that there are like 6 hidden scenes in the first half of the game which are all but impossible to view on your first playthrough because they're gated behind a slot machine/expensive vendor.

V3 just feels like it tapered off the moment its incredibly strong first act came to a close only to kick me in the face with its ending. The characters felt, even MORE, one dimensional than 1's cast and a lot of them couldn't even take a step outside of their individual gimmicks/catchphrases, which became especially annoying when they started clogging up the gameplay for no reason whatsoever. At this point, I was basically playing the game out of compulsion to finishing the series, but I was pretty firmly bored for about 24 hours of my 30-hour playthrough. The ending is another issue entirely that I feel was just really haphazardly written, but my meh attitude towards the game began long before I even approached the final chapter.

Man, just needed to get this off my chest lol.
"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears.. in rain" -Roy Batty

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: January 02, 2018, 11:23:58 AM »
Wild Arms 2 - Both the Alchemic Plant & Emulator Zone were among the worst dungeons yet. More tedious than fun. I hope this isn't a sign of dungeons to come...
The music for Guild Galad is pretty great, though.

EDIT: Kanon has joined the party. She seems OK in battle. Very little personality outside of battle, though. Also, Brad has (un)surprisingly returned to the party. Aw yeah.
Just got done at The Coffin of 100 eyes. Currently heading out to look for some Demon Pillars, or some such. Happy to report the last few dungeons were much better than the few preceding them.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:21:06 PM by Frostillicus »
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: January 03, 2018, 03:44:53 PM »
Finally finished Tokyo Xanadu on my Vita. Good game, but I'm glad to get it over with.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: January 03, 2018, 09:10:57 PM »
Wild Arms 2 - Both the Alchemic Plant & Emulator Zone were among the worst dungeons yet. More tedious than fun. I hope this isn't a sign of dungeons to come...
The music for Guild Galad is pretty great, though.

EDIT: Kanon has joined the party. She seems OK in battle. Very little personality outside of battle, though. Also, Brad has (un)surprisingly returned to the party. Aw yeah.
Just got done at The Coffin of 100 eyes. Currently heading out to look for some Demon Pillars, or some such. Happy to report the last few dungeons were much better than the few preceding them.

I think for the Diablo Pillars, if you want to 100% the game, then you're going to want to fight around inside them for a while since you can only enter them during their plot relevance.

As for Kanon, poor Kanon. If Liz and Ard are the posterboys of this game's failed localization, she's the runner up. Gameplay-wise though, she's at the total mercy of the RNGods. If you're really really lucky, you can actually take her to the endgame and perhaps even the postgame since her survivability issues stop mattering at that point and she becomes a low maintenance DPS nuke. If you aren't, she's hot garbage who's only good for stealing shit and maybe throwing out a first turn rez or something.

Either way, she's basically the game's fifth wheel (which is amazing since you already have one by that point by the name of Tim).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: January 04, 2018, 10:32:45 AM »
^ I've been using the main three characters for pretty much the whole game. Speaking of Tim, I never understood why I should even use him, beyond the Combine ability....
*I just got curious and looked at a FAQ, and saw that he can learn abilities from attacking enemies with mediums equipped. I did not know that.  I'm not sure if it wasn't explained well, or I just wasn't paying attention. Given the bad translation, I'm going to assume the former. I was wondering where the hell a group healing spell was...
I don't have any desire to stay in the pillars any longer than I need to. Some of the enemies in them are annoying as hell, with their spamming of status attacks.

Anyway, I've gotten three of said pillars done at this point. Caina's was the toughest so far. Gonna hit up the 4th today.
I managed to stumble onto the quest for 2nd level magic, and got 'er dun, but most of the spells cost too much FP.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: January 04, 2018, 06:14:13 PM »
^ I've been using the main three characters for pretty much the whole game. Speaking of Tim, I never understood why I should even use him, beyond the Combine ability....
*I just got curious and looked at a FAQ, and saw that he can learn abilities from attacking enemies with mediums equipped. I did not know that.  I'm not sure if it wasn't explained well, or I just wasn't paying attention. Given the bad translation, I'm going to assume the former. I was wondering where the hell a group healing spell was...
I don't have any desire to stay in the pillars any longer than I need to. Some of the enemies in them are annoying as hell, with their spamming of status attacks.

Anyway, I've gotten three of said pillars done at this point. Caina's was the toughest so far. Gonna hit up the 4th today.
I managed to stumble onto the quest for 2nd level magic, and got 'er dun, but most of the spells cost too much FP.

Its not really explained in game. Your biggest clue is to pay attention to his Status Screen and notice that the numbers next to his spells are going down after battle (also, its not even fighting battles but by killing enemies himself that does the trick).

That said, Tim's other problem is that there really isn't that much difference between him and Lilika. Lilika's the best simply due to requiring far less grinding than the other two and by having the best stats and Force Abilities to make use of her spellcasting abilities. Tim is an okay-ish alternative, but between his massive grind and enemies eventually developing elemental resistances making his AoE spells less attractive, his use wanes by the endgame.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: January 04, 2018, 08:48:26 PM »
Almost through ep 1 in Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Holy crap this game is good, hope it keeps up.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: January 05, 2018, 12:31:22 PM »
I'm back! For a few days at least until spring semester begins.

Anyway, I've been able to do some holiday gaming. Mostly the Champions' Ballad, but I did also start Bravely Second (though I'm not that far into it yet).

As for the Champions' Ballads, I was hoping for a bit more rigorous narrative experience, but I guess I appreciated what was there. I loved the new shrines! They were challenging and fun. The new dungeon was only okay, but I really enjoyed the boss fight even if it was a tad on the easy side. I think the motorcycle is mostly meh. Kind of fun to use to get around, but not as useful as a horse in combat since you have to keep your finger on the A button to keep moving. Regardless, I'm going to motor up to Hyrule Castle on it and fight Ganon one more time.

After that, I guess my BotW experience is finished. It's pretty much the only game I've played since it released (I did play through TP afterward, but only to upgrade the Wolf Link Amiibo for BotW). I finished the main story in April, and the rest of the shrines a couple weeks after that, and just kept exploring through summer and when I needed a break during fall semester. It's hard to believe, but after today I'm going to put the disc back in its case for the first time since I took it out back in March.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: January 05, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
Its not really explained in game. Your biggest clue is to pay attention to his Status Screen and notice that the numbers next to his spells are going down after battle (also, its not even fighting battles but by killing enemies himself that does the trick).

That said, Tim's other problem is that there really isn't that much difference between him and Lilika. Lilika's the best simply due to requiring far less grinding than the other two and by having the best stats and Force Abilities to make use of her spellcasting abilities. Tim is an okay-ish alternative, but between his massive grind and enemies eventually developing elemental resistances making his AoE spells less attractive, his use wanes by the endgame.

I actually have to give Tim props for First Aid alone, although I suppose it's more the skill itself than him that's useful. Either way, comes in very handy in boss fights.
The great thing is that since battle party members can be swapped in and out at the beginning of any turn without penalty, you don't have to be committed to any of them.

Anyway, finished up the last Demon Pillar; took care of Heimdall Gazzo (rather enjoyed the Lost Vikings style escape puzzle); got through the stupid memory dungeon sequence with Anastasia; and now working my way through the Millennium Puzzle.