Author Topic: FF8 am i the only one who dislikes it so much?

Caine

• View Profile
FF8 am i the only one who dislikes it so much?
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:24:22 PM »
ok it's about 10 or more years ago since i played it! but recently i am trying to sell some of my ps1 games cause i didnt play many, many years now and collecting dust is also bad :( (breath of fire etc.)
i got the ps1 retail games of ff i think complete, even the super famicom remakes, still havent played ff 9 and hope it's much better!

the only ff game i would sell, even if my collection wouldnt be complete then, number 8. i have so boring thoughts from it. early in the game it's already more efficient to just case your summonings over and over and over and over..... (NON-SKIPPABLE summoning action, yeah, great!). the story as far as i remember was interesting but lacked heavily and many characters were bland.... the graphics were awesome and few elements of gameplay i remember very hard but overall it was just a very bad ff game because of the fighting system.........

do i remember correctly? what is your opinion :)!

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 am i the only one who dislikes it so much?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:04:46 PM »
Nobody likes FFVIII, but nobody dislikes it nearly as much as you do.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »
Honestly if there is one Final Fantasy that gets a lot of hate it is FF8 (EDIT: Or 13, I forgot 13). So no, I think you are in a very crowded boat my friend.

I actually replayed it recently and enjoyed it because of my own challenge I made for it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:50:33 PM by Starmongoose »

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 08:32:33 PM »
I remember not knowing what happened while I played it.... or during.  I can't recall muc about the battle system, it's on my 'to [re]play' list.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:41:53 PM »
I actually love the game despite its flaws. One of the best soundtracks I've ever heard and I actually really enjoyed the story. As for most people not disliking it, this is the one FF that I always find people bashing on... more so than FFXIII because people actually played FFVIII lol.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 10:22:10 PM »
I actually love the game despite its flaws. One of the best soundtracks I've ever heard and I actually really enjoyed the story. As for most people not disliking it, this is the one FF that I always find people bashing on... more so than FFXIII because people actually played FFVIII lol.

Shoutout to the Compression of Time which is so strange yet so sad sounding.  Blue Fields as well for being rather calm and similarly brings out a feeling of poignancy in me.

I also find the beloved opening sequence another ambivalent topic with me that straddles between beautiful and incredibly kitschy looking full of pseudo-wannabe-artsy effects (when the rest of the FMVs do much better, mostly because they don't try so hard).

"Whiiiiee!!" - Characters, probably

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 10:35:04 PM »
@Caine: No. VIII has been one of the three most disliked games in the main series for years. That's of course in terms of its own fanbase. But then again, the fanbase of FF is as much of a mess of views and recontextualized arguments as the one that Zelda has.

If anybody likes it, that's fine. And contrary to popular belief I'm hardly enough of a fan of most of the games FF has, inside and outside of the main series, to care personally. Much of the joy and good memories I did got out of VIII was from its soundtrack and art direction. The same goes for many of others FFs on my end.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 10:37:07 PM »
Say, did anyone wanna give me those "tips" to breaking FF8 that everyone talsk about?  I really wanna take a stab at it, and may do a journal on her one day...maybe. :/

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:38:06 PM »
ok it's about 10 or more years ago since i played it! but recently i am trying to sell some of my ps1 games cause i didnt play many, many years now and collecting dust is also bad :( (breath of fire etc.)
i got the ps1 retail games of ff i think complete, even the super famicom remakes, still havent played ff 9 and hope it's much better!

the only ff game i would sell, even if my collection wouldnt be complete then, number 8. i have so boring thoughts from it. early in the game it's already more efficient to just case your summonings over and over and over and over..... (NON-SKIPPABLE summoning action, yeah, great!). the story as far as i remember was interesting but lacked heavily and many characters were bland.... the graphics were awesome and few elements of gameplay i remember very hard but overall it was just a very bad ff game because of the fighting system.........

do i remember correctly? what is your opinion :)!

See, your problem is that you're still using GFs which after the early game drop off a cliff in usability. What you need to do is Junction your best spells to HP and Str/Int and whatever support abilities to Str/Int and start abusing Limit Breaks (lots of HP means that you'll have more health even at critical rather than smaller HP totals which requires far lower health to reach critical and is far more difficult to stay in critical rather healing yourself out of it or getting killed; and Str/Int are largely self-explanatory, the guys want Str and the girls want Int).

Don't be afraid to refine for Magic, a lot of really powerful spells can be gotten stupidly early if you know what to refine (Water is an incredibly early example since Fish Fins are easy to acquire and one goes for 20 Water apiece; Curaga can also be mass produced as soon as you hit a town that sells Tents).

Enc-None should be equipped at all times once its available since most enemies will scale their level to match your strongest character (and enemy stats grow faster than any PCs' do on their own).

For when you need AP and don't want the Exp, beat them to near death then use Card. This not only saves you from your level going up but nets you a card that you can refine into items (which can in turn be refined into spells with the proper refine ability) with Card Mod.

For added hilarity, stick a bunch of Drains on somebody's Stat-Att slot and have them keep a pocket full of Life spells and the Magic command for when an undead enemy shows up.

And if you know what you're doing, you could even unlock Squall's Lionheart on Disk 1 for an early nuke against bosses.

Basically, the game may have some serious issues, but if you look at it wrong, you'll end up breaking the game wide open in your favor. All you need is a good guide.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:47:06 PM »
FF8 is balanced as well as FF:Tactics

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 10:49:09 PM »
fwiw I got through the first two discs and most of disc 3 with GF spam. The Fujin/Raijin fight where either you have to fly or they have to fly, and the thing with uh... Rinoa living in the boobs of the space man woman bit where you can't hurt her (???) didn't work with the GFs.

I wasn't even doing the thing where you press buttons to boost the GFs, this was just straight GF spam.

Also Quistis gets a thing on Disc 1 that kills everything. Unless it stops working on bosses.

Also the shit with the Roombas being the things that were the highest form of life you evolved into and the secret headmaster was an obese, defective basement Roomba for no reason and did everything for no reason.

RIP Robin Williams :(

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:56:23 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:54:44 PM »
Yeah, the game kinda forgets to ween you off of GF spam until the second form of the final battle (or Ultimacia's Castle if we're being generous). You can basically brute force your way through the rest of the game without paying attention to anything beyond Fight and GF (and have at least a conceptual understanding of how Junctioning works).

FF8 is balanced as well as FF:Tactics

This is true, though it is easier to break FFVIII than it is to break FFT. After all, story battles can be a bitch if you don't spend too much time grinding or unlocking some of the more obscenely broken abilities.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 10:58:32 PM »
Say, did anyone wanna give me those "tips" to breaking FF8 that everyone talsk about?  I really wanna take a stab at it, and may do a journal on her one day...maybe. :/

As soon as you get Siren, learn L Mag-RF and turn Tents into Curagas to junction to your stats----> well ard!

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 10:58:49 PM »
FFVIII also gives you a GF that automatically summons at the start of battle ends ends it immediately after the animation ends. So it's not even like you have to manually spam GFs during the random battles, the game just start doesing it for you whether you want it does or doen't.

Also I would like to note that FFVIII was my favorite FF game until I was like 17. I played it for the first time when I was like 14. I really can't explain why I even would've liked it at the time (although I will maintain that Disc 1 was pretty solid I guess?) beyond something something emotionally vulnerable time in my life something clinging to anything something I listened to Radiohead a lot back then too I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:05:18 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 11:17:51 PM »
A lot of people harp on the drawing mechanic because it "takes too much time" even though drawing is only necessary about once or twice every few battles.
It's a solid game, although it's with FF9 and Legend of Dragoon in terms of games that made me get stuck on the third disc and never finish it, then my memory card goes bad, this happened twice with Dragoon.
I like the setting, being relatively modern but with some sci-fi added in.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.