Author Topic: FF8 am i the only one who dislikes it so much?

timmyFd

• View Profile
Re: FF8 am i the only one who dislikes it so much?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 11:25:31 PM »
The setting seems fairly close to what FF15 is going for.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 11:46:40 PM »
actually think type 0 has more in common with FF8. also i cant take anyone serious that complains about the summon animations because of the boost skill.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 12:52:29 AM »
A lot of people harp on the drawing mechanic because it "takes too much time" even though drawing is only necessary about once or twice every few battles.
It's a solid game, although it's with FF9 and Legend of Dragoon in terms of games that made me get stuck on the third disc and never finish it, then my memory card goes bad, this happened twice with Dragoon.
I like the setting, being relatively modern but with some sci-fi added in.

The final fight with Seifer in my original playthrough consisted of me doing nothing but sitting there Drawing Aura until Odin then Gilgamesh showed up and ended the fight. Frankly, its better to just keep Odin (though I don't recall if the Centra Ruins gets closed off like everything else in Disk 4) since he either shows up and wins the fight for you immediately or he doesn't, full stop. Gilgamesh though can show up and any time and likely whiff with Excalipur (or hit somewhere between 9999 and less than 9999 with his other two swords against enemies with 100k+ HP; fucking Ruby Dragons and Malboros).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Caine

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 07:42:40 AM »
thanks for all the replies, sadly i dont remember everything anymore but will check again maybe to refresh my memories :D! but seems my experiences werent so bad. the thing is that FF games were always harder without a guide than other rpgs (i mean if you play without a guide first and want to explore yourself etc. i do that always normally first cause to play with a guide straight is like cheating for me) and i could play all ff games without it so far (i only played the ps1 games with the super famicom rereleases but without ff 9 so far) even when i was despaired and anggry at the end of ff7 (i hardly made it!!!!) and reading the guide how much i missed etc. lol
but in ff8 i was also trying out a lot in combat mechanics, in my memory and opinion this game sucks harder though trying without a guide and obviously letting? you think the summoning spamming is more efficient :/

it is of course not a VERY bad rpg, but after the ff games and especially ff 7 i was so disappointed..... and still am :D, i  hope 9 - what number we got now? 14 or 15? are better ;D

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 08:15:35 AM »
thanks for all the replies, sadly i dont remember everything anymore but will check again maybe to refresh my memories :D! but seems my experiences werent so bad. the thing is that FF games were always harder without a guide than other rpgs (i mean if you play without a guide first and want to explore yourself etc. i do that always normally first cause to play with a guide straight is like cheating for me) and i could play all ff games without it so far (i only played the ps1 games with the super famicom rereleases but without ff 9 so far) even when i was despaired and anggry at the end of ff7 (i hardly made it!!!!) and reading the guide how much i missed etc. lol
but in ff8 i was also trying out a lot in combat mechanics, in my memory and opinion this game sucks harder though trying without a guide and obviously letting? you think the summoning spamming is more efficient :/

it is of course not a VERY bad rpg, but after the ff games and especially ff 7 i was so disappointed..... and still am :D, i  hope 9 - what number we got now? 14 or 15? are better ;D

The good news is that FFX is pretty good for the most part (though from the sound of it, you might have a bit of trouble with it since it follows FFs VII and VIII's footsteps more than earlier games), and FFX-2 hews a bit closer to older games (though you will need a guide, and also your mileage will vary depending on your tolerance on playing female video game characters).

The bad news is that unless you play MMOs those and FFIX are the highlight of the last 15 years of Final Fantasy (if MMOs aren't a problem then FFXIV ARR is very solid and FFXII is barely passable; the FFXI boat is beginning the process of sailing away though as it'll soon become a PC or bust game; XIII is a sloppy mess with the first game being a boring hallway simulator, XIII-2 is a more open ended version of XIII-1 though it wears its pants on its head in terms of plot, and XIII-3 is basically Valkyrie Profile: Hrist in disguise; and the rest are spin-offs or other insane sequels/compilations).

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 08:24:57 AM »
Don't pick a guide for FFX-2.
It's less tedious to not get the true ending and better (story) to not get the true ending.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 08:42:48 AM »
Say, did anyone wanna give me those "tips" to breaking FF8 that everyone talsk about?  I really wanna take a stab at it, and may do a journal on her one day...maybe. :/

A friend of mine who beat the steam version a while ago simply said "don't fight". Apparently, enemies scale with your level (even the big bad bosses) so if you avoid random encounters and just beef up your stats with junctions etc. you'll steamroll through most of the game. My memory is a little hazy on both the game mechanics and what he actually told me so take it with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:46:43 AM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 11:04:02 AM »
I actually love the game despite its flaws. One of the best soundtracks I've ever heard and I actually really enjoyed the story. As for most people not disliking it, this is the one FF that I always find people bashing on... more so than FFXIII because people actually played FFVIII lol.

Shoutout to the Compression of Time which is so strange yet so sad sounding.  Blue Fields as well for being rather calm and similarly brings out a feeling of poignancy in me.

I also find the beloved opening sequence another ambivalent topic with me that straddles between beautiful and incredibly kitschy looking full of pseudo-wannabe-artsy effects (when the rest of the FMVs do much better, mostly because they don't try so hard).

"Whiiiiee!!" - Characters, probably

I love Blue Fields! The songs that I always listen to are Balamb Garden, The Man With the Machine Gun, I'm a Lion, and the underrated final castle song :)

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 02:59:09 PM »
Say, did anyone wanna give me those "tips" to breaking FF8 that everyone talsk about?  I really wanna take a stab at it, and may do a journal on her one day...maybe. :/

A friend of mine who beat the steam version a while ago simply said "don't fight". Apparently, enemies scale with your level (even the big bad bosses) so if you avoid random encounters and just beef up your stats with junctions etc. you'll steamroll through most of the game. My memory is a little hazy on both the game mechanics and what he actually told me so take it with a grain of salt.

Also always use Squall's trigger attack. I'm not sure how common it is to miss, but for some reason I played the game first time through without using it once. Not that I actually see the point in breaking this game, as you can steamroll everything at level 100 with Meltdown, Aura, Lionheart, transmuting cards for 100 MEGALIXIRS and holy wars and w/e you want.

Generally I do like this game myself, a bit more than IX. I think both games had sort of sluggish battles, whatever tier plots with a few moments here, some obscure sidequests and annoying me by closing out places at the last disc... but FF VIII HAD THE BETTER CARD GAME SO IT WINS!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 03:45:58 PM »

Also always use Squall's trigger attack. I'm not sure how common it is to miss, but for some reason I played the game first time through without using it once. Not that I actually see the point in breaking this game, as you can steamroll everything at level 100 with Meltdown, Aura, Lionheart, transmuting cards for 100 MEGALIXIRS and holy wars and w/e you want.

Generally I do like this game myself, a bit more than IX. I think both games had sort of sluggish battles, whatever tier plots with a few moments here, some obscure sidequests and annoying me by closing out places at the last disc... but FF VIII HAD THE BETTER CARD GAME SO IT WINS!

Sorry but FFIX has far better characters, far better writing, better battle mechanics, four person parties, tons of references, plus Chocobo Hot and Cold.

As for why people should break the game, it mostly stems from the fact that high level enemies tend to have 10s of thousands of HP apiece (with some sporting 100s of ks), and that aside from Eden everything is throttled by the 9999 damage cap (just look at how badly Diabalo does in terms of scaling), thus fights turn into even bigger slogs without proccing multiple Limit Breaks every fight to power through some of the higher HP totals.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 05:08:09 PM »
You can still use No-encounters and there are ways to one shot lv 100 Ruby Dragons and T-Rexaurs, like Initiave+Degenerator on low hp Quistis (plus the occasional Odin). There's escaping too. It doesn't work on bosses, but then again is it that necessary to really cheese bosses? I don't really recall hearing VIII's scaling mechanics became an obstacle worth complaining about until recently. Not saying power gaming is the way to go, just that I don't think you're really screwing yourself over even if you play at max level. Ofc at max level you'd never fight a random battle again other than to mess around.

Unfortunately I never thought FF IX's battles were anything above average. Trance sucked, damage cap and no multi-hit attacks sucked, stat mechanics sucked, everything being slow sucked and it made summon mechanics less interesting again. Also when I talk about slow, I don't mean the enemy hp totals, but battle pace resulting from animations and load times. It's not actually as broken as VIII, but also not much fun in terms of doing stupid things and very easy outside something ridiculous like Ozma.

The chocobo's were cool though, much better than that whistle thing in VIII, not to mention all you get is some lousy stone to refine into magic. Or so I think, I only ever bothered to do it once.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »
You can still use No-encounters and there are ways to one shot lv 100 Ruby Dragons and T-Rexaurs, like Initiave+Degenerator on low hp Quistis (plus the occasional Odin). There's escaping too. It doesn't work on bosses, but then again is it that necessary to really cheese bosses? I don't really recall hearing VIII's scaling mechanics became an obstacle worth complaining about until recently. Not saying power gaming is the way to go, just that I don't think you're really screwing yourself over even if you play at max level. Ofc at max level you'd never fight a random battle again other than to mess around.

Unfortunately I never thought FF IX's battles were anything above average. Trance sucked, damage cap and no multi-hit attacks sucked, stat mechanics sucked, everything being slow sucked and it made summon mechanics less interesting again. Also when I talk about slow, I don't mean the enemy hp totals, but battle pace resulting from animations and load times. It's not actually as broken as VIII, but also not much fun in terms of doing stupid things and very easy outside something ridiculous like Ozma.

The chocobo's were cool though, much better than that whistle thing in VIII, not to mention all you get is some lousy stone to refine into magic. Or so I think, I only ever bothered to do it once.

FFVIII's battles were even slower than FFIX's, especially if you're running around in critical all the time since doing anything meant that your characters had to cycle through their slow ass animations for their various poses. FFIX had a similar problem but character animations themselves weren't as much of a problem. Also it was nice having characters that did certain things and held specific roles rather than just a bunch of interchangeable stacks of Meltdowns, Auras, Curagas, Ultimas and GFs with Limit Breaks being the only real defining trait.

Though I will admit that Trance was pretty lame.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 06:51:18 PM »
FFIX's problem was that it ran at like two frames per second.

May or may not be related to the PSX having like 3.5 megs of ram total.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »
FFIX's problem was that it ran at like two frames per second.

May or may not be related to the PSX having like 3.5 megs of ram total.

Haha it's not nearly that bad as much as I think the jaggies and aliasing on the graphics make it look like shit.

And yeah, for how awesome FF9 is in many areas, the battle system is far from what I find great about it.  It' serviceable, and that less is more could be fun if it wasn't so damn slow (seriously, boss battle are the most ridiculous "challenges" in that game)
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 10:52:14 PM »
I was pretty down on VIII when I was a kid, but then later on I replayed it and it grew on me exponentially. Nowadays it's firmly in my top 5 FF games. My only real gripe with it anymore is that I would've liked a few more party members, as the only one of the main 6 I really liked was Zell.