Author Topic: Dincrest needs music recommendations again

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Dincrest needs music recommendations again
« on: March 04, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »
As most of you know, I love metal.  However, I've noticed that as much as I enjoy harsh vocals, I'm starting to veer away from the more incoherent growlers who enunciate poorly.  I'm into lyrics and several of these bands put great effort into crafting meaningful lyrics, yet when I'm listening in my car I can't really "sing" along since I can't quite make out what they're saying because they enunciate all mush-mouthed. 

I first noticed this when listening to the new Rivers of Nihil song "The Silent Life" (great song) and was able to understand a lot of the words without consulting a lyric sheet. 

So, anyway, who are some good harsh vocalists who enunciate well and can be understood? 

I'm already familiar with Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth), Paul Kuhr (Novembers Doom), Devin Townsend, and sometimes Johan Hegg (Amon Amarth) and Burton C. Bell (Fear Factory) but I'm looking for more.  I figured that since RPGFan is a hotbed for fellow metalheads, I would call upon thee. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:10:50 PM by Dincrest »
The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know a darn thing.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: Dincrest needs music recommendations again
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:03:08 AM »
While not one of my favorite bands, Winston McCall of Parkway Drive is an impressive metal vocalist. Nice amount of range (no cleans), and he enunciates well.

Sleepwalker

"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 06:13:47 PM »
Parkway Drive isn't a band I typically listen to, but that vocalist was outstanding.  Too bad the rest of the song (the riffs, the progression, et al) was very by-the-numbers mallcore. 

I see Parkway Drive's vocalist the way I saw the bassist in Mudvayne- both are/were way too good for the crappy bands they're in and need to upgrade. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:16:14 PM by Dincrest »

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 09:52:06 AM »
I agree with your sentiment, sir. There's a reason they tour with bands like.. ugh, Emmure.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
Din, I know I have mentioned them to you in the past, but are you into Gojira? Joe enunciates well enough, and I can never get enough of progessive/groove metal.
Unfortunately, I can't recommend their recent work, but their older stuff is great.

Toxic Garbage Island

Liquid Fire

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 05:42:16 PM »
Again, we share a brain.  Gojira's stuff can be very hit or miss.  Liquid Fire is a killer song, though.