Author Topic: Artimicia's JRPG battle

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Artimicia's JRPG battle
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 04:20:35 AM »
Love how this has turned into a Persona 3 vs 4 debate (PS, 4 wins).

But then, the original BoF was so generic and forgettable what can you even say about it...

Well BoF tricked me into liking it even though it had talking animals. I've always had a real distaste for anthropomorphism and somehow capcom dooped me into not noticing or something, so there is that.

Then to expand beyond it's series origins, the franchise as whole did sport some memorable aspects. Character fusion and the flying-somewhat-customizable-town in 2 was interesting. And 2 also had Sten!! WE ALL LOVED STEN

Ultimately though yea, I'm just kidding around here. BoF is totally a case of having to put up with ALOT of crap'ohla in light of the few endearing aspects the series had sprinkled throughout.

In contrast, SMT and Persona excel on so many levels this is really no contest in my book no matter which franchise entries you pit against one another.

Oh yea. BoF had crap-com-tastic artwork which, all kidding aside, I do appreciate.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 09:17:55 AM »
TBF, the only time I have ever actually played a Persona game (Innocent Sin), it SUCKED.

But that's also 17-year-old me talking (I played it on release).
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »
@Klyde Chroma you know damn well that aussie dolphin was the best thing ever.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »
Love how this has turned into a Persona 3 vs 4 debate (PS, 4 wins).

But then, the original BoF was so generic and forgettable what can you even say about it...

BoF did 'try' to do some interesting things with its plots (stuff like BoF3's Myra's caged world, BoF4's time spent playing the opposing side, Dragon Quarter's twist on the dragon transformation making the resident Ryu a walking timebomb instead of the chosen one), which is a far cry more than Persona's 'SMT in Japanese Highschool Anime #58008, #58009, #58010, #58011, #58012, #58013, etc...'. Hell, I even bet that the newly announced Atlus Fantasy is basically going to be Persona with Elves instead of just another random Japanese Highschool, just like TMS was just Persona with Fire Emblem characters.

Or to be a less biased asshat, I feel that the Persona series has the better side characters, but Breath of Fire had the better writing.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 03:13:00 PM »
@Klyde Chroma you know damn well that aussie dolphin was the best thing ever.

Mmmmkay, I concede that a quasi-mecha looking dolphin with an appetite for fairy is probably something we will never see in other media as long as we live. POINTS FOR ORIGINALITY

TBF, the only time I have ever actually played a Persona game (Innocent Sin), it SUCKED.

But that's also 17-year-old me talking (I played it on release).

Funny you mention this. My first experiences were with the PSX release of Persona and I swore the series was hot trash. Never thought I'd look at it again. Fast forward to adult-hood and after playing P3 and P4, I took Dincrest's suggestion to try P2. I ended up playing P2 IS and EP back to back and now rank them amongst some of the best experiences I've had in gaming.

Persona 2 (both parts) are most certainly trials of patience. Lets make no mistake about it, the games are unforgiving in certain respects that can REALLY where down your motivation. However you'd be hard pressed to find anything else like them in setting and tone, period. In short, if you are in the mood for something familiar yet so far out in left field it hardly even resembles what you've come to identify as a JRPG it may just be the game for you.

All that stated, I can easily see this being an experience to turn someone off to the franchise entirely if they don't know what they are getting themselves into.

Reflecting on it, I think P2 vs. BoF3 would have been a more appropriate contest. They both sort of fail/succeed in the same respects albeit by completely different/opposite convention altogether.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 05:56:21 PM »

TASTY!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 08:23:42 AM »
Ok I think we have something like 2 votes for P3 and 2 for BOF3, with Aeolus sort of taking a middle ground-ish area, I guess you would be the tiebreaker Aeoli if you decide to pick one over the other.

Thanks for the responses people, we could of done a P2 vs BOF3 or whatever but I never played P2 so I'm trying to stick to stuff I've personally played.

If anyone wants to comment on the previous battle feel free, (Persona 3: FES vs BOF3), however, I am going to go ahead and ask about the next one if anyone wants to, which is the original Wild Arms (Wild Arms 1) vs Xenosaga Episode 1

vs

Also the plan for the next one is Saga Frontier 1 vs Suikoden 1

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:57:32 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 11:08:51 PM »
well XS1 is my all time fav game so I'm going for that. Didn't like WA1 all that much, and only played to for about 15 hours. I sort of remember a large number of random battles mixed in with puzzles.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 05:13:44 PM »
Ahhhhh man. This one is a toughy.

XS1 vs WA1 is like taking two foods I never want to eat again and asking me which I'd rather not eat tonite. The answer is neither. I've identified both as baaaaaad flavors, to be certain.

There is so much wrong with both games I don't know where to begin, so rather than be longwinded about this I'm just gonna cut to the chase and vote Xeno.

This was a good comparison because both titles fail in similar ways in my book. Too long for their own good, really trying the players' patience (albeit through different mechanism entirely).

Normally I would pick Wild Arms cause I do so love me a classic styled RPG but in this case Xeno's characters and writing seal the deal for me.

Now, while my official vote is Xeno, I will say this much in regard to the contender. Wild Arms soundtrack, opening sequence/intro, spritework and dungeon and puzzle design are all very much noteworthy.

Finally (to re-state my opening) no one will be getting me to ever play either of these games through to the credits ever again. The end.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:15:17 PM by Klyde Chroma »

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 06:09:07 PM »
Hm, so 1 to 1 at the moment! (Although one 1 wants to be a zero it seems!)

I think I'll wait around awhile and see if we can't get more votes and for the previous ones, I've thought of a few more crazy comparisons though.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 08:18:49 PM »
Never played WA1, but if WA2 taught me anything, its that Nuclear Dragons are superior to robots that barely amount to powered armor (I'm talking about the A.G.W.S.; not the later E.S. or the still in that game KOS-MOS). Ergo, WA1 > XS1.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 08:52:08 PM »
Xenosaga 1  was everything I hate about cinematic RPGs so WA1 wins by default, despite 1 one of its puzzles being so infuriating that I could punch someone in the face, and resulted in me buying a guide.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 04:55:21 AM »
Xenosaga 1  was everything I hate about cinematic RPGs so WA1 wins by default, despite 1 one of its puzzles being so infuriating that I could punch someone in the face, and resulted in me buying a guide.

Oh God, you just reminded me of the 45 minute narrative sequence(s) without break or save points. I blocked those from memory.

I'm not changing my vote though. Loved Jr's character.

Funny though, I HATE the evolution of RPG's into cinematic experiences but WA1 did too much of that "infuriating me into violence" that you speak on to get my vote on this one.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 05:05:55 PM »
Ok so we have either 1 to 3 or 1 to 2 basically in favor of WA1 vs Xeno 1, so WA1 wins it seems.

Ok so the next one is

Saga Frontier 1 vs Suikoden 1

vs

And the one after hopefully will be Pokemon Red vs Super Mario RPG

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:58:11 AM by Artimicia »

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 08:40:04 PM »
Well I would love to vote Saga Frontier. Namely because Suikoden 1 is void of any challenge whatsoever and that is the cardinal sin for me personally. However in this case and comparison, I can forgive Suikoden 1 on that note based on the fact that it gets virtually everything else right.

Saga's strong points for me will always be the aesthetic and risks it took which, while novel and ahead of it's time, worked waaaaay better on paper then in execution. In truth though its been so long since I played it I'm really reaching back to the recesses of my memory when I say I recall the game to be a confusing and un-intuitive mess that I wanted dearly to love but just could not.

Suikoden 1 on the other hand does such a fantastic job of making it's world and characters compelling its hard NOT to be become emotionally invested. A handful of characters I really loved, decisions that impacted the narrative and who survived, optional content that rewarded players with more party members and castle expansion, a great soundtrack and data that loaded up and had relevance in the sequel all solidify my vote.

Suiko 1, no contest for me.