Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7980 on: May 23, 2018, 09:07:43 PM »
BTW, @Aeolus, what's LoZ:TH?

Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes.

I was posting about it a little while back, before I started digging in to RS2. I'm only really playing this one now because its kinda infamously unplayable without three people and the online died shortly after launch. Right now I've lucked into some randoms and I'm hoping to ride them for as long as I still can.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Der Jermeister

• A True Dragon Quest Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: May 23, 2018, 09:40:04 PM »
BTW, @Aeolus, what's LoZ:TH?

Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes.

I was posting about it a little while back, before I started digging in to RS2. I'm only really playing this one now because its kinda infamously unplayable without three people and the online died shortly after launch. Right now I've lucked into some randoms and I'm hoping to ride them for as long as I still can.
Ah, okay. I played some more Breath of the Wild this evening and have to soothe the water beast with shock arrows, but I got somewhat confused when I was tasked with getting twenty shock arrows, since apparently after looking at a guide I found that I only needed to put out the four orbs on the beast's back. I didn't finish the battle since I didn't know how long it would take, but I don't like it when games leave you confused like that.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: May 24, 2018, 10:31:14 AM »
BoF IV is best BoF, stick with it.  The payoff is one of the most gut wrenching scenes in the history of JRPGs. I literal teared up. 

I do want to keep at it, because I've had a good time up until this point.
...I'm currently still stuck at that dungeon. Kind of losing interest, because I've tried a bunch of times, and it's just really stupid.
I think I'm going to watch a youtube video of someone playing through that part (if one exists), so I can just get on with it.

Resonance of Fate - Encountered a difficulty drop in Chapter 13 where I simply had to give presents to children, but it shot straight back up even more in Chapter 14, where even normal encounters in the next story dungeon are kicking my butt. I am slightly racking up breakable items and to a lesser extent levels, and when I get enough hexes of a certain color I might link them to the arena and try it again (I'm stuck on a battle with four ailment-inflicting ogres).

It gets worse. As I've mentioned: It's the only game I've ever permanently rage-quit while in the final dungeon. The difficulty spikes (even between battles in the same dungeon) are straight up ridiculous. Good luck.

My own journal: HZD - Level 29. Roughly 35 hours. I've unlocked all cores, and have overridden all of the tall necks. Just kind of farting around, taking out bandit camps and corruption zones at this point. I'm starting to feel a bit burned out though, so I think I'm going to beeline the main quest line for a bit so that I feel like true progress is being made. Well..., I'll do that after I get myself a Bellowback heart so that I can get the best stealth outfit. It's proving to be a bit annoying through, because those fuckers never seem to drop any...
I'm not going to bother with the hunting grounds, or tedious gathering quests (metal flowers and the like).
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: May 25, 2018, 07:42:41 PM »
Well I beat the plot portion of Triforce Heroes, so now its time for me to sit back down with Romancing SaGa 2 Lufia II (oh, btw, I managed to stumble across a copy of this game, so between this and RS2, I'm getting the best of mid 90s JRPGs; now I just need to hope that IntSys announces that FE4 Echoes remake during E3 and I'll be goddamn set). Currently racing through a dungeon to reclaim a Crown from a pair of Male Thieves.

Edit: I have now retrieved the Crown and thus am officially in new territory not seen from my previous attempt at playing this game back in 1996.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:49:54 AM by Aeolus »

Der Jermeister

• A True Dragon Quest Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: May 26, 2018, 11:17:51 PM »
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I beat the boss of the aquatic elephant Divine Beast, which wasn't too hard since I had plenty healing items (almost all of which are a bit advanced for my current health), although I did somewhat have to look at a guide to get an idea on how to find the dungeon's terminals. Now I'm back to exploring.

Resonance of Fate - I managed after a few tries to beat the arena battle with the four ailment-inflicting ogres, and the matches afterward, surprisingly, have been really smooth sailing, with the main game having generally had schizophrenic difficulty. I recently grinded for some green hexes so I could link terminals to the arena, and intend to farm some more so I can get more terminals connected to get the most out of fighting in the arena.

Yakuza 0 - I'm somewhat annoyed that it took me nearly half an hour to get my first save opportunity (having missed the save point after the opening scenes), but the combat is enjoyable and the graphics good aside from no lip movement during a certain type of cutscene and the inability to scroll through much of the dialogue.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: June 03, 2018, 02:11:19 PM »
Lufia 2: Beat Gades, then beat him again, then skipped through time to fight another midboss. Was having quite a bit of trouble with that first one until I realized that de/buffs last the entire fight (whether the target gets KO'd or not doesn't matter). Its kinda busted (which is good because so to is the Defend command). After that, it was just figuring out a good pace for healing. As for the babynapping midboss, he's kind of a jobber once you put his adds to sleep. Now onward to the next major roadblock, The Ancient Cave.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: June 04, 2018, 12:35:07 AM »
Still farting around in Tales of Vesperia.  Currently on the Heracles destroying overmatched baddies on my way to an almost certainly overpowered Alexei.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: June 04, 2018, 08:31:06 AM »
The Ancient Cave: First dive status. Bailed on floor 30. Blue Chest Prizes: Boom Turban (penalties: 2x Gades Swords DAMN YOU GAME!!!).

Edit: Second dive status. Died on floor 31 to Blue Mimics spamming Frenzy. Penalties: Isis Jewel, Isis Urn, Hairpin, Snow Sword, Apron Shield (yeah, I fuckin' sucked).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:47:33 AM by Aeolus »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: June 04, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »
After spending two weeks in the Canadian wilderness, I came back home and just had to play Banished.  Played with the massive Colonial Charter megamod, Hard difficulty, Harsh conditions, Disasters on.  Started with 6 adults and 1 kid.  Slooooooowly worked my way up to 15 "adults", 3 students, and 7 kids.

Then a tornado struck, ignored the huge empty map, and went right through the center of my village, destroying 60% of the structures and 80% of my people.  I just turned the game off.  That was enough Banished, I think.

Back to Ni No Kuni II!  Getting ready to finish this one up.  About to do the final Dreamer's Door after finally completing all of the Research for them.  Should be able to do it.  After that, I'll probably just jump to the end of the game, if I can.  I really want to get my 100th citizen, though, and upgrade the Kingdom one last time.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: June 05, 2018, 11:59:36 PM »
The Ancient Cave Offensive: Dive 3 status. Bailed on floor 30 due to Blue Mimics blocking doorways. Blue Chest Prize was a Sizzle Staff for Selan. First chest opened landed me an Iris Ring.

Dive 4 status. Bailed on floor 34. Blue Chest Prizes: a Sizzle Sword, a Merak Plate, a Mega Ax, a Tidal Jewel and an Agony Helm. That's enough firepower to carry Dekar, Maxim and Selan down to the bottom floor and some solid Armor to match.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: June 06, 2018, 09:19:46 AM »
I know I said "that was enough Banished" but I have it another shot, started up a new village, played for about 50 minutes, and my laptop overheated.  No idea if I have an Autosave or not.

I'll just stick with NNK2, shall I?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: June 07, 2018, 06:57:13 PM »
The Ancient Cave Story: The Vth Decent. Departed at Floor 99. Blue Chest Prizes: Dia Ring, Snow Sword, Flame Shield, Blaze Sword and a Merak Plate. Blue Chest Prize Adjacent: Twist Jewel, Thundo Jewel. Treasures of Rule Iris: Iris Jewel, Master Jelly.

Yep. That's right. I beat it. I beat the cave in five tries. I was originally planing on fetching a few items and then leaving, but everything I needed basically fell into place. Welp. Now that I beat this game, I can go back to playing one of my other currently in-progress games (perhaps Lufia 2?).

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: June 08, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »
I'm about 20 hours into Bravely Second. Currently in the old aqueduct near Hartschild. Characters are around level 24.

This game gives you hard choices when it comes to getting classes from its predecessor. Sometimes it's easy-ish, like I knew I wanted Red Mage instead of Thief since they're BP tanks. But I had a really hard time choosing between Merchant and White Mage. I really don't care for the Holy Magic healing. It works out okay with Spellcraft but White Mage seems like it would be a better healing option to me based on past experience. So I really wanted White Mage, but I also wanted to make more money because I don't want to have to grind for pg if I can help it. I flipped a coin and went with Merchant, so I'll hopefully be rolling in the dough soon.

Currently I have Yew as a Summoner, Magnolia as Red Mage, Edea as Freelancer, and Tiz as Astrologian.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: June 08, 2018, 02:55:07 PM »
Just beat the final Dreamer's Maze, and it's lvl 95 boss, at level 69.  Actually feel really good about it.  Was an edge-of-the-seat experience, for sure.  Thank you, Poison Status Effect.  :)

I think I'm just about ready to finish this game.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: June 08, 2018, 10:01:14 PM »
Lufia 2: Return to the Rise of the Sinistrals. Picked this back up to resume the pl-....hold on, I've got this 'Forfeit Island' to check out.

Just beat the final Dreamer's Maze, and it's lvl 95 boss, at level 69.

Very Noice. :p