Author Topic: Q about racial bonus in games and character appearance

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Q about racial bonus in games and character appearance
« on: March 18, 2018, 03:08:43 AM »
OK, so I'm designing a small game right now and one thing I'm struggling with at the moment is "should I give the different races bonuses based on their uniqueness?".

I feel like I can see two major points of view and I've been going over it a lot in my head and I can see good arguments for both.
A general poll here with you guys would help me see what others think about it.

I'd like to know what your preference is between these when considering going through a character creation (think Skyrim if you will):
A) I like to play a race because of how it looks and like that the stats tie into it.
B) I like to play a race because of how it looks and like that stats do not have to factor in my decision which is purely esthetic.
C) I care more about the stats than the appearance and will chose any race as long as the stat bonus interest me.
D) I care more about stats than the appearance but will try and fine something which at least does not appall me even should I not choose what I think would be the best bonuses.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Q about racial bonus in games and character appearance
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:14:36 AM »
I'm an "A" guy.  Makes minmaxing/specialization more fun, but it also makes it fun to build "against type", like making an Orc Mage or something.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons