Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Today at 05:18:18 AM »
Oh hey, I found one that I didn't see on the list: Hakyu Hoshin Engi

A new adaption of a 90's manga. Looks pretty rad, reminds me why I loved those 90s anime designs. Very expressive.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Tomara on Today at 02:35:07 AM »
I don't know what to make of it and if I should throw orbs at it or not...

Pro:
-I could really use units like Robin and Tharja, and it's nice to see Lissa with an axe
-Strong skils
-Limited

Con:
-Tharja is celebrating Christmas in Australia in the worst way?
-I don't like the designs
-It doesn't make sense they're armour units!
-Best ones will probably appear in a Legendary banner eventually, perhaps as soon as the next one
-It's just plain yuck that's all Awakening again

I'm sitting on 107 orbs right now, so maybe I should just try to get one of them and be happy with whatever I get.
« Last post by Kevadu on Today at 02:03:19 AM »
Death March is shit even by isekai webnovel standards...and those aren't very high.

I don't know, I'm pretty meh on the whole upcoming season.  Hopefully something will surprise me...
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Hathen on Yesterday at 11:51:08 PM »
There's supposedly a banner with a Legendary Hero coming at the end of the month (might just be Fjorm again though), so I might save for that, though hopefully news of that will come before the Christmas banner ends. The flood of armor units is one thing, but I'm not crazy about those insanely broken B slot skills. I guess armor units did need a boost of some kind but that's probably too much, especially with the options that weapon refining opened. That and these units being limited.

A really popular build on lance units now is a refined Berkut's Lance which makes Effie really bulky (to say nothing of Wendy- the build works really well on Oboro and Donnel too, since most of them get +4 on a RES boon). The prize pull here is Tharja I'd say, because with that B slot, DC, Berkut's Lance and probably an Aether special it functions very similar to Brave Ike except able to get both the special charge acceleration and distant counter in the same build.

Also my free pull from Tana/Amelia BHB was 3* Nino.
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Yesterday at 09:33:44 PM »
Sorry, but every light novel adaption I've seen so far has been utterly disappointing, so I just stopped caring.

RE: Black Clover - oh, so it really is Naruto all over again? Complete with a screaming, obnoxious protagonist? Great...
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Annubis on Yesterday at 08:10:54 PM »
"All these n00bs aren't true fans; while we were playing Final Fantasy I, they were playing Mario!"  And now, looking back, did any of that righteous indignation nonsense even matter?

Well, the Mario poseurs created Rabbids, sooooooooooo...
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 08:06:55 PM »
Every subculture has that instinct to weed out poseurs.  It's like a misguided protective instinct to want to keep your "thing" pure and unsullied.  Like back when RPGs started becoming trendy/mainstream with FF7 opening the floodgates, a lot of old-heads cried foul that, "All these n00bs aren't true fans; while we were playing Final Fantasy I, they were playing Mario!"  And now, looking back, did any of that righteous indignation nonsense even matter?
« Last post by Annubis on Yesterday at 07:50:44 PM »
Pffff that last next season review is weak. There's not enough emphasis on Isekais.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen
New (anime) material from a side-story. Solid team so quality should be pretty good.

Death March Kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku
Satou gets transported to another world. He's almighty but actually doesn't feel like doing much with his power so he prefers the idea of just wandering around and try to live a normal life. Too bad he's a nice person and ends up saving others (and gathering more and more of a harem).

Fate/EXTRA Last Encore
Fate side content. Just like last season's FATE, don't expect anything impressive.
I guess Type-moon is starting to scrape the FATE barrel here.

Hitori no Shita: The Outcast 2nd Season
Season 1 was surprisingly good. It's a mystic / martial art action anime.
The main girl is quite something and makes the whole thing interesting (and by that I mean the plot around her)
I remember the plot of the last 2 episodes of season 1 being minor mind blown.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
Good comedy/life manga so likely good anime. Takagi keeps teasing Nishikata who swears that one day he'll stop falling to her pranks.
Takagi is a master troll. The author even had a chapter where she trolled the entire readership. It was magnificent.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
After a long depression due to an injury, a high school girl falls in love with a widowed old man that has a kid who helped her when she needed help.
Her love isn't being taken seriously by the man though who simply dismisses it. The story is her struggling to try and prove that she wants a serious relationship.
Don't expect some moe moe high school girl pandering here. This is seinen (serious adult).

Overlord 2
This season goes mostly away from the cast of season 1 and instead for a good while focuses on entirely new characters.
A brave move from the author that could have tanked the whole novel, but the new characters end up being endearing and interesting to the point where you root for them... as they fight... *REDACTED*

Pop Team Epic
Have you ever wondered what a meme gag manga written by an gamer / troll / NEET / otaku on acid would look like?
It would probably be awful and nobody would publish it... and then there's Pop Team Epic.
Give it a watch just to see if you like the humor. It's weird but it can be pretty damn funny if it's your kind of humor.

Black Clover
It's continuing... so this video will only get longer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA_CjK_Rbd8

Dragon Ball Super
UNIVERSE SURVIVAL ARC

As for specials/movies/ova... there's seriously nothing at all.
« Last post by Kevadu on Yesterday at 07:47:56 PM »
Wait wait wait... is there a video game actually called Dragon Maid, or is it some made up thing to make the weeaboo in the story seem really cringey?  I feel like Dragon Maid would be a thing. 

It's an anime.  Fairly popular one, actually.  I don't think there are any games about it yet but if there are it would probably just be a JP-only VN or something...

I think the weirdest thing about geek culture is the desire to root out the 'fake geeks'.  As if being a geek is so desirable that people are going to pretend in the first place...

In other news I got my new K-Type keyboard from Massdrop.  It came with two 'Z' keys and no 'X' key.  Seriously.  This is a $200 keyboard...amazing quality control they have there...
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 07:38:20 PM »
Wait wait wait... is there a video game actually called Dragon Maid, or is it some made up thing to make the weeaboo in the story seem really cringey?  I feel like Dragon Maid would be a thing. 

Memorable game shop encounters. 

-I was at a shop to buy a Game Boy Advance and Broken Sword many years ago.  I took my copy of Broken Sword to the counter and asked for a GBA to go with it.  The clerk said they only had blue and magenta and proceeded to grab a blue one when I said, "Yo, I want a magenta one." 
And he replied, "You want a pink one?" 
I said, "Yes, I want a pink one." 
"You seriously want a pink one?"
"Hell yeah I want a pink one."
"You 100% sure you want a pink one."
"Yes, I want a pink one.  None of my friends have pink ones, so when we've had a few and play multiplayer games, I will always know which one is mine."
"Whatever floats your boat, I guess..."
"I dare to be different!  Now give me a pink one or I walk."
I'll admit, a part of me did it out of spite because he simply assumed I wanted blue and did not have the courtesy to ask what color I wanted... but I also do dare to be different and I do like pink.  That being said, my favorite color is orange. 

-I was picking up my preordered copy of Persona 4.  The girl behind the counter helping me started geeking out about the game, and as she gathered my stuff to ring me up she started talking to me about cosplay and conventions (I had recently gone to ConnectiCon that year).  Yo, she even made me pinky swear not to look at the artbook till after I beat the game since it had massive spoilers.  The girl could not have been more than 18 or 19 and I was 30 at the time, so there was no way I was going to try to hit on her or anything because that would be creepy.  She was super cool, though, and were I 10 years younger, I would have tried my luck asking her out. 

And as far as people making assumptions based on your appearance and all... I got that most in the music realm.  People look at me and don't think I'm someone who listens to metal or punk, yet I'm a total metalhead punk rocker. 

Years ago, when I was in a punk band, this one old head punk offered me a beer and I said, "No thanks, man.  I don't drink."  Then he asked if I'd join him for a cigarette and I said, "No thanks, I don't smoke."  He looks at me with a raised eyebrow and asks, "So what the hell you doing at a punk show?"  I replied, "My band is playing later tonight.  Stick around, I'll see you in the pits."  (I wasn't dressed in any special clothes; just a dude with glasses wearing jeans and a  T-shirt.)

*time passes* 

After my band completed our set, we were out in the parking lot loading our gear into our vehicles when that oldhead comes up to me, claps me on the shoulders and exclaims, "DUDE!  Why the hell didn't you tell me you could shred like that?!?!?!?! (referring to my bass playing and stage presence.)"
I smiled, "That reaction is exactly why."
And he's like, "Well, your band fucking rocks!  You fucking rock!"
Me: "Did you grab one of our CDs?"
Him: "You bet!  And I'll definitely be at more shows." 
Me:  "See you in the pits then." 

Being part of a subculture isn't something you wear.  It comes from within.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10