Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Tomara on Today at 05:54:00 PM »
Nope. Can I get a quick summary?

I honestly can never leave them quickly enough upon entering.

There are some I like. It really depends on the people there. There's this chain called Nedgame and I used to visit a certain location several times a year. First, everything was well, but then money issues happened and the store was left with just one employee. I've had him close the store in front my of nose during opening times so he could get lunch at the place across the street. And sure, I get it, it sucks when you're alone for eight hours and can't take a real break without closing the store, but that timing was a little shitty. Worst was when he fucked up and put the wrong game in a case and I had make another hour+ trip there to get it fixed. He didn't even try to properly apologise, so I made him fill my stampcard so I could get a 50% discount next time. And again, I get it, people make mistakes, but man, that dude was unlikable. His replacement was a lot more fun. Even remembered me even though I didn't go there often and gave me old promo stuff I could give to the little ones.

My worst experience was with the owner of Game Over in Amsterdam. He used to try to use the forum of one of 'my' magazines to sell his "personal collection". A collection that consisted of mostly Daikatanas, FIFAs and other worthless overstock. We had to ban his ass multiple times before it finally stuck. Then he threatened to sue me, because apparantly it was his damn right to ignore our forum rules (commercial sellers are not allowed to promote or sell their products on our forums without our explicit consent) and act like a turd. The guy wasn't half as smart as he thought he was.
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Chronix112 on Today at 05:33:08 PM »
Next  season seems really meh to me.  I got a feeling a lot of people that are into Overlord are not gonna dig season 2 that much, at least for the 1st half of the season.

I am kinda interested in how Fate Extra turns out.

Will avoid Death March like it carries the plague.
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 05:21:21 PM »
Videogame stores are very awkward places, aren't they?

I honestly can never leave them quickly enough upon entering.

Also, huge ROFL at the way your Cold Steel I story ended.  Don't suppose you caught my rant about that exact same experience on the Discord?
Brush and Quill / Re: Book Thread Continued
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 05:18:56 PM »
I WILL NEVER AGREE TO DISAGREE!!!
« Last post by Tomara on Today at 05:15:33 PM »
Hey, is it weird that game store clerks point it out when you're buying games for both PS3 and PS4? I was buying some games for as gifts for family members (nice, wholesome mainstream videogame-fun like WipEout Omega Collection and Little Big Planet 3), and spotted a Trials of Cold Steel for PS3 for just 5. So I grabbed that one for me, because I definitely need another version of a game that's somewhere in a deeper statrum of my backlog. I get to the counter and the employee points out that I have a stack that consists of both PS3 and PS4 games. And I know, I know, the PS4 isn't backwards compatible and it'd suck if some unlucky kid would get a game they couldn't play for Christmas, but why assume I didn't know? Is this a mistake that still happens often enough, even at the tail-end of 2017, to warrant a warning? Would it have made a difference if I'd entered the store looking like a stereotypical gamer?

Maybe I'm just paranoid because people keep trying to explain Duck Hunt to me when I'm busy setting the high score for the evening.

Oh well, I did get to brag a little and be all like 'Nah, don't worry, I used to write for Official PlayStation Magazine. And [another major Dutch gaming magazine]. And also [a belgian gaming magazine]. Oh, and [a wellknown gaming site]'. In my soft, squeeky, 'shit, that's definitely a cold, are you okay?' voice, of course. I suck at bragging. I dunno how much they believed, but maybe it's just karma if they don't. There was another employee standing next to him, cute girl with teal hair, and last time I was there, I didn't make as much effort as I should have to save her from some weeaboo who really, really wanted to tell her all about Dragon Maid while she was trying to work.

Videogame stores are very awkward places, aren't they?

Actually, The Geek Empire as a whole is a little awkward. Many of its citizens think that if you don't wear the uniform, you couldn't possibly be one of them. But if you do don that comic book themed tee, the ever vigilant self-proclaimed gatekeepers might still find you suspicious.

Personally, I feel that if you have to prove you're not a filthy spy from Casual Kingdom anyway, you might as well do so while looking like one for maximum impact. Trial by combat while wearing my comfy pink cardigan? Hand me that zapper. I will teach you not to assume!

(Oh, by the way, in the end I couldn't buy Trails of Cold Steel, because there weren't any copies left. That may have been for the best.)
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 04:56:48 PM »
Suspending my disbelief is something I do all the time, especially when I play RPGs.  And in fantasy, I can totally suspend my disbelief about eldritch worlds with talking trees, monks shooting fireballs from their fists, a small party of meddling kids overthrowing an imperial army to save the world, all that good stuff.  I get plenty immersed into that stuff.  But sometimes things happen where I feel very consciously forced to suspend my disbelief and it makes the "this isn't logical, even within the illogical rules of this fantasy world" part of my brain hiccup.  It bugs me when some little thing is too pat and the planets were so perfectly aligned for something so incredibly specific to happen and there is no explanation. 

Sorry, but that one little interaction between Pippin and Grishnakh was that one place where it broke my immersion. 

That's a big reason why I like a lot of Brandon Sanderson's books.  Nothing in the first Mistborn trilogy happened "because F you, that's why" and everything was explained utilizing the "logic" of how that world works.  Sanderson deftly rode the edge of that knife where things could have totally slipped into "because F you, that's why" territory, but it didn't.  Dude is a master. 

At this point, Arvis, it may be best that we just agree to disagree. 

Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Today at 03:47:57 PM »
I figured I'd get a head start on looking at next season's anime, since I've been in the mood for some new anime in general. Been in sort of a rut for a while now.

The chart: http://anichart.net/Winter-2018

Only standouts for me personally are Trigger and A-1 picture's joint project, "DARLING in the FRANXX" - not just because of the people who are working on it, it just really sounds like my bag. Also the second season of "The Seaven Deadly Sins," though I might have to wait since I watch it on Netflix (maybe? I'll have to look and see whether they're simulcasting it or not).

There are others of note, of course:

Overlord 2 - I know some people here were looking forward to this. I really didn't care for the first season, it just doesn't seem like a story I could get behind. Still, it'd be nice if the second season is more faithful/a better adaption of that continued story, instead of rushing through what I'm told was an important arc.

Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls - a sequel to Basilisk, a series I have never seen, but at least I've heard of it.

Fate/Extra Last Encore - an anime adaption of the PSP game, Fate/Extra, presumedly so you don't have to put up with the gameplay to get to the good part now. I personally dislike the Fate series for a number of reasons, but I think there are a few members here who might be interested in how this turns out.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card - The adaption of the Cardcaptor Sakura sequel manga. I honestly haven't seen more than a single episode of the uncut version of Cardcaptor Sakura, and I still don't think it'd be something I'd get into. Still, it's interesting that it's getting a televised sequel after all this time. It really does feel like the 90's all over again!

Also, there's a sequel to The Silver Guardian. I barely even remember that being a thing.

The Disastrous Life of Saiki 2 andHitori no Shita: The Outcast 2nd Season are two other shows in that same bhoat. I completely forgot these were ever a thing, but I guess someone was asking for them(?)

You would think I'd be interested in Killing Bites, but I honestly haven't been more turned off by a series description in quite some time.

...that's all I got. Oh, and Yowamushi Pedal has a 4th season now...I still haven't seen the first season, since I'm not really into sports anime.
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 09:36:32 AM »
It's implied that the entire story of "The Hobbit" was fictionally written by Bilbo, and the entire Gollum sequence in that would have been a favorite with young Pippin and Merry, et al.  There's really no reason to think Bilbo wouldn't have hammed up that entire thing and put as much life and detail into it as possible.

As for Grishnakh's reaction, well... it wouldn't be the first time our fantasy heroes got incredibly lucky.  You gotta suspend that disbelief, bro.
General Discussions / Re: Completion List 2017
« Last post by Lard on Yesterday at 08:37:31 PM »
Persona 5. 118 hours.
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 06:17:01 PM »
But Bilbo sometimes outright lied or withheld the truth in his "tall tales."  And even when he told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth at the Council of Elrond, Merry and Pippin were not present.  And in both The Hobbit and Fellowship, Bilbo was extremely secretive about the ring throughout his life, so I'd venture he remained secretive about the ring.  I also wouldn't put it past the ring's influence to feed that. 

And then we come to the whole thing about how in the world did Pippin know to use that specific Gollum tease on Grishnakh?  It felt too calculated to be a simple hail Mary/shot in the dark, especially given Grishnakh's reaction that he seemed aware of Gollum and precious. 

I don't know... that whole interaction just doesn't sit right with me.  Everything around it feels too coincidental.  How would Pippin innately have that innate, very specific understanding of how to say "gollum, gollum, precious" and act as Gollum would?  Would Bilbo's tall tales and books written mention all those details, especially given how secretive he was about the ring and how he admitted that the book wasn't the truth?  And Merry and Pippin strike the others as kinda flighty and not people you'd make privy to the most pertinent information.   Maybe (and that's a BIG maybe) I'll buy that maybe Merry and Pippin badgered Samwise to tell them everything he heard at the council of Elrond, but I'm sure there are details he may not have picked up on, since whenever multiple people are exposed to something we all naturally attune to different details. 

Anyway, I'm still in the middle of the Treebeard chapter and it's a good one. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10