Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7830 on: January 23, 2018, 03:37:54 PM »
Wild Arms 2  - Defeated Grauswein. Went to the volcano, and got the dragon Gundam ship. Cleared one of the Ray points (the fire one), but decided to go exploring and hit up all the green blips on the map/radar. Stumbled upon Crimson Castle and got the eccentric vampire girl in the party. I have yet to see her value in battle, but she did help me find the black market when I went to go change her name again. I then bought 99 big berries, and promptly kicked Tim out of the battle party.
I'm too stupid to figure out the deal with the werewolf's Den...
Currently checking out (what I assume are) other optional places.

EDIT: Came to find out that Vampire girl learns enemy skills. Neat.

Marivel is the main reason why you want to hold off on grinding Tim's GFs too much since it takes some time to track down the enemies she can learn her abilities from (and since you're fighting random mooks anyways, you can take out two birds with one stone; three if you want to get randy and have Kanon come along to try to proc her own abilities). Incidentally, beyond Lilika and the endless supply of Big Berries, Marivel is the other reason why Tim has such a hard time standing out since she's a better Mage as well as requiring less of a grind (if you're using a guide since a lot of her shit is hidden) to get going. Although really, the game really wasn't designed to have three goddamn magic users running around in it, so they all kinda come off as samey in the end.

As for the Werewolf's Den, it requires using Earthquake in a specific location to open up. Ashley gets a neat, if not a particularly useful toy for his Knight Blazer for your efforts.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7831 on: January 24, 2018, 01:35:10 PM »
Wild Arms 2  - Defeated Grauswein. Went to the volcano, and got the dragon Gundam ship. Cleared one of the Ray points (the fire one), but decided to go exploring and hit up all the green blips on the map/radar. Stumbled upon Crimson Castle and got the eccentric vampire girl in the party. I have yet to see her value in battle, but she did help me find the black market when I went to go change her name again. I then bought 99 big berries, and promptly kicked Tim out of the battle party.
I'm too stupid to figure out the deal with the werewolf's Den...
Currently checking out (what I assume are) other optional places.

EDIT: Came to find out that Vampire girl learns enemy skills. Neat.

Marivel is the main reason why you want to hold off on grinding Tim's GFs too much since it takes some time to track down the enemies she can learn her abilities from (and since you're fighting random mooks anyways, you can take out two birds with one stone; three if you want to get randy and have Kanon come along to try to proc her own abilities). Incidentally, beyond Lilika and the endless supply of Big Berries, Marivel is the other reason why Tim has such a hard time standing out since she's a better Mage as well as requiring less of a grind (if you're using a guide since a lot of her shit is hidden) to get going. Although really, the game really wasn't designed to have three goddamn magic users running around in it, so they all kinda come off as samey in the end.

As for the Werewolf's Den, it requires using Earthquake in a specific location to open up. Ashley gets a neat, if not a particularly useful toy for his Knight Blazer for your efforts.

Tim's usefulness in battle is over for now, no doubt. However, his Pooka tool/friend has been repeatedly useful for getting some out-of-reach chests the game doesn't expect you to use it/him for. Anyway, I'm wondering if I want to take the time to go around and try to collect Marivel's skills (only gained 3 at this point), or if I should just say "fuck it", keep Ashley; Brad; and Lilika in the main battle party, and gun for the end.
Side quests are cool and everything, but I'm kind of starting to feel burnt out on the game at this point. Kind of just want it to be over. Not exactly sure why. It's a (mostly) solid 90s JRPG, but it feels like it's over-staying its welcome a bit. In Marivel's particular case, it doesn't help that her skill learning ability seems to "miss" more than half of the time, making it feel more tedious than it should (IMO).
Been trying to not use a guide... Only if I get stuck. Thanks for the W'sD tip, my good man.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7832 on: January 24, 2018, 04:07:44 PM »
Started up Titan Souls while I waited for a few games to finish downloading.

It's bullcrap. Easily the most unnecessarily frustrating game I've played, with no real rewards for your efforts. At least Shadow of the Colossus had a driving narrative, and means to ensure you always knew where you were going. Oh, and it had a health bar.

Here, it's just one-note, with lots of difficult challenges strewn around for you to find, many of which are hidden, and you're rewarded with...nothing. You're not even rewarded with "more boss fights," since you can fight every boss in any order, save for a few milestone ones. At least I got it via PS+, instead of paying money for it...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:17:12 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7833 on: January 27, 2018, 02:03:59 AM »
Okay I don't think this went through the last time I tried to post it >:T

Stuff I've been playing lately, in no particular order:
Terraria
Getting Over It
SimCity 4 (Mostly this, lately! More going overboard with trees than proper city planning though! Also trying to load balance garbage.)
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Final Fantasy IV (Which I'm absolutely adoring this time around!)
The Megami Tensei 1 remake from Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei

Also sort of coming to grips with how Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe works.

Also ordered an N64 a few days ago! And got a refund because the seller sold it on Offer Up and forgot to take the ebay listing down :      )
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7834 on: January 27, 2018, 04:32:06 PM »
Wild Arms 2  - Took care of the remaining 3 ray points. Admittedly, I used a guide to figure out how to get to Raypoint Muse, cuz I totally forgot about the bridge opener switch from earlier in the game. I used the same guide to get through Trapezohedron, cuz I hated that place real quick. Multiple teleporter dungeons are the worst.
I just beat the first boss in the Spiral Tower. I wanted to see the game through during this last play session, but some of the recent puzzles were annoying. Needed a break.

EDIT: DONE! I had to retry the unexpected gauntlet of last bosses a few times, cuz Tim sucks on his own, and I had forgotten to use any of Marivel's personal skill points (so she was a bit weaker than the others). Finally got it done, though. Honestly, I can't imagine doing it without a surplus of big berries. Glad to be finished.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:50:56 PM by Frostillicus »
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #7835 on: January 28, 2018, 09:31:22 PM »
Playing Pokemon Crystal. Cyndaquil 4 lyfe!

(too many y's)

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7836 on: January 31, 2018, 02:57:14 AM »
Currently have a rotation of Battlerite, Atlas Reactor, Paragon, and Warframe.

Battlerite - I was hoping a top-down Hero action game would be a lot of quick popcorn fun, but I just can't handle fast-paced games on the PC. I don't see this working on a console, either, though. I might try some more with support characters, but overall, this has been my least-played of the bunch.

Atlas Reactor - Another multiplayer Hero Deathmatch game, but this time it's turn-based. This is more my speed, especially the mode where you control all 4 heroes, instead of you and three other people on your team controlling each. In fact, I dare say that it's the main reason I keep coming back to this. It's like multiplayer XCOM with all hero units, and timed turns. It can get really intense! And without the bullshit that usually comes with having to deal with a team of strangers.

Paragon - Trying to play at least one match with every hero before the game shuts down for good. So far I've played as Gadget and Feng Mao, and won both matches. I'm really gonna miss this game...

Warframe - I was told this was like Destiny, but better - mostly because it has an interesting story mode despite being a free game. It's certainly hit all the right notes, at least. I probably shouldn't have focused so much on silent weapons, though. While a lot of the levels seem to be built with stealth in mind, it has the MGSV issue of once that one guy I didn't see triggers the alarm, I have to fight off everyone & their mother anyways - so now I have silent, but either low-accuracy or low rate of fire weapons, while I'm trying to deal with waves upon waves of bad guys. I did have a pair of dual pistols, however! So I tried those out during a special event version of a mission that was already punching above my weight class!

...It turns out that having twice the pistols means twice the reload time, and in that particular mission, I had to use my pistols a lot. Between a sub-mission requiring I get 20 pistol kills, having to cart around some data thing, thus forcing me to use my sub-weapon, and massive hordes of enemies spawning from areas I haven't even been to yet...I was finding out just how crucial a few seconds can be. I'd unload 16 shots into one guy, and then I'd stare at the retical for what feel like ages as 20 more are barreling towards me. I mean, at least I still cleared all the objectives, but I still reached the limit of how many times I could be revived, and I had to book it towards the extraction point!

So now I have a new pistol, and I unlocked access to Mars. This game is turning out way more fun and involved than I originally anticipated, so I'll stick with it for a while. Still, I have DOOM 4 downloading (or rather, the massive 30 GB patch is downloading) right now, so that might take up more of my focus.

EDIT: Also, I spent the entire game not knowing how to use any abilities besides my Slash Dash. I just gotta use the face buttons + R1. I have a feeling things are gonna get even more interesting...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:34:52 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7837 on: January 31, 2018, 03:45:20 PM »
One of my problems with indie game devs is stuff like this and Black Sigil where they really want to (re)make an early 90s era videogame but completely miss the point and end up with this bloated mess instead.

Just wanted to say that I never got into the indie-craze myself. There were some okay games, but even the best felt like reheating yesterdays dinner in the microwave. Or maybe they felt like a memorial instead of celebration. Obsessing over "beautiful" 8/16-bit sprites while shitting over polygons certainly did not help the case.

Anyway, been playing som dot hack GU on PS4. It's certainly a rather interesting experience for me. The whole meta-aspect and storytelling through network (like in Front Mission 3) is almost making me not notice the sub-average combat and rehashed random dungeons. But I suppose I'll just let it fool me. Really only bothered by the constant never-ending anger of Haseo. I also watched hack roots years ago, I'm not watching it again, but I suppose this will give some closure to that.

PandoraWizard

• View Profile
« Reply #7838 on: February 01, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »
One of my problems with indie game devs is stuff like this and Black Sigil where they really want to (re)make an early 90s era videogame but completely miss the point and end up with this bloated mess instead.

Studio Archcraft (developer of Black Sigil) vanished of the surface of the earth for a decade but they've announced a new production on KickStarter. They've changed their company name for 6EyesStudio.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/153039232/fell-seal-arbiters-mark-classic-turn-based-tactica?ref=8wtpvh

I think it looks really solid.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:28:15 PM by PandoraWizard »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7839 on: February 01, 2018, 11:41:24 PM »

Studio Archcraft (developer of Black Sigil) vanished of the surface of the earth for a decade but they've announced a new production on KickStarter. They've changed their company name for 6EyesStudio.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/153039232/fell-seal-arbiters-mark-classic-turn-based-tactica?ref=8wtpvh

BWAHAHA!!

Okay, cheapshot, but I think they still have a long way to go before they've convinced me that they've learned enough from the last decade or so to put out a decent game, at least after looking over that Kickstarter you linked.

Anywho, still playing Warframe. I upgraded to an Auto cross bow, and now I am slaying everything in site, at least on the normal missions. I still keep playing the special limited-time-oinly missions to get some cool stuff that I can't use until I'm much further into the game, because the game tells me that there's a new limited-time mission every 3 minutes, and I can't say no. It'll even have the prompts during one of those missions. Or any mission, for that matter. It's freakin' annoying, like I'm missing out on something...that's my only complaint about the game so far. Otherwise, it seems like a pretty fun Action MMO.

...Okay, I guess I do still have one other complaint: It's an MMO. While the game still allows me to play solo, there are a few mission types that are clearly meant for cooperative play, and most of these wind up being a slog to play through, even the low-level ones. Or they just aren't playable. Seriously, there's one mission that I honestly can't complete, because it requires that multiple points be protected at once, and I can only get to one at a time. I'm waiting until I've cleared every other mission available to me, but unless I get a super-special teleport ability that I can spam the heck out of, there's no chance that I could beat it without a group. And that's disheartening to me, because...fuck other players. If I invite others, I can't just go at my pace, if someone else wants to drag it out or end the mission early, I may not have a choice. Had to deal with that before I figured out how to switch off matchmaking. I'm still having fun, it's just...it's an MMO, and there will always be that knowledge, that there will be a few missions I could never beat on my own, no matter how hard I try. Just sours things a bit, and leaves me wondering if I'll eventually reach that point with the story missions? That would absolutely ruin it for me...

EDIT: Right after I post that, I played a really poorly-done stealth mission that I don't think I have a reasonable chance of beating. I'm done with this game, moving on!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:07:10 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7840 on: February 02, 2018, 12:32:06 AM »
Taking a break from FEW (almost have Celica, just a few more History Maps left to go and then I can start focusing down on unsealing Prfs) to start up Romancing SaGa 2 at long last. Currently chasing the first Hero (I suspect that this will go as well as Prince Henri's rescue in Dragon Quest V or FEIV's Battle of Belhalla).

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7841 on: February 02, 2018, 08:46:15 AM »

I admit, there's a lot good here.  But I'm concerned about how janky the animations come out in those gifs.  Have you tried that playable demo they have up on their Kickstarter page?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7842 on: February 03, 2018, 02:33:25 AM »
EDIT: Right after I post that, I played a really poorly-done stealth mission that I don't think I have a reasonable chance of beating. I'm done with this game, moving on!

Well, I did give it another go and got past it. It turns out that I only have to worry about alarms when I get close to the objectives, which should always have a locked door before them, anyways. So I didn't have to stealth through the whole thing like I tried to do last time...and failed. This time I just ran through as quick as possible, killing anyone in my path while turning off alarms whenever they went off. Then when I got close to the objectives, I found that there weren't a lot of gaurds around Points A and C, so getting those went smoothly, and that's all I really needed to complete the mission, technically. However, I managed to rush in and grab B before the "data purge" or whatever, so that mission is 100% complete and now I never have to bother with it again!

...Until there's an alert mission variant on Suisei with a really attractive reward...

Oh well, boss is up next, then it's Finally on to Mars and back on track with the story missions!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:38:18 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • I have nothing funny to say
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #7843 on: February 03, 2018, 12:37:55 PM »

I admit, there's a lot good here.  But I'm concerned about how janky the animations come out in those gifs.  Have you tried that playable demo they have up on their Kickstarter page?

@Arvis I just tried out the demo on itch.io, because I was curious.  I did like Black Sigil, though its random encounter rate was obnoxious and lacked some of the "quality of life" elements that make modern-retro games fun and playable these days.  And I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt in that I'm sure the development team learned from their missteps and didn't just chalk up criticisms as "our game is fine, you just suck at playing it!" 

Anyway, Fellseal was a fun little SRPG demo.  I liked that the dialogue boxes had large text.  I also liked the large detailed sprites (whose animations were a little stiff but not terrible) and smooth environments.  Gameplay felt intuitive in terms of battle gameplay, troop creation, and menu interfaces.  There seems to be plenty of customization options to satisfy tweakers, but nothing like the twiddly, fiddly, overblown, overwrought, and needless systems that have plagued NIS and !F SRPGs.  What I heard of the music was very solid fantasy fare.  My only real objection was that the "painting meets CG animation" portrait art during dialogue didn't match the more anime/comic book flair of the sprites.  I guess that's a matter of taste, but I would have preferred more of a comic book style art in the portraits. 

Because the demo itself was only a couple of battles, I couldn't really get a good sense of the main characters' personalities, except that the main heroine is idealistically righteous and her seeing the corruption festering in the world will browbeat her.  I can see this being a fairly story driven game, though. 

I liked what I played.  The game doesn't seem to try too hard like a lot of modern-retro games seem to and doesn't reinvent the wheel.  It seems to simply want to be a fun game.   
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 06:19:38 PM by Dincrest »
"If marriage were a woman's grave, as the proverb claimed, sixteen year-old Kaiya suspected the emperor was arranging her funeral." 
     -The beginning of Songs of Insurrection by J.C. Kang

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7844 on: February 04, 2018, 04:59:08 PM »
Romancing SaGa 2: Did the Thieves quest and once I get around to it, Martial Artists (and maybe this time, not be an ass and clear the entire dungeon). Kinda in a weird position where I haven't yet unlocked the Tutors, but Theresa is down to 1 LP and is sitting on a bunch of Sparked skills (4 for Bows and 2 for Lances).

Octopath Traveler Demo Version: Downloaded this on the side of RS2. Went through Dancer chick's plot and am cleaning house on random sidequests. Other guy's funner to play as though because its much easier to go walking the earth while beating the shit out of everyone you meet (sadly, I can't smack children upside the head with a fuckoff hunk of metal) for fun and profit.