Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2018, 12:43:53 AM »
Yeah I'm really curious what you thought.  I tend to have a few too many stars in my eyes when I play games I like, you kinda help see other parts of things I hadn't (and still seem to have a similar taste in games so yay) x)
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2018, 04:04:24 PM »
I found a decent way to farm Gold Chips as well as get legendary and rare core crystals at the same time.

The sidequest Titan Scholar (I think that is what it is called) is required to open up this area, which that quest appears in the earlier chapters.

There is a rare monster called Vampire Bride Marion which is found in the Dragon's Stomach in the Head of the Kingdom of Uraya. If you are able to do a full driver combo (Break-Topple-Launch-Smash) there is a chance of it dropping gold chips, legendary cores, and rare cores. The monster is level 65 and I was taking it on at slightly under that with very little trouble. I was getting 3-4 gold chips, 5+ rare cores, and 1-3 legendary cores per battle which only takes maybe 3-4 minutes if you can driver combo it over and over. Also, just staying at a Stage 2 Blade combo helps up the damage you due per driver combo. The normal enemies around it also drop Silver Chips which are better for ATK blades and increase Gold drops. This is a pretty dope place to grind in the lower to mid 60's.

I am down to my last two RNG rare blades. I was able to get:
Spoiler: show
KOS-MOS!!!
last night, which I was stoked on.

I've been just doing this while I grind out Merc Missions for one of my other rare blades.

There is just something special about this game. I can't stop playing it!!!

EDIT: GOT MY LAST TWO BLADES. Within like 10 minutes after posting this from the last 4 legendary cores I had on me. It feels great to be done with that part of the RNG.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:36:59 PM by Isjaki »

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »
I hope Scott never reads your post. :P

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2018, 02:22:03 AM »
So apparently the latest update went and borked the game something fierce. I'm hoping that everyone who got to play it before this dire update doesn't forget "DON'T FORGET ME!" and remembers "YOU'LL REMEMBER ME!" as they were reduced down to the truncated "DON'T FORGET!"

Also, they went and made Ursula's A-Rank Affinity unobtainable (even more so than it already was at least).

The fixes they did introduce only helps a few Rare Blades who's questlines stop during Chapter 7 due to missing party member issues (not that this actually helps Agate since hers can't be completed until Chapter 8's first region at the earliest anyways).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2018, 08:09:56 PM »
Also, they went and made Ursula's A-Rank Affinity unobtainable (even more so than it already was at least).

That was a slog. What did they end up doing to it?

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2018, 05:14:06 PM »

That was a slog. What did they end up doing to it?

I haven't been able to double check yet (as I don't have Ursula), but from the trip reports, it sounds like she and other Blades used for Merc Missions get auto-assigned or unassigned to their driver which increases the busy work needed to undertake a Merc Mission.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2018, 10:39:32 PM »
Yes. If you send a Blade on a Merc mission they are removed from the party and you have to manually place them back in when they return.

This is the most polished rushed game I have ever played.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2018, 07:47:46 PM »
Yes. If you send a Blade on a Merc mission they are removed from the party and you have to manually place them back in when they return.

This is the most polished rushed game I have ever played.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/01/26/xenoblade-chronicles-2s-1-3-0-patch-will-arrive-february-2018/

This is what I meant (nice that they used a picture of the Driver in question). Basically, if you have a Blade like Ursula on this particular Driver, you'll lose the ability to access them from the Blade menu when using a particular gimmick after that one boss fight in Chapter 7 (they're still there, you just can't select them for Merc Missions and such anymore). Hopefully 1.3.0 doesn't break anything else.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/02/monolith-soft-boss-talks-katsura-hashino-xenoblade-chronicles-2-development-struggles/

This explains so goddamn much.

I'm actually amazed that we got such a coherent and well put-together product on such a scale with such a small crew behind it.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/02/monolith-soft-boss-talks-katsura-hashino-xenoblade-chronicles-2-development-struggles/

I'm actually amazed that we got such a coherent and well put-together product on such a scale with such a small crew behind it.
40ish people for a game of this scale? I already found little issue with it but this is impressive. Hope it gives incentive to make 3 and x2 more love.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »

40ish people for a game of this scale? I already found little issue with it but this is impressive. Hope it gives incentive to make 3 and x2 more love.

I'm going to assume that you meant they should make X2, the sequel to X, one of the best RPGs made in the last 10 years.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2018, 02:35:24 PM »

I'm going to assume that you meant they should make X2, the sequel to X, one of the best RPGs made in the last 10 years.
You assume correctly, hombre.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2018, 01:09:35 AM »
So people are 'leaking' the latest update to the game and its going to be a doozy.

Tormura Blades are now available to the player to noone's surprise, more importantly is that they come with new weapons.

Pnumbra has a Level 4 Special now.

Story Blades are now able to run Merc Missions, even on regular NG.

New and improved Driver Affinity Charts.

Inns can now let you change levels freely.

You can also spend accumulated Bonus EXP on items that allow for more Accessory Slots (I personally can't imagine allowing Drivers more than 4 Slots total, maybe 3 if there's a way to increase Blade Core Chip slots).

Additional things the game allows even from a fresh NG file:

You can lock Generic Blades so that you can't accidentally release them.

You can skip Core Crystal Opening Sequences entirely rather than just the "Hi! I'm Generic Fire Shield Hammer Male Blade #4. Pleased to meet you." part.

You can customize icons for the In-game Map overlay.

An Easy Modo.

Stackable Aux Core/Accessory traits.

NG+ carryovers include: Levels, Equipment, Art Levels, All of your Blades, Consumables, Gold, Dev Levels, Merc Levels, Event Theater, and UM Tombstones.

Granted, until official confirmation, take all of the above with a grain of salt (well, okay, most some of the above, the devs were talking about quite a bit of this beforehand and some of it really needs to happen anyways; of course the fact that you can beat the game and all of its challenges without these things kinda makes the value of these changes questionable).

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2018, 12:52:04 AM »
I'm gonna pop back up out of nowhere, because I'm in need of the opinions of other people who have played this game. Having just started chapter 7, I find that it, along with the finale of 6, have taken some of the more irritating aspects of the story and cranks them up to a degree where I'm genuinely ready to break the card in fury.

When Jin downs Rex, he alludes that he should be somehow different from other drivers; that he's nothing but a childish fool. This sentiment, along with Rex's inexperience as a driver has been brought up time and time again throughout the game, but rarely in a fashion so stunningly one-sided. Wow, Rex isn't very good at being a driver? It's almost like he JUST STARTED and has spent nearly every second since becoming a driver either running from or chasing something. Of course he's childish and inexperienced -- he's FIFTEEN. Where does a 500+ year old get off mocking a FIFTEEN year old for being childish? Nevermind that your health bar was dropping like a cinder-block: for about the thirteenth time in the game an easily-winnable fight turns out to be utterly beyond our capabilities because the plot demanded it. In fact, almost everyone seems pretty okay with leaving the fate of their nations/world in the hands of a fifteen year old who is  clearly inexperienced. Even in the next chapter, when Rex is having his depressed moment, Morag and Zeke sit on their butt while the original trio hash it out. I guess that's why they join so late in the game -- if an actual adult had been present instead of two children and an egg with fur (I love Tora), half of this wouldn't have happened.

And what's all this about "becoming a driver worthy of Homura and Hikari?" nonsense? What, are you also going to live on half-truths and continuously put the party in danger by refusing to divulge relevant information from the past? Make sad faces, then clam up when somebody asks what's wrong? For how much she claims to care about Rex, she doesn't seem to trust him at all. Supposedly she gave herself up for him, but it's hard to take that as a sign of affection when practically their entire relationship is one-sided. Maybe Rex wouldn't be such a sub-par driver if the 500+ year old weapon-of-mass-destruction actually, I dunno, taught him anything.

Nia's not much better. I spent many chapters of the game wondering at Torna's size, capabilities, goals, etc. -- things that Nia should know and have shared ages ago. Add to that her alternative form, and it seems like everyone in the party seems content to judge Rex for his short-comings while keeping up their own deceptions. This whole mess reminds me of Vandham's death, when everyone seemed happy to let Rex blame himself for the situation that transpired. The fact that Homura was the one who went solo, that Nia didn't explain anything about Glasses-kun's abilities, or that either has told Rex jack-all about being a driver -- all that just gets swept under the rug so that we can ridicule a fifteen-year old boy for acting his age.

A lot of these are tropes common in JRPGs, but what's doing me in is the context. While it's understandable that Nia and Homura might not want to open up to Rex right away, neither have done much to either suggest or imply any reason why, after 52 hours of gameplay, they're still so secretive. These are supposed to be good people, not Jade Curtis. Heck, I LIKED Jade, and he kept tons of secrets from the party. The difference is that Jade was a cynical you-know-what, not a caring member of the party. Teenagers saving the world? No problem, except that in this instance it feels like there are hundreds of more qualified adults who take pleasure in railing against a fifteen-year old for not having the wisdom and battle experience of his 500+ year old contemporaries. As of right now, Rex is the only character (aside from Tora) that I actually like, because he's the only one that actually seems to be TRYING, while everyone else is busy keeping secrets and patting themselves on the back.

This game has been such a trip. I spent the first 20 hours in sheer frustration because, having never played a previous Xenoblade, I was expecting a hidden masterpiece. The numerous flaws kept baffling me, but after adjusting my expectations, I generally enjoy myself. The thing I'm most drawn to is how much it reminds me of games like Rogue Galaxy or Radiata Stories, from an age when JRPGs were more willing to experiment. Xenoblade 2's best feature is the fact that, at least to my knowledge, there's nothing quite like it. It's not really my thing (all the micromanagement, coupled with the low-level of actual execution, don't make me feel much of anything for combat), but I find it a nice change of pace, and for the most part I'm having a good time, until now, when I want to (no exaggeration), rip the game out of the Switch and crush it.

I want to hear some thoughts from people who have gotten this far, because maybe I'm missing something that makes it all make sense. It's happened before, and I'm certainly not above admitting I missed something -- the game isn't exactly small. Also I apologise if this comes off as hostile -- I'm frustrated and venting, so please don't take my tone to heart.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:54:13 AM by Grainofariver »
I like crackers... but only the good kind.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2018, 02:22:03 AM »
The short answer is that
Pyra/Homura/Hikari/Angela Ballzac has horrible PTSD from the Aegis War and is more interested in offing herself than anything else (the only reason why she doesn't straight up act on this is because if she goes, Rex goes with her),
and Nia's privyness to Tormura's general activities and goals really doesn't matter since they just boil down to "Jin is Xeno-Sephiroth and Malos really just wants to burn the world down" with the remainder of Team Rocket being both there and largely irrelevant. Hell, Rex is already keyed in to the most important fact about the villains
Malos and Space Pope are operating on the same motivation wavelength.

As for the part about Rex not being worthy of the Aegis/Grail is that
he hasn't unlocked her final form yet which actually is about as bullshit as the game makes it out to be.

Nia's thing is about to be explained (although said explanation lies at the bottom of the game's worst segment; if you haven't fought the Phantom Menace yet, then you might as well remove that card from your Switch because its going to get worse; the upside is once you get through Chapter 7 and the start of Chapter 8 you're basically at the point where the game opens up significantly (although I think they've since fixed this); its also worth pointing out that if there is one thing worth seeing out of Chapter 7,
its seeing Rex live up to his role as a JRPG protagonist in the most Dense Motherfucker way possible
).

To be far more specific on Chapter 7's issues
the two big ones are the fact that Rex loses his main Blade which, aside from being his most reliable source of damage output, puts a halt on any Blade Quests that were active up to that point because they all require Pyra's/Homura's presence to proceed (Agate's the only real exception to this simply due to the fact that you really do need to be in Chapter 8 to complete her's anyways), and that the first half of Chapter 7 takes place in a gimmick dungeon. Said gimmick involves kneecapping every Driver not named Tora by locking Blade Arts down to Level 1 (i.e. no Blade Combos beyond what Tora brings to the table). That said, you can mitigate this somewhat through Driver Combos (i.e. Break > Topple > Launch > Smash). On top of that, there are a couple of annoying fights and Field Skill Checks (most involve elemental coverage tetris, but there are a few that require Rare Blade skills like Keen Eye and Ancient Wisdom), and also the dungeon's boss who's gimmick is summoning multiple clones at a certain damage threshold, so you can't bypass the gimmick due to limited damage output and most of your best AoE attacks are locked behind the dungeon gimmick as well, thus limiting your ability to crowd control; Morag is one of your best allies for this fight, and for the entire dungeon really, because Brigid's level 1 Blade Art is AoE and she can dodgetank to boot).

But yeah. This game is Tales of Levels of Anime.