Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Warriors
« Last post by Smashking on Today at 07:11:28 PM »
My review is up for the game now, and I'm ready to accept the hate mail at any time :D
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Ys VIII
« Last post by Rook on Today at 06:20:55 PM »
If the translation was this bad why didn't they just delay both versions instead of releasing the PS4 version early. I'm just thinking right now of saying alright you know i'm not going to wait until next year to play it i'm just going to start playing it I mean the translation isn't bad to the point where it's unplayable there's just alot of errors.
The translation isn't terrible.

Technically the translation isn't wrong. That is a big hole.
Game Journals / Re: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« Last post by Raven on Today at 02:43:03 PM »
Thanks for the quick fix, I did not run into any further issues after re-downloading it. It was fun to hear FF9 being praised into the heavens :)
The Soundroom / Re: Favorite Albums of 2017
« Last post by TurnerBasedXP on Today at 02:20:52 PM »
Hanson: Finally It's Christmas. Hands down.
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Frostillicus on Today at 01:27:16 PM »
Haps: Feeling like a bit of a doofus. I'd been on the same internet package for years, and had ignored Comcast's attempts to upsell me over that time. Came to find out yesterday that the package I was on isn't even offered these days, and I could get speeds over twice as fast for the same monthly rate. I'd been over-paying for who knows how long. Upgrading was a no-brainer. Explains why they had been trying to call me so frequently over the summer.. Can't help but laugh at myself.
« Last post by Tomara on Today at 01:23:28 PM »
Do schools in the US still have classes like home economics? Personal finances would probably fit in best with that, I think.
« Last post by Rucks on Today at 01:07:03 PM »
How much time does it take to teach a normal student "don't spend more than you earn", and "don't borrow what you can't pay off?"  A couple days?  A week?  I don't understand how you can make up a whole course out of that.  Once you've covered the future value of money, aren't you basically done?

there are often systemic and cultural issues at play here that would necessitate a much longer training period for a lot people.  Someone who has never had any money (that wasn't already owed to someone else or needed for basic survival) is usually going to need a lot of help understanding finance.
« Last post by ironmage on Today at 01:03:18 PM »
Looks like Kevadu ninja'ed some of the points I wanted to make.  Anyway:
When I was taking theoretical math classes in high school, my question was always, "When the hell am I ever going to use this in life?"
Math was always my poorest subject.  I tended to get Cs and Ds in math despite working twice as hard as the other kids (I may have had an undiagnosed learning disability) whereas I could get As in Language Arts and World Language like it was nothing.
I would claim that mental exercise is useful in its own right, and if your math classes made you work hard, they served a purpose.  I find it odd that people think nothing of stepping on a treadmill or pumping iron, but somehow resent the mental equivalent.  I mean, bench-pressing a barbell or doing pushups are pretty useless skills in isolation, but I don't think anyone would claim that good health and physical strength are useless in the real world.

But I ate math classes like candy, and it's easy for someone who likes weight-lifting to preach the benefits of exercise.

Business/Consumer Math is considered a special-ed math course, yet it's something I think all students would benefit from. 

I'm not a big fan of the blanket "one size fits all" curricula.  To say that "ALL children will learn geometry" like many of these blanket initiatives proclaim is ludicrous.
I think those viewpoints are inconsistent.  You can't object to the "one size fits all" approach, and then say that everyone would benefit from a remedial class.  Some students may need special education in certain topics, but it does not follow that it should be provided to everyone.  I maintain that most students should learn enough mathematics to handle personal finances through basic coursework.  Balancing a chequebook (does anyone still need to do that?) should be manageable by anyone who passed fourth grade arithmetic.

But I'm inherently prejudiced against this sort of thing.  In my third year of electrical engineering, there was a mandatory "Economics for Engineers" class.  It was generally considered to be a joke.  When you're eating Z-transforms for breakfast and linear algebra for lunch, having someone from the College of Commerce spend a whole week explaining compound interest is just... embarrassing.  I'm sure someone thought it was going to be useful, but it mostly just wasted everyone's time.

On the other hand, the elective I took in contract law was pretty interesting (not to mention practically applicable).  Adding something like that to the highschool curriculum would be reasonable.  I mean, you're entering into a contract every time you buy a doughnut...
So having one yearlong business/consumer math class isn't going to hurt anything.  It will actually help. 
How much time does it take to teach a normal student "don't spend more than you earn", and "don't borrow what you can't pay off?"  A couple days?  A week?  I don't understand how you can make up a whole course out of that.  Once you've covered the future value of money, aren't you basically done?

If you made me take a whole class in "consumer math", instead of letting me take calculus, it would absolutely have put me at a disadvantage.

I'm not convinced that education will solve what is fundamentally a cultural problem.  Someone who can see their credit card balance rising month after month must know what that means.  If there's no stigma against personal debt, but people want to buy "the new shiny" to keep up with their peers, then of course they're going to ramp up their bills.
« Last post by Rucks on Today at 12:38:26 PM »
^geometric proofs are why I decided to go with liberal arts in college and grad school...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10