Author Topic: CD Projekt RED's Cyberpunk 2077

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
Re: CD Projekt RED's Cyberpunk 2077
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
I actually thought the song was awesome and fitting the 80's/90's cyberpunk theme. If nothing else, this game has the style down to a T.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 06:58:22 PM »
I actually thought the song was awesome and fitting the 80's/90's cyberpunk theme. If nothing else, this game has the style down to a T.

I've listened to the song more and more, and done some research on the song, and it it's growing on me. Yeah, it seems far more fitting than my initial impression at least.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 03:47:27 AM »
I like the lyrics... but meh the sound isn't my style. But yeah I know it's not indicative of the game soundtrack.

I have pretty high hopes for this one

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »

Perigryn

• Infrequent, but still here.
  • Contributing Editor
  • Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 06:04:45 AM »
These initial videos do have me psyched for the idea of this game. I do love the fact that there seems to be a huge level of passion beneath the title, and Deus Ex definitely led me to fall for this genre. Like, I wanna' go buy all the new Shadowrun materials and scrap my D&D campaign for this stuff! But... I cannot afford to just yet haha!

Still, the bodes to be awesome.

On this note:
To be fair though, we are rapidly closing in on 2020 and we're not even close enough to be considered to be dystopian cyberpunk ready yet. Much like how we wont have Cold Fusion ready to enable our time traveling DeLorieans to both fly and time travel without the need for plutonium/12.1 jiggawatts of lightning by 2015 at the rate we're going.

We also missed out on the Day of Lavos back in 1999 A.D.
Just Greg, thanks.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 06:20:49 PM »
Necro-ing because we finall got a trailer and some solid deets for once!

Character creation, story premise, fluid class system, first-person perspective, open world, and noir elements...this is sounding pretty great to me!

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 07:12:02 PM »
i was hyped for the game being being FPS is a deal breaker.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 07:51:44 PM »
i was hyped for the game being being FPS is a deal breaker.

...They didn't exactly say FPS, just first person. Might be be more like Fallout or Deus Ex in presentation? I dunno. I haven't seen CD Projekt Red do first person before, but at least it's not just a sci-fi Witcher.

EDIT: Nope, they did actually say it was an "FPS RPG," now I feel like an ass. They did say "it's an RPG First," I get that some people really don't like First Person shooting, period.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:42:52 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 04:04:01 PM »
Would a third person shooter really have been that different? I don't understand why being first person is a deal breaker. Generally I don't care for FPS games but this is primarily going to be an RPG like Deus Ex.

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 05:25:46 PM »
And first-person RPGs have been around for a long time and they're still around and popular. 

Wizardry series, the first Phantasy Star, early Megami Tensei games (pre Persona 2), Deus Ex, System Shock 2, most any dungeon crawler these days (especially the fanservicey moe ones), a whole bunch of them I'm forgetting... 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:29:51 PM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »
Would a third person shooter really have been that different? I don't understand why being first person is a deal breaker. Generally I don't care for FPS games but this is primarily going to be an RPG like Deus Ex.

I know some people just don't like the way it can feel controls-wise, and a lot don't like how it restricts your field of view, to name a few complaints I've heard. Not to mention as an RPG, it means that you don't get to see the character you customized, either via a character creator or the stuff you've equipped them along your journey. I know Skyrim can be much more immersive in First-Person view, but I tended to play it in 3rd person simply because I was proud of the armor and whatnot that I got.

I think I even heard of people getting motion sick from it? Or was it some kind of visual technique, like Motion Blur or whatever? I can't remember now...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:10:52 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 09:34:03 PM »
I lost interest in this game the moment it was mentioned that it announced as a first person game.  I dislike FP games on principle.  Sure, I'll give them a shot, but for the most part, I prefer gaming in the third person.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2018, 03:55:42 AM »
I also dislike first person games, though I guess not to the same extent as some of the people here as I'm still willing to give them a shot.  But it's never my preferred viewpoint.  No matter how much you try to tell me that first person is more immersive than third person because it's more realistic or something, I find it to be such a janky approximation of reality that it's actually less immersive.  In reality I have things like peripheral vision and a general idea of what kind of position my body is in without necessarily having to look at it.  The typical first person camera view feels simultaneously claustrophobic and detached.  You feel like a floating camera with a gun, not a person.

Is having a camera view from behind realistic?  Of course not.  But it's a useful crutch to make up for the technical limitations of a first person camera.  It helps fill in a lot of the detail that you would be aware of in reality but would be missing in a first person camera.  The way it does it may not be realistic but I find the end result to be a lot more satisfying.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2018, 10:08:40 AM »
If I can manage to play Metroid Prime, then I can handle FPS games.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2018, 02:48:10 PM »
I remember enjoying old-school 1990s first-person action-adventure games like Heretic and Hexen.  I can only imagine that technology has gotten better and those types of games are much smoother.  I still remember playing Maken X on Dreamcast; that first-person slasher game's frame rate was smoother than a glass of the good stuff. 

While I'm sure CD Projekt RED will put forth a quality product, I still retain that skeptic's hope that it doesn't become a "tries to appeal to everyone, but appeals to no one" compromise where RPG fans say it's too shooter-y and shooter fans balk at the RPG elements ("I don't care about the story, just let me blast things into oblivion!")

On the other hand, I know many RPG players who are also fans of really intense space shooters, so...  I don't know where I'm going with this.  I'm just rambling.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey