Author Topic: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »
Actually...I don't think Lufia ever came to the Wii VC. It was supposed to come at one point, but never showed up before the Wii U came out. So still we wait...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2014, 12:07:33 PM »
Gotta admiy, the music in the ds remake is awesome.

And it's an enjoyable action RPG with fun puzzles. Which doesn't really help if you're looking for something turn-based, but if you're totally in love with Ys or something right now, it's a great choice.

Also, the people who worked on it seem to be fans of Back to the Future and thee's just no way I can give them a thumb down for that.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2014, 06:13:34 PM »
I'm looking for a JRPG that's got quite a bit of exploration, and is fairly quick to get into (less than 2 hours). Bonus points if it has a decent, but not overly-melodramatic story. That's not Dragon Quest, I'm not really in the mood for that right now...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:15:45 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
XenoBlade Chronicles if you haven't already played it.

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2014, 09:44:41 PM »
Time for me to post here! I am looking for a tactical RPG in the style of tactics ogre, FFtactics, shining force etc but I am looking for it on PC. Most of what I find is things like Kings Bounty, but it doesn't have the same feel to me. Anyone have suggestions?
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2014, 02:39:42 AM »
Time for me to post here! I am looking for a tactical RPG in the style of tactics ogre, FFtactics, shining force etc but I am looking for it on PC. Most of what I find is things like Kings Bounty, but it doesn't have the same feel to me. Anyone have suggestions?

Valkyria Chronicles is now on Steam. Admittedly, that's less SRPG than most SRPGs (there's no grids for one) but its still a good game for the most part (and quite anime; though nowhere near the level of its successors). It's probably the closest followed by of Heroes of Might and Magic or Fallout Tactics.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »
I got a doozy here. 

First some background: So the girlfriend comes home last night and informs me that her therapist told her to start playing video games (I know right?).  It has something to do with gaming not being a passive activity (like watching TV or, to a lesser extent, reading a book), because you are actively participating in a task and getting the sort of mental rewards/boost that come from actually doing something (as opposed to just watching/reading something).  This is something that I've explained to her almost verbatim before ("RPGs are like books you get to play!") but apparently when I say it, it comes across as nonsense, yet when someone we're paying 118 dollars per 90 minutes brings it up suddenly it becomes gospel. But I digress.

Anyway, she asked me to recommend a few "beginner type" RPGs to get her started, and I'm thinking about just giving her my PSP since my vita has made the thing obsolete anyhow.  So now I need some help with which games I should tell her to start up first.  Keep in mind that she's never really played anything other than pacman on an arcade cabinet, and stupid party games on a Wii, so we're dealing with a total noob here.

Here's my list of PSN games I already have that will work on the PSP. I appreciate any help you're willing to give!

Alundra
Castlevania: SotN
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Front Mission 3
Grandia
Parasite Eve
SaGa Frontier
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
Xenogears

Breath of Fire IV
Crisis Core
Final Fantasy IV: Complete
Half Minute Hero
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Tactics Ogre
Ys I & II: Chroncicles
Ys Seven
Ys: Oath in Felghana

Chrono Trigger

I was originally LEANING towards something like Chrono Trigger or FFVI to start off with because those are 2 of the first 3 rpgs I ever played.  But I also thought that maybe something more light hearted like grandia/lunar/threads of fate might do the trick.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »
Try to get your hands on the PSP remake of the first Star Ocean. The exploration is extremely straight-forward, and the combat system boils down to "hack away at the enemy until it dies" and is very forgiving.

EDIT: Also, I try to tell this to everyone introducing someone to video games: Don't over-explain things, and don't offer advice when none was asked for. If they get frustrated at a part, encourage them MAYBE offer a tip or two, but don't offer to get them through the part unless they ask.

Basically, just let them keep experimenting themselves to get a better feel for the game.

EDIT 2: And don't force your personal tastes on her. Introduce her to genres besides RPG's and let her decide what she likes to play.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:47:33 AM by Klutz64 »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2014, 11:50:47 AM »
Grandia and Chrono Trigger get my vote. Grandia may seem complicated at first, so you'd have to walk her through it, but it does a lot of little things that I think somebody looking for an interactive story experience might enjoy, especially if they're expecting something lighthearted. Lots of dialogue, straightforward exploration, no random battles (IIRC?), and a battle system is complicated, but takes a while before you really have to know what you're doing, so you have plenty of time to learn the ropes. Suikoden might also be something to try, though the amount of missable characters might be a bit hard on someone new to the genre? But then again, maybe she won't worry about it if she's not already into the completionist mindset...

EDIT: Klutz has a point, too. Try introducing her to Point 'n' Click Adventure games like The Wolf Among Us, Sam & Max, and Ace Attourney. At the very least, I'd say give her more than just RPGs to try out. Puzzle games are also a fantastic choice for those who have yet to hone their reflexes. There's also simple platformers like Super Mario 64 to consider as well, though those won't have much story to them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:54:42 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2014, 12:00:21 PM »
I guess I should clarify, she specifically asked me to choose a good rpg.  love the responses so far!

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
Other suggestions: That version of Lunar is supposed to be pretty simple, but I also think I heard the writing was dry? You might know more on that subject than I would. Also: Breath of Fire is usually fairly simple from my experience, though I don't think I ever played any of BoF4...

I'm tempted to recommend Ys, but was that version better at explaining what to do than earlier versions? Because the earlier versions could be extremely vague.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »
Speaking from a point of view where people who are newer to video games come fromyou have to bear in mind that we like our old rpgs because of the fond memories. I am fairly sure most people with no previous experiences in the FF department wouldn't appreciate VI, arguably the best in series, as much as XIII or even X. I feel that coming into video games later in life tends to degrade one's sense of appreciation for the "less is more" love of older games, but that's probably pretty common to us all. With that being said, I'd gently toss her into the deep end of the newer stuff like XIII (which I hate) or maybe even a newer Tales game, like Xillia or Graces F on ps3. The better looking characters and voice acting usually can help acclimate newer players into the realm of the rpg, where the imagination will begin to pick up and let them fill in the story in their head as they go.

If everything I said above is useless because she is in fact a gamer already, fuggit, throw her face first into VI because VI is the bestest. But I'd look for a gba version if I were you as it is the best version...even if Kefka doesn't have his Beavis moment.

TASTY!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2014, 05:12:56 AM »
My sis would never consider herself a gamer, but some of the RPGs she liked are Breath of Fire, Atelier Iris, Lufia II and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. So, based on that I would say: something 2D (that still looks nice enough) with straight forward game mechanics. Lunar sounds good.

Or, uh, how about Puzzle Quest? I played that game so much it kinda caused the death of my first PSP. (Whoops.) My sister played it too, but on PC. If you've got a decent iOS/Android device: Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is great fun. It's also available for DS, PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Agent D is right though. Newer games do have that wow factor that appeals to many new gamers. If it doesn't have to be a RPG, there are plenty of shorter titles in the PS3 Store that make lovely introductions to the medium. Journey, Rain, Thomas Was Alone, Costume Quest... Yeah, I know half of them don't look that impressive, but if someone hasn't really played anything since Pac-man these games look really nice.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:22:31 AM by Tomara »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2014, 05:29:24 AM »
My sis would never consider herself a gamer, but some of the RPGs she liked are Breath of Fire, Atelier Iris, Lufia II and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. So, based on that I would say: something 2D (that still looks nice enough) with straight forward game mechanics. Lunar sounds good.

Perhaps along the lines of something like this.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/12/dragon-quest-v-hand-heavenly-bride-brings-feisty-debora-ios-android/
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM »
That reminds me, I never did finish marrying Debora. I should load up that save some time.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes