Author Topic: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2014, 05:02:48 PM »
Any horror fans in the house? I have a few questions since I'm gonna try to play a bunch of Halloween-themed games this coming month:

• Is Yume Nikki more flat out scary? Or is it more creepy/weird/disturbing? I'd actually prefer the latter...
  • Anybody know of any good point 'n' click games with dark atmosphere and themes? I know of a few, like Uninvited, 7th Guest, and Alone in the Dark (the old, old one), but I don't know if they've aged well...
  • And has Master Reboot gotten any better? I remember it getting some iffy reviews...

Re: Yume Nikki, definitely the latter. Although, even then it leans more towards surreal/trippy more than anything else.
Re: Good Point 'n' Click, I'm pretty sure 7th Guest has aged horribly and Uninvited is probably okay due to Sudden Adventure Game Death Syndrome, no idea on AitD.
Re: Master Reboot? Never heard of it.

Honestly, I wouldn't have known about Master Reboot without a review from site I used to go to. Sadly, I left that site because I don't agree with any of their reviews nor their news practices, so I was hoping someone else had an opinion on it...

But thanks for the other two. Trippy actually sounds neat. I'll look a little more into alone in the dark. It's had so many versions I'm not sure where to start, but hopefully at least one of them are good...

EDIT:
Also, someone gave me more info on Book of Memories and iot doesn't sound that appealing, so I'll just take it off my list...

Aaand I looked into Alone in the Dark and even the most recent version looks and sounds like a dinosaur...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:18:03 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 10:51:52 PM »
At work, we recently acquired a copy of Ninety-Nine Nights.

I remember being vaguely interested in the game way back when I was seeking out RPGs for the 360. Does anyone have any experience with it? What was it like, was it any good?

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2014, 12:58:34 AM »
At work, we recently acquired a copy of Ninety-Nine Nights.

I remember being vaguely interested in the game way back when I was seeking out RPGs for the 360. Does anyone have any experience with it? What was it like, was it any good?

No and no.

The general consensus was that it was a Dynasty Warriors clone that failed to find its own niche like Drakengard did. It doesn't help that the game was a 360 launch (or early release) title and not the killer app that Microsoft was hoping for. It has a sequel but still, just get a Dynasty Warriors or related game. I hear there's one that just came out for Wii U owners (there's a couple for the 360 as well since its a bloody Musou game and those have been showing up on every console under the sun).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2014, 02:46:25 AM »
99 Nights and its sequel are terrible. I love hack & slash but I could not play either for very long. I just remember the controls being kinda awkward and the games failing at everything that DMC, Bayonetta and even God of War did way better... I didn't play a lot of DW, so 99N reminded me more of those.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:48:56 AM by kyuusei »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »
The first one was boring, but I kinda liked the sequel as "Dynasty Warriors with a slightly deeper combat system and more agressive enemies". That was before I played Ken's Rage, though.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2014, 12:26:37 PM »
Just got my grubby mitts on a copy of conker: live and reloaded.  does anyone know if it's as good as bad fur day?  I was obsessed with that game in high school.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »
Okay, so I'm sure I'm going to get recommendations for a ton of old PC RPGs, but if there's any console games that actually fit this criteria I would really like to hear about it.

-I love party/character-building RPGs
-Usually this means there's a ton of classes to choose from. I prefer RPGs with more complex classes than just the simple warrior-rogue-mage thing, and hybrid/unique classes are a huge plus
-RPGs these days seem to be really settled into a 3 or 4-person party, games that make you build a party larger than this would be great
-Lots of customization would be a huge plus, so either skill trees or limiting your skill choices out of a huge pool, that sort of thing

FTR I don't need to know about Final Fantasy, Bravely Default, Dragon Quest or Etrian Odyssey. I've played and enjoyed all of those.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »
Okay, so I'm sure I'm going to get recommendations for a ton of old PC RPGs, but if there's any console games that actually fit this criteria I would really like to hear about it.

-I love party/character-building RPGs
-Usually this means there's a ton of classes to choose from. I prefer RPGs with more complex classes than just the simple warrior-rogue-mage thing, and hybrid/unique classes are a huge plus
-RPGs these days seem to be really settled into a 3 or 4-person party, games that make you build a party larger than this would be great
-Lots of customization would be a huge plus, so either skill trees or limiting your skill choices out of a huge pool, that sort of thing

FTR I don't need to know about Final Fantasy, Bravely Default, Dragon Quest or Etrian Odyssey. I've played and enjoyed all of those.
Tactics Ogre, Wild Arms XF, both psp games.

TASTY!

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2014, 06:39:44 AM »
Thanks, I'll check those out. Tactics Ogre in particular I remember playing like 2 stages on the Playstation a long ass time ago, and I actually haven't played Wild Arms since the first one.

Related to my former question, I've been looking at the Wizardry series. Anybody have recommendations? Kind of a shame all the recent ones are only in Japan, they sound like games I would really enjoy.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »
Resuscitating this thread to ask if I should play Skies of Arcadia Chronicles (GCN) or Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2) after I finally finish off Lunar 2?  I've owned both for years, but haven't gotten further than a half hour into either.

I tend to like games with a more serious tone and I don't have time to learn a hokey or overly complicated battle system.  The more straight forward, the better.

edit: bah...LEGENDS... skies of arcadia legends
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:51:33 PM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2014, 04:45:16 PM »
Resuscitating this thread to ask if I should play Skies of Arcadia Chronicles (GCN) or Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2) after I finally finish off Lunar 2?  I've owned both for years, but haven't gotten further than a half hour into either.

I tend to like games with a more serious tone and I don't have time to learn a hokey or overly complicated battle system.  The more straight forward, the better.

BoFV is a more unique game part of RPGs in general and the BoF series itself.  It's pretty dark and strange, and will make you work for your ending.

The safer bet is Skies.  It's fantastic from start to finish, but with a pretty high encounter rate and some kinda sludgey graphics by now.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2014, 03:29:06 AM »

BoFV is a more unique game part of RPGs in general and the BoF series itself.  It's pretty dark and strange, and will make you work for your ending.

The safer bet is Skies.  It's fantastic from start to finish, but with a pretty high encounter rate and some kinda sludgey graphics by now.
Dice speaks true, Skies is an overall much more approachable game. I am a massive breath of fire fan myself, but I could never really enjoy DQ all that much. I got to a village once and pretty much gave up. Skies...man, I maxed out Vyse's stats entirely, I played it so hard. Nothing like 3 shotting the final boss...good times.

TASTY!

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2014, 05:47:50 AM »
I'm looking for an Android game that will keep me entertained during long trips. In other words I'm not looking for the type of game that I'll be playing during a short bus ride or on the toilet but rather a proper lengthy game to keep me occupied for several hours a pop.
Any genre goes though obviously RPGs are preferred, though bare in mind that I'm not a fan of touch controls on platformers, unless they're done exceptionally well.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2014, 06:21:37 AM »
Max: Free or paid?

If you're happy to throw a few dollars around, I'd recommend:

- Kingdom Rush & Kingdom Rush Frontiers: Fun tower defence titles with loads to do (optional extra missions, difficulties) and require a bit of brain power. Awesome production values, also.

- Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery: An unusual adventure game that is combat-lite and thought-provoking. Not for everyone, but I loved it.

- Joe Dever's Lone Wolf: More expensive, and it does get frustrating at times, but a fun gamebook/RPG that I've definitely enjoyed. Plenty to do and well-written.

- Aything made by Kairosoft. Game Dev Story is the cheaptest and one of the best. Fun and addictive strategy/simulation games.

- Rebuild: A post-apocalyptic zombie strategy game where you build up the fortifications of survivors and try to escape/defeat zombies/other optional endings. Strategy.

I've also heard good things about, but have not played Chaos Rings. Also, FF IV, V and VI are on there if you can get past the graphics.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 07:43:14 AM »
Max: Free or paid?

If you're happy to throw a few dollars around, I'd recommend:

- Kingdom Rush & Kingdom Rush Frontiers: Fun tower defence titles with loads to do (optional extra missions, difficulties) and require a bit of brain power. Awesome production values, also.

- Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery: An unusual adventure game that is combat-lite and thought-provoking. Not for everyone, but I loved it.

- Joe Dever's Lone Wolf: More expensive, and it does get frustrating at times, but a fun gamebook/RPG that I've definitely enjoyed. Plenty to do and well-written.

- Aything made by Kairosoft. Game Dev Story is the cheaptest and one of the best. Fun and addictive strategy/simulation games.

- Rebuild: A post-apocalyptic zombie strategy game where you build up the fortifications of survivors and try to escape/defeat zombies/other optional endings. Strategy.

I've also heard good things about, but have not played Chaos Rings. Also, FF IV, V and VI are on there if you can get past the graphics.

Both free and commercial are fine, if the price is too hight I'll simply skip it but at the very least know what to look out for when it's on sale.
Funny thing is, I may have bough Rebuild last night as part of the humble mobile bundle, so I'll have to check it out.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:44:46 AM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you