Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Song of the Moment: The Original RPGFan Post Count +1 Megathread
« Reply #2280 on: June 16, 2017, 09:23:45 PM »
It's no secret that I love metal, but one thing I don't love is "metal elitist" fans.  Especially the hypocritical ones who talk smack on bands like Korn but you know full well that they all bought Korn's debut album and loved the hell out of it.  Sure I love me some Amon Amarth or Suffocation but I still listen the first Korn album all the freaking time.  Blind's slow buildup into the "ARE YOU READY?!?!?!" never fails to crescendo me into a whipping frenzy.  That album was a game-changer and remains one of the most important albums in the history of metal. 

So because of that, my song of the moment is "Predictable" from that album.  It's fast becoming my new favorite song from it, because I love how at around 1:45 the song starts going in a bunch of several interesting directions.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfKHAIc84Tw
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:27:40 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: June 22, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »
Boom Boom Satellites - Lock Me Out.  This got stuck in my head today.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2282 on: June 24, 2017, 04:57:39 PM »
Through the grapevine, I just caught wind of this Australian metal band called As Paradise Falls who are releasing an album next month called Digital Ritual via Eclipse Records.  On their website, I listened to the songs "Digital Ritual," "Starblind" and "Dead Message."  I loved them all.  Complex riffing balanced with dynamic songwriting, polyrhythmic breakdowns, tightly arranged songs that don't meander/wear out their welcome, a vocalist that does a variety of screams and cleans... yep, this is in my wheelhouse.  The band's earlier material is on the site as well, and though I love its raw, unrestrained chaos, I prefer the tighter arrangements and musical maturity of the newer stuff. 

I just listened to both "Starblind" and "Dead Message" twice in a row (so they're my songs of the moment.)  I just might have to pick up this album. 

Check it out: https://www.asparadisefalls.com/ (scroll down and you can listen.) 
     -Peppermint Patty

Losfer

• The Pope
  • This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Blackened Death Records
« Reply #2283 on: June 24, 2017, 05:22:59 PM »
Iced Earth's entire Dark Saga album.
BlackenedDeath.com

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: June 26, 2017, 11:57:41 AM »
Emperor - Ensorcelled By Khaos

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2285 on: July 12, 2017, 07:54:09 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=45fvwFunaKE

Song of the moment is "Gift of Death" by iwrestledabearonce.  Now, IWABO is not a band I was ever really into because they were a very "flavor of the month" type band several years back, and I always thought they were kind of a joke band.  But apparently this song is some of their newest material from 2015 and I like it.  It's that really schizophrenic type of metalcore I like that goes in several directions.  I dig the darkly visceral lyrics too.  Added bonus is that the singer (badass young lady) wasn't hypersexualized in this video. might have to listen to more of this new-ish album and maybe buy it, support this newly matured and more serious IWABO.

Amazing how some of these "flavor of the month" bands that peaked several years ago but now aren't really trending in the public eye anymore are releasing surprisingly good material lately (on smaller indie/self-produced labels.).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:09:05 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: July 13, 2017, 10:10:51 AM »
^ I haven't heard anything off of their latest, but I really dig the track "Firebees" from their 2013 release. I agree that their older stuff seems kind of ...gimmicky, but the video for "something something Dog something Voices" (paraphrasing here) is at least kind of interesting.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2287 on: July 13, 2017, 10:53:46 AM »
That Firebees song is pretty cool. 

From what I learned, their most recent 2015 album was where their new singer really took a big role in the songwriting and brought influences from her old band.  This is why it sounds different from the IWABO fans used to know, and probably why a lot of those older fans are crying foul.  To me, bands should creatively grow and experiment or they stagnate.  I love that every Rush album is so different; the band never "made the same album twice."  On the other hand, though I like Amon Amarth, I feel like if you've heard one Amon Amarth album, you've heard them all. 
     -Peppermint Patty

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: July 13, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »
I really want to like Rush's entire catalog, as I do respect them for changing it up often, but I just can't get into anything before Permanent Waves, or after Signals. Still, keeping the same sound throughout your career (looking at you Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin), is worse than eventually changing it to something that may not be as accessible as your other stuff. Leave the same loaf of bread out long enough, it's going to get stale.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2289 on: July 13, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »
Rush's early catalog makes me cringe sometimes when Geddy starts shrieking, but I love the way his voice mellows out on Roll the Bones.  Grace Under Pressure and Roll the Bones are my favorite Rush albums. 
     -Peppermint Patty

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: July 14, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »
On this note, I was just thinking... one band that I really wish hadn't changed their sound so much is Fall Out Boy. Some will probably scoff, but their earlier, rock/hard rock oriented stuff (Cork Tree/Infinity on High era) is quality music, in my opinion. Good stuff to move the noggin to, and the lyrics are witty. What they're doing now is god awful. They should just call themselves what they are: Stump's Pop Powerhouse.
So, Thriller is my song of the moment. Completely unnecessary Jay-Z intro be damned.

EDIT: I have one more song of the moment. Selkies: The Endless Obsession by Between the Buried and Me. I've seen BtBaM's name so many times over the years, but never got around to checking them out until very recently. Sure glad I did, because their stuff is progressive metal excellence. Granted, I haven't listened to the newer stuff yet, but Alaska and Colors are bad ass albums.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:55:16 AM by Frostillicus »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: July 14, 2017, 12:42:37 PM »
On this note, I was just thinking... one band that I really wish hadn't changed their sound so much is Fall Out Boy. Some will probably scoff, but their earlier, rock/hard rock oriented stuff (Cork Tree/Infinity on High era) is quality music, in my opinion. Good stuff to move the noggin to, and the lyrics are witty. What they're doing now is god awful. They should just call themselves what they are: Stump's Pop Powerhouse.

I bought "Take This to Your Grave" and "An Evening Out With your Girlfriend" when I was in Chicago c. 2003.  Loved them both. Then I saw them a bit later in some basement. Bar none the worst live show I've ever seen. Patrick Stump is so in love with his own idiot voice that I'm surprised he didn't spend their whole set trying to make out with himself.  45 minutes of what amounted to bro jokes and what amounted to self fellatio. So it would seem that the seeds for their eventual "boy band meets disco-pop-punk" heel turn were already planted back then.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: July 14, 2017, 01:17:21 PM »
^ Hilarious and believable. It comes through a bit in the way he sings, but oh well, some of it is still good stuff. Such a damn shame when bands suck live...
On the flip side, it's certainly a nice surprise when you expect a band to be bad, and the opposite happens. One band that really surprised me in that way was Everclear. I expected them to be awful, but they seriously blew me away every time that I saw them open for someone back in the day.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: July 14, 2017, 01:25:51 PM »
^ so much for the afterglow is a great pop tune

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2294 on: July 14, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »
For me, Kreator is one of those bands whose albums are stellar (truly one of the greatest thrash bands), but they're kinda boring live.  Not much stage presence, though they play their songs expertly and people mosh. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:30:48 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty