Author Topic: Valkyria: Azure Revolution

Rook

• View Profile
Re: Valkyria: Azure Revolution
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2017, 11:53:27 PM »
Media Vision is a good RPG developer. I just get the feeling that they thought they were going to make just another VC game (you know like VC3). It wouldn't shock me if Sega stopped whatever game MV was making in pre-mid production and proclaimed that they now wanted an action RPG, with dinosaur tanks! and Gothlolis! The whole thing just looks rushed and that they wanted to get it out as fast and as quietly as possible to avoid any long term damage.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2017, 12:21:42 AM »
Media Vision is a good RPG developer. I just get the feeling that they thought they were going to make just another VC game (you know like VC3). It wouldn't shock me if Sega stopped whatever game MV was making in pre-mid production and proclaimed that they now wanted an action RPG, with dinosaur tanks! and Gothlolis! The whole thing just looks rushed and that they wanted to get it out as fast and as quietly as possible to avoid any long term damage.

Knowing that Media Vision was involved explains so much about those tanks. *cough*Nuclear Dragons*cough*

Actually, I suspect that MV just wanted to make Valkyria ARMs (nah, too conspicuous, let's go with Wild Chronicles), but the fanbase wanted a second good Valkyria Chronicles game instead, and even after that revision they did midway through, I feel that they never quite got to the point where they could've replicated the VC formula (such as it is).

And you know, I kinda feel like we dodged a bullet by never getting a follow-up to Skies of Arcadia. If Sega simply cannot do a VC follow-up competently, imagine what they would've done with a SoA follow-up (no more Airship battles for you matey, as everything gets increasingly generic JRPG setting).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2017, 01:34:44 AM »
Media Vision is a good RPG developer.

Are they?  I guess I have to give them some points because they're listed as the dev on VC3.  On the other hand VC3 has so much carried over from VC2 (engine, assets, etc.) which was an internal Sega project so I don't know how much of that was really Media Vision's work...

But the last Media Vision game I played was Shining Resonance which was also a turd sandwich.  Perhaps not as bad as this game, but it certainly wasn't good.

Rook

• View Profile
Re: Valkyria: Azure Revolutioni
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2017, 05:24:41 AM »
Media Vision is a good RPG developer.

Are they?  I guess I have to give them some points because they're listed as the dev on VC3.  On the other hand VC3 has so much carried over from VC2 (engine, assets, etc.) which was an internal Sega project so I don't know how much of that was really Media Vision's work...

But the last Media Vision game I played was Shining Resonance which was also a turd sandwich.  Perhaps not as bad as this game, but it certainly wasn't good.

They've made a couple stinkers (Shining games) and I can't say I've played their (arguably) best game VC3. However yea they are a solid game developer. Digimon: CS was excellent, so was Wild Arms 3.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2017, 03:31:35 AM »
I'm just going to play this game like a bunch of games I feel like the time it would take to arrive at a consensus would be the time it would take to finish it anyway.

I liked Valkyria Chronicles, I like everything Media.Vision has done, I don't need much more to recommend itself really. If it sucks, fine.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:36:03 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2017, 06:29:49 AM »
Well it is your money to waste.

Edit: Just to be clear, the game has been out long enough for a consensus to be formed. The consensus is that it is bad. While there are certainly some people that at least claim to like it, they are in the minority.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:08:37 AM by Ranadiel »

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2017, 08:33:59 AM »

And you know, I kinda feel like we dodged a bullet by never getting a follow-up to Skies of Arcadia. If Sega simply cannot do a VC follow-up competently, imagine what they would've done with a SoA follow-up (no more Airship battles for you matey, as everything gets increasingly generic JRPG setting).

In 2018 Sega announces the FPS you always wanted: Skies of Arcadia II: No More Sky

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2017, 10:58:59 AM »
Well it is your money to waste.

Edit: Just to be clear, the game has been out long enough for a consensus to be formed. The consensus is that it is bad. While there are certainly some people that at least claim to like it, they are in the minority.

Yeah well some people were giving Ever Oasis a 5/10, does that stop me from wanting to play it? Not really.

I'm also starting to become very suspicious of "video game players" and "reviewers" in general... a very strong feeling they aren't actually playing these things.

Or like game conventions, these people dress up as these characters and I'm like.. you haven't actually played FFXV have you? lol..
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
a very strong feeling they aren't actually playing these things.

Exactly how black is the kettle, pot?

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2017, 06:28:35 PM »

Yeah well some people were giving Ever Oasis a 5/10, does that stop me from wanting to play it? Not really.

I'm also starting to become very suspicious of "video game players" and "reviewers" in general... a very strong feeling they aren't actually playing these things.

Or like game conventions, these people dress up as these characters and I'm like.. you haven't actually played FFXV have you? lol..
Did you not notice the two pages of me complaining about how bad this game is  as I was playing it? Do you really think I spent weeks making shit up because I have nothing better to do? O_o

Royal

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2017, 01:19:03 PM »
Did you not notice the two pages of me complaining about how bad this game is  as I was playing it?

Thank you for the warning. I considered to buy it, but I will avoid it. I have huge JRPG backlog anyway.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2017, 01:38:59 PM »
Hey arti has a bit of a point. Sometimes the rants and freakout reviews about how bad a game is are almost entirely based on a fucking demo or one area the reviewer has played. Worse yet, a lot of review sites like the shock reviews for traffic. Can't blame him/her for being skeptical...

Course, Ranadiel's opinion being less of a bullshit reviewer and more of a buddy should actually hold some merit for your judgment rather than just being some dude who's paid by the line written.

TASTY!