Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Fire Emblem: [s]Tree[/s] Three Houses
« Last post by Ranadiel on Today at 06:38:07 AM »
Awesome updates Aelous. I do agree that the fact this world has a name is a good sign for world building. I'm not sure how I feel about another avatar character but I hope he/she is more like Robin or Kris than Corrin. Meaning other characters, primarily the students get a share of the character development spotlight.
Shouldn't that be more like Robin than Kris or Corrin? The one thing that I have heard about New Mystery is that Kris overshadows Marth making Marth look completely ineffective.
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Yesterday at 11:02:40 PM »
In retrospect, I think that one was a VRChat machinama, actually, so that's a bit unfair. It was just the most recent one I encountered that looked so distractingly bad.

http://i.imgur.com/Hxt1YMx.gif

As for RWBY, I always figured when I finally saw this in context, it would be the highlight of the episode. I was wrong. Instead it was just the precursor to the greatest, most action-packed food fight I've seen in anime! I was in stitches! Now I'm definitely glad I started watching this!
« Last post by Arvis on Yesterday at 04:48:03 PM »
I've been listening to RWBY's soundtrack a lot (seriously, it's great stuff, especially the character themes), so I decided to give the series another shot. The first 8 episodes were still extremely rough, and I found myself having to skip around a lot just to make it through it - the animation, direction, and tone were just all over the place! I found myself laughing at it rather than with it more often than not.

However, it did start to shape up after the mid-point of the first season, and now that I've finished episode 16, I think I'm unironically enjoying it now. The characters do seem to have an interesting dynamic, the world is fleshed out enough that I actually feel like things are building towards a major event instead of just making things up by the seat of their pants (with that said, credit to the RvB team for making that style of writing look easy), and some of the jokes can be funny & clever. I really look forward to watching the next season tomorrow.

Animation's still dogshit, though, but understandably so. I spent the first couple of episodes racking my brain trying to figure out what program they're using, since I notice a few quirks that looked familiar. Turns out, if I just finished an episode I'd get the answer in big bold letters, but hey. I've definitely seen other indie animations that were made in Poser to varying degrees of quality, and it reminded me of the scale of their operation. There are much bigger animation teams that have utterly failed to do what they set out to accomplish, even at their relatively short average run times. I mean, just look at some of the CGI anime shorts from the past few seasons if you want examples of how bad it could be.

Move over Miyazaki!

This is fine enough. As long as the writing holds up, I'll have a good time.

PSA: don't click the link.  It's not even interesting-bad.  It's just bad.  And sad.  And will make you sad.

Also, RWBY is awesome, even in the early episodes.  I couldn't keep up with it after Monty died, though.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Hathen on Yesterday at 04:14:01 AM »
I'm surprised at the level of restraint on this banner. Yeah the weapons are powercreeped as hell, but no alts and 4 skills on 3 of the units? I guess it might just be them wising up to people automatically guessing the demote every time (even though there's still a pretty likely candidate this time around).

Keaton's kinda unique with his Meisterfang, but even with all the other goodies built into his weapon he's not going to be another Reinhardt pretty much due to mobility alone (+1 move from transforming >>> wo tooth). He also doesn't have a 2-range weapon and hits on DEF. IMO Tibarn's still going to be way worse to deal with, a 3-move flier with guaranteed all-breaker provided he's the first to reach your team, which he probably will be. It's too bad Valor marks him for unlikely demote, because Special Spiral on a demote would've been so damn sweet.

Even though Velouria's pretty likely as a demote (on top of the aforementioned Close Def 3 being powercrept, it's also available from Grails via Joshua. Wards are just sorta niche in general aside from armors), her unique weapon guarantees her as someone worth investing in. Funny for them to instantly powercreep the onsen weapons like 2 weeks after they came out, but whatever. Aside from the obvious instant Moonbow shenanigans (she's also infantry so she can get Pulsed), first thing I'm thinking? Galeforce teams. The fact that her weapon also has SPD+3 leads me to think she'll have at moderate SPD. Sure it's a waste of the Wo Dao effect on her fang, but with her support partner you can walk into a match with two Heavy Blade Galeforces ready to charge without taking any counters, which can be very valuable for people who put nothing but mages and whatnot. Downside to that is that she's infantry, so you have to support her with a cavalry, teleport her in with WoM, or Smite her in.

Kaden himself will be a worse Green Tibarn with his follow-up prevention and likely-to-be high SPD. Trades in the guaranteed follow-up and flying over shit for moving 3 spaces all the time and very annoying support capabilities. I'm pretty sure some people will opt to actually keep him around on a horse emblem team untransformed all the time just to give out the extra +6 to everything on everyone (because only whales are going to be running beast emblem so far).

Selkie is of course the obvious whalebait, and Christ not only is that weapon really OP, but it's also going to be a PitA to calculate shit when facing her. For SPD it makes it slightly easier for her to double, but makes it so you need to beat her speed by 10 before you can double her. Since she looks like she's going to be a RES unit Reinhardt probably isn't going to the save the day, and most physical hitters are probably going to trigger +8 DEF on her by default if she has rock bottom DEF so she might be able to tank a Brave Sword or Lance even. Really depends on how her stat line shakes out but that's a pretty insane weapon. Sabotage Attack is okay I guess.
« Last post by Greganox on February 17, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
Awesome updates Aelous. I do agree that the fact this world has a name is a good sign for world building. I'm not sure how I feel about another avatar character but I hope he/she is more like Robin or Kris than Corrin. Meaning other characters, primarily the students get a share of the character development spotlight.
« Last post by Annubis on February 17, 2019, 12:37:22 AM »
Ok, so it's been enough episodes that I can say Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue is good.
First half of the first episode is meh until you get to the second half that makes the whole thing way more interesting.
The format makes it fun.

Meanwhile, 6 episodes in Egao no Daika and I still have no what that thing is supposed to be.
« Last post by Aeolus on February 16, 2019, 01:52:51 PM »
Meanwhile, I have everybody on that list, including a +1 Wyndis, plus a spare, and 3 Dumas (two with fairly optimal IVs), so a Fyrrh would be my best pick due to her suboptimal IVs (+Spd/-Def). Lazura also has suboptimal IVs but nobody cares about her stats.

And yeah, Winter Tharja's one of the 3 Tome armors currently available in the game, and the only Ranged Red Armor to boot, so she would've been a better pick for optimal whale bait, but who cares about that when a 180 BST Dragon Armor Trainee is on the line. Also disappointed that Fall Mia didn't do as well as she could've as she's still the only flying Staffbot to shit over PVE with (but at least she was up against the only Colorless Dragon Armor currently available and he's got AR bullshit behind him). I'm also amused that more people wasted their votes on Pancho Tiki than those who wasted their votes for everyone who fell into the last 94 places combined.

Meanwhile, in Tap Battle, I was amused by Chrom going down like a chump and getting replaced by Marth.

And with this, so ends FEH's 2nd year anniversary special in the only way that it could. Being full of dumb shit.

Feb Edit: So while getting a new character banner in February was a surprise, the units on said banner are not. Time for Beast Rush pt 2, the ones you've been waiting for Edition. All of the Fateswakening Beasts save Yarne will be in (Panne is looking to the the GHeB for this month). Keaton is basically Reinhardt 2018 except without the horse weakness or sword classification and better skills plus baked in Wo Dao some of the time. Velouria gets Pair Up Pulse (-2 to cooldown on turn 1 to her and support partner) and Ward Beast plus that Wo Dao business. Kaden gets Reverse Siglinde's Refine effect where buffs on him are passed around and also the ability to inflict Atk/Def -4 and negates follow-ups instead of the ability to move 3 spaces only some of the time (he and Selkie are classified as Mounted Beasts, which is likely how they're going to separate Cat Laguz from Lions, Tigers and Wolves) and also Goad Beasts for good measure. Selkie likewise gains the ability to fucking wreck any Melee weapon user provided that her Res is better than her opponent's (if her Res is greater, she gains half the difference between her stats and her opponent's stats up to +8, jfc), and she also gains an ability to also inflict -7 Atk ala a massively gimped version of Aversa's Tome just for good measure.

If there's a demote coming out of that, it'll be Velouria. Selkie's right out and both Dads have more desirable skills (Close Def has fallen off significantly since Stances/Breaths and Forth Tier skills have come out).
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on February 16, 2019, 01:04:15 AM »
I've been listening to RWBY's soundtrack a lot (seriously, it's great stuff, especially the character themes), so I decided to give the series another shot. The first 8 episodes were still extremely rough, and I found myself having to skip around a lot just to make it through it - the animation, direction, and tone were just all over the place! I found myself laughing at it rather than with it more often than not.

However, it did start to shape up after the mid-point of the first season, and now that I've finished episode 16, I think I'm unironically enjoying it now. The characters do seem to have an interesting dynamic, the world is fleshed out enough that I actually feel like things are building towards a major event instead of just making things up by the seat of their pants (with that said, credit to the RvB team for making that style of writing look easy), and some of the jokes can be funny & clever. I really look forward to watching the next season tomorrow.

Animation's still dogshit, though, but understandably so. I spent the first couple of episodes racking my brain trying to figure out what program they're using, since I notice a few quirks that looked familiar. Turns out, if I just finished an episode I'd get the answer in big bold letters, but hey. I've definitely seen other indie animations that were made in Poser to varying degrees of quality, and it reminded me of the scale of their operation. There are much bigger animation teams that have utterly failed to do what they set out to accomplish, even at their relatively short average run times. I mean, just look at some of the CGI anime shorts from the past few seasons if you want examples of how bad it could be.

Move over Miyazaki!

This is fine enough. As long as the writing holds up, I'll have a good time.
« Last post by Hathen on February 15, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
I mean, I don't have Legendary Lyn yet so I won't mind if I pull her for free, but holy shit that's hilarious that people just picked whatever showed up on the default screen. Halloween Myrrh is honestly kind of a terrible choice, Winter Tharja gives basically the same SI as her except better (especially with the 4-skill SI change coming), but at least Myrrh is a stupidly broken unit herself. Basically the only miss I can pull on the free one is LAzura because I already have her, which pretty much guarantees that who I'll get.

Also New Power free pulls gave me nothing, but I finished off the Anniversary Daily Banner with a bang by pulling a free Close Counter- or he would be that if he didn't come as +SPD -RES. Now I feel obligated to keep him around.
« Last post by Aeolus on February 15, 2019, 12:57:39 AM »
So SF has posted their own summary of the trailer. https://serenesforest.net/2019/02/13/three-houses-february-2019-direct-analysis/#more-49377

And they make some interesting observations. Including a few I missed like the stuff exclusive to the JP direct, a few comparisons to what was shown back in 2018, and a few 'blink and you miss them' screenshots. But there's one important plot point they missed out on.

Note the following:

As they mentioned, this looks a lot like part of that Prf chainwhip sword Valentine. What they didn't mention is that this is most likely one of those blameable 'crests'. Specifically,

this one right about here^. Two down, right above the one that's damaged, smack dab in the center of that chart.

This means that we're looking at a Jugdral situation where every house of note is running around with their own fantasy WWII tanks while everyone else is playing cowboys and indians (although maybe not all of the Crests got fashioned into weapons since there'd be 21 of the fuckers otherwise). So yeah, I could see that the Crests really are to blame in this case.

One more thing I should mention is that while the above Crest is likely part of a weapon, I don't necessarily believe it to be part of that chainwhip sword, but of another fantasy nuke instead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10