Author Topic: Final Fantasy 16 (survey)

PandoraWizard

• View Profile
Final Fantasy 16 (survey)
« on: February 01, 2018, 06:12:26 PM »
It's only a matter of time until the next entry in the series is announced. My survey is, how would you like the next game to me?

MMORPG? (FF11, FF14)
Tranditional/Celtic/Fantasy? (FF1, FF3, FF4, FF9)
Based on reality? (FF8, FF15)
Purely Story-driven? (FF7, FF10, Etc)
Magnum Opus (FF6)
Job System Driven (FF5, FFX-2)
Futuristic or Steampunk (FF7, FF8, FF13, FF15)
Openworld (FF12, FF11, FF14, FF15)
Etc.

Oh, and which music composer should handle the next entry?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:47:23 AM by PandoraWizard »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 16 (survey)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
You don't even mention FF6, your entire post is invalid.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 12:04:18 AM »

Or Job Fiestas like FFs V and X-2 (although Bravely Default does have it covered somewhat).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 01:30:17 AM »
But will it be released before 2025?

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 08:47:31 AM »
He also didn't list XV under the Open World category.

Personally, I vote for Job Class based system for FFXVI.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 10:50:42 AM »
BRING THE PITCHFORKS, I SMELL A LYNCHING!

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 02:22:11 PM »
I vote no FFXVI any time soon. After the clusterf--- that was FNC (culminating in the biggest clusterf--- of the entire project, FFXV) I'm sure they are rethinking the future of the series. Not so much as in questioning whether there will be more FF's, moreso where the series should even go from here to get back on its feet.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »
I vote no FFXVI any time soon. After the clusterf--- that was FNC (culminating in the biggest clusterf--- of the entire project, FFXV) I'm sure they are rethinking the future of the series. Not so much as in questioning whether there will be more FF's, moreso where the series should even go from here to get back on its feet.

I reckon that we're through the worst of what led Squeenix to Fabulous No Crystal Pepsi. That said, there really isn't much to identify FF as a brand other than the name and Chocobos: Y/N?

Hell, I vote that FFXVI be the adventures of the Four Brand Mascots of Light (Moogle, Chocobo, Cid and Garland), and just be done with it.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 08:37:25 PM »
It's only a matter of time until the next entry in the series is announced. My survey is, how would you like the next game to me?

MMORPG? (FF11, FF14)
Tranditional/Celtic/Fantasy? (FF1, FF3, FF4, FF9)
Based on reality? (FF8, FF15)
Purely Story-driven? (FF7, FF10, Etc)
Openworld (FF12, FF11, FF14)
Etc.
In regards to the next game in the franchise being an MMO, my answer to that is an emphatic, enthusiastic, energetic FUCK NO!  What I would want in the next Final Fantasy is a return to the fantasy setting (although with relatively realistic character designs, no SD characters)  and return of the navigable world map.  I am more than happy to do without the open world mechanic.  I do want a story with both a strong plot as well as well developed characters.

Beyond that, I'm relatively flexible.  The two big things for me are that the series return to a fantasy setting and that it remain exclusively single player.  The biggest thing, though is that it must absolutely not have any micro transactions.  If the trade off is a higher purchase price, I'm willing to deal with that.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 09:49:47 PM »
My addition to this survey would be a question regarding who you'd want to compose the music for this new FF game.  I would love to see Tsuyoshi Sekito compose for a mainline FF game.  He's a criminally underrated and overlooked composer. 

EDIT: Considering the other points...

I'd like to see another single-player traditional (read: medieval type) fantasy installment with knights, castles, and flowing robes.  And like MonCapitan, I'd like to see realistically proportioned characters rather than chibis. 

I tend to prefer games that are more character/story driven (I'm not big into dungeon crawls) and don't have overly complicated or arbitrary-feeling gameplay elements (the License Board in FF12 felt totally tacked on.)

Speaking of characters, I'd prefer to see a character designer other than Tetsuya Nomura or Yoshitaka Amano.  No pretty boys with belt and zipper fetishes.  No characters who look like they're deathly ill from malnutrition, drug overdoses, or both.  Someone different to inject a fresh vibrancy into the art. 

I'd like to see a return of that happy medium between corridor linear and total open world- that traditional RPG type world with an overworld, towns, and dungeons. 

I'm a turn-based traditionalist and think that FFX had the absolute best battle system in the entire series and am surprised it wasn't used again. 

Another element I'm surprised hasn't really been used much was the ATEs from FF9.  Similar to Star Ocean's Private Actions, I loved how triggering those would show insight into what the others in the party were doing around town.  Because realistically, they would scatter and do stuff and not just follow the leader like sheep.  One of my favorite scenes in FF9 was when Zidane goes into an armor shop and comments "What a cheesy suit of armor.  Who would buy this crap?"  Then later on in an ATE, Steiner goes into that same shop and comments on what a fine suit of armor it is. 

My biggest problem with modern JRPGs is that the menu interfaces look stylish but are not ergonomically functional.  Menu navigation is more convoluted than need be and fonts are always minuscule.  Why is there never an option to increase the font sizes in menus and dialogue boxes?  Give me clean, simple menu layouts and large legible fonts. 

And to +1 MonCapitan again, no microtransactions.  I miss the good ol' days when I usually got the full game right out of the box. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 05:12:26 PM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

PandoraWizard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 11:36:54 AM »
I've updated my survey accordingly to your comments.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 04:52:36 PM »
I'm fine with Nomura being the character designer if it means he's not the director or writing dialogue.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 05:11:59 PM »
Still, all this is just fanciful thinking. 
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 11:04:51 AM »
Let's face it: Akihiko Yoshida should be the designer on the next several FFs.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 04:32:54 PM »
Yo, that would be sick-tight!
     -Hubert H. Humphrey