Author Topic: Things you can't bear in a JRPG

Greganox

• View Profile
Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2018, 11:11:34 PM »
My number one is definitely inconvenient saving. Sometimes you can go long stretches without a save point and its disappointing to experience a game over. I love the Dragon Quest series but it has this issue too barring lack of game overs. You often have to crawl through a lot of text before your save is actually finalized.

characters who leave your party. It can't be helped that some characters will have bad availability but I really don't like it when one character will disappear constantly. One big reason Dragon Quest 8 is one of my favourite rpgs is that aside from one portion of the game where a character leaves you get to concentrate on the four characters(referring to Ps2 version here) for most of the game.

Forced solo battles. These are really a mixed bag. Depends how good the character is as well as if you're using them or not. Just like my middle post I like being able to pick and choose my cast.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 09:37:50 AM »
characters who leave your party. It can't be helped that some characters will have bad availability but I really don't like it when one character will disappear constantly.

Forced solo battles. These are really a mixed bag. Depends how good the character is as well as if you're using them or not. Just like my middle post I like being able to pick and choose my cast.

Party-building is one of the most fun aspects to any RPG, so games that don't have it tend to rank lower in my book.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
^ I completely agree with you Arvis.

One more I'd like to add that could be applied to any type of rpgs not just ones from Japan is poor descriptions for skills and abilities. Sometimes you get a better understanding searching online which lets you realize how practical or bad such an ability is. The mold breaker ability in the Pokemon series is a good example of this as the short description doesn't leave much to imagination yet it is incredibly useful.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2018, 05:04:29 PM »
random encounters when i'm lost in a dungeon.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2018, 05:13:06 PM »

Uuuuuuuugh.  Literally the only time I hate random encounters.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2018, 05:38:02 PM »

Uuuuuuuugh.  Literally the only time I hate random encounters.

Pack it in folks. We've found the one guy who can somehow tolerate random encounters while trying to solve dungeon puzzles or platform through them. :V
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
My only caveat with party members leaving is when they come back much later at the same level as when they left.  It's like, what, were you just loafing on your couch eating doughnuts during the entire time you were gone?  Why weren't you out doing stuff and maybe building some levels?  Next time you leave, come back with your levels close to mine, okay?  Or have a system like Suikoden where if you take a level 20 lowbie with a bunch of level 39 characters, the lowbie will reach level 41 around the same time as the others. 

In Tales of Symphonia, it helped that everyone's levels stayed pretty consistent regardless of participation, because I didn't use Sheena very often but she was a required party member for several boss battles. 
"Yes, there's lots of things to do if you're not so busy huffing and puffing."
     -Leonard the Wolf (Sesame Street)

"People are really really good at making themselves unhappy in their pursuit of happiness." -Arvis

Der Jermeister

• Taking a Breath of the Wild
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2018, 06:07:02 PM »
I think RPGs in general that have playable casts surpassing the number of allowable characters in combat should have some sort of incentive for using characters that would normally be neglected, like in the Shining Force GBA remake where characters reveal backstory about the game's world or themselves when you level them up. However, it can be hard in the series as a whole to level weaker characters if they do only 1 damage against enemies or die easily, which is why I also think grinding should be fun and easy, and proportional experience systems like Suikoden are in some respects preferable.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:10:32 PM by Der Jermeister »