Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 01:33:21 PM »
tennisdrawchallenge.com

The US Open draw will be out Thursday or Friday and we do both Men's and Women's.
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Rucks on Today at 01:08:22 PM »
@Arvis What is that tennis site you run? I want to see if my wild guesses do any better than people who really get into the US Open.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 11:26:24 AM »
The Shenmue OST really is amazing.  I say that as someone who has never played Shenmue.
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 10:52:28 AM »
I dare to blaspheme!

ShenMue was a gorgeous game with incredible music and some nifty ideas, but I felt like I spent the majority of that game just idling my time away.  And even then, nothing much really happened plotwise.  It felt like having an entire loaf of bread, but only 1 shmeer of peanut butter to use for all 12 slices.  ShenMue was an overhyped waste of time and money for me.  Great tech demo, sorry excuse for a game.  To me, it just felt like Yu Suzuki got too carried away with realism, and somehow forgot that everyday "real" life isnít always fun and can be a slog. 

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2000/11/15

Still, I'd say at least 90% of the pet peeves in this thread can be looked at on a case to case basis.  Although I dislike breakable weapons, there were games where I didn't mind and/or actually liked that mechanic.  In the random vs visible encounters debate, there are games that did visible encounters horribly wrong and I would have preferred random.  I'm not a fan of excessive grinding, but there have been games where I was okay with it.  And there are those annoyances that are specific to a particular game that would be a non-factor in others.  Conversely, there are cases like Legend of Dragoon that had a laundry list of flaws that would normally be dealbreakers for me, but I rather enjoyed that game. 

I think the only pet peeve I have that remains universal is "small text fonts with no menu option to make them bigger."  There is no getting around it, that is something that I dislike in all cases. 
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Grandia 1 and 2 are coming to the Switch
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 10:37:20 AM »
Grandia II Anniversary Edition seemed to be a decent enough port for PC: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Grandia_II_Anniversary_Edition/index.html

I'm still curious as to how they'll gussy up Grandia 1. 

And, yes, Phantasy Star with auto-mapping is a win.  Those of us old enough to have played the original back in the day are certainly aware of having used copious amounts of graph paper to map out dungeons. 
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Today at 10:04:26 AM »
I hope they do a better job of porting Grandia 2 to the Switch than the PS2 port job was.

Edit: But the real news of the day is the Sega Ages port of Phantasy Star 1. Automapping ftw.

Is this the PS2 remake or just a gussied up port of the original?

having bothered to actually read the link, I am disappoint.

I'm not. All I wanted was the original with more explanations and automapping. Which this has, plus other bonus features. If it ever gets localized, I'd get it in a heartbeat and marathon that sucker.

As for Grandia 1 & 2, I'll definitely get the Switch version at some point, whenever I get one of those. I have versions of both games, though, so I might wait for a sale.
« Last post by Rucks on Today at 09:42:06 AM »
I hope they do a better job of porting Grandia 2 to the Switch than the PS2 port job was.

Edit: But the real news of the day is the Sega Ages port of Phantasy Star 1. Automapping ftw.

Is this the PS2 remake or just a gussied up port of the original?

having bothered to actually read the link, I am disappoint.
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 09:22:36 AM »

« Last post by Rucks on Today at 09:05:34 AM »
nice!
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 07:26:46 AM »
But if a game is too realistic, it becomes dull and monotonous like ShenMue.

And speaking of Shenmue: https://gematsu.com/2018/08/shenmue-iii-launches-august-27-2019
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10