• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7860 on: February 12, 2018, 09:35:05 AM »
Tales of Xillia 2[/b]

Spoiler: show
Ludger is Elle's Dad, but not yet.

Not surprised at all by that, but it does justify the Silent Protag thing a bit.  I've really been enjoying this story.

I also played demos of .hack GU Last Recode and and Tales of Berseria.

I need to ask: Velvet is a pedo, right?  Because she definitely came off as a pedo in the demo, but I've heard no one mention that about her.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: February 12, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
Grand Kingdom is free for Vita and PS4 this month so downloaded it and played a few hours. Its decent and has got a pretty fun battle system (kind of like what Radiant Historia's battle system should have been). You can character create your own anime army if that is your thing. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in the game though as I've already been annaliated more than a few times. Not sure how long I'll play it as it looks to be a massive time sink. For now though, it'll do.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: February 12, 2018, 04:11:07 PM »
Grand Kingdom is free for Vita and PS4 this month so downloaded it and played a few hours. Its decent and has got a pretty fun battle system (kind of like what Radiant Historia's battle system should have been). You can character create your own anime army if that is your thing. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in the game though as I've already been annaliated more than a few times. Not sure how long I'll play it as it looks to be a massive time sink. For now though, it'll do.

Grand Kingdom's art style is so darn beautiful
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: February 12, 2018, 05:07:00 PM »

Grand Kingdom's art style is so darn beautiful

I do love me the quest clear poses

Also Velvet is not a pedo but I always recommend only playing one tales game/year, the same-y ness of all tales games can get old without a needed break.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:10:57 PM by Rook »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7864 on: February 12, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
@Rook

Thanks for the reminder. Gotta grab that one. Already bought it on Vita, but I'll take the TV ver. too, please.

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: February 12, 2018, 10:25:47 PM »
Banner saga 3 has gone from a Dec. 2018 release date to a summer 2018 release date. On one hand I desperately want this game, on the other hand I think it feels right playing a BS game in the dead of winter. 

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: February 13, 2018, 08:50:36 AM »
Mario Galaxy 2 I had initially been playing through this over about 7 years. One of the slowest progressions Ive ever made in a video game. Its just one of those that stayed on the back burner for a long time. Not sure why, its a great game.
Anyway, now that my son is getting old enough to play more complex games, he has shown great interest in this one. So, we started a new game, and have been playing through it together (taking turns). We just got to World 6, which is being depicted as the final world.  Cant be, right? (Dont actually tell me. I dont want to know.)

Shadow Warrior (2013 reboot) Crazy gory game. Crazy fun, too. Hacking limbs and bodies is the shiz-nizzy. The characters are interesting so far. They did a good job at making Lo Wang equal parts bad ass and cheesy.
This game lets me know that I need a better controller for my PC. The X360 one I use (made for PC, apparently) just feels a bit too lacking in quality (which is bullshit, cuz my OG X360 controller is solid).
Anyway, just started Chapter 3.

Suikoden 2 Just escaped the assault on the mercenary fort/HQ. Currently looking for a way to get into Muse. Glad Shiro is still in my battle party. That guys a beast (literally).
Man, L. Blight is one evil sumbitch. Ive read in various articles over the years that he is not very nice, and indeed, he is not.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7867 on: February 17, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »
So I got a Nintendo 64 recently and I have some thoughts on it.

In terms of games, though, been playing the Rush series, Pilotwings 64, Beetle Adventure Racing, Nushi Tsuri 64, and Body Harvest, and I've been enjoying all of them immensely. Aaat the same time most of them have really bad framerate issues when you run them on actual hardware that aren't there when you run them on not-actual-hardware (such as the VC) so it's a bit vexing. (Also I guess with Rush 2049 I could've just gotten the Dreamcast version but I like the music in the N64 one more).

Beyond that, playing some Fur Fighters and Toy Commander (and VOOT a little but I can't get past Dordray :B I need to learn how to reduce V. Armor apparently). Also discovered that I like the original SNES Star Fox after all.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: February 17, 2018, 02:27:49 PM »
Resonance of Fate is still weird

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: February 19, 2018, 03:18:53 PM »
I've played roughly 2 or 3 hours of Trails of Cold Steel and I am already absolutely in love.  Familiar, but fresh.  Intuitive, yet deep.  And the characters are bursting with potential!  Love the music, too, despite a bit too much bombast in the battle themes.  And although it looks dated, it's still somehow beautiful in that way that Trails always manages to be.

I can't wait to spend a further 200+ hours in this world.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7870 on: February 19, 2018, 10:56:08 PM »
Another day, another crash over at SoM camp. Currently taking Jerk's trial. On the plus side, this should be an easy Platinum since there's only two places you need to grind for the 'get every item' and 'get all weapons to Level 9, spells to Level 8' trophies.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7871 on: February 21, 2018, 05:03:40 AM »
Day 15 of Warframe. Finally working on Saturn. I've been putzing about trying different weapons and Warframes out. Everyone seems great so far...except Nyx. I really need more ability-enhancing mods before that one will be viable. On that note:

Rhino is a great tank when I'm dealing with high level enemies and/or Survival missions. He alsao just feels great to use with a Shotgun, and I've gone through a lot of them to find the right one, with the 4-barreled Hek currently wiping out everything I come across.

Excalibur is still my main Powerhouse. He's just too well-rounded, so I wind up defaulting back to him, along with my Attica (which is still mulching literally every boss so far, while being reasonably effective at dealing with groups now that I've upped its ammo count. It's reload time and travel time for the bolts are the only drawbacks so far)

Everyone else seems to die too quickly, though, and like with Nyx, I just don't have ability-enhancing mods to compensate with sheer damage. I don't know when or where I'm supposed to get those from. :/

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #7872 on: February 23, 2018, 05:03:48 PM »
Everyone else seems to die too quickly, though, and like with Nyx, I just don't have ability-enhancing mods to compensate with sheer damage. I don't know when or where I'm supposed to get those from. :/

Playing Warframe kinda means you have to hit the wiki all the time
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: Today at 12:41:57 PM »
PoSoM: And beaten. I still have the Plat to go but for the most part this 'remaster' does some really fucking stupid bullshit that does everything in its power to make the game unplayable. I've had roughly a dozen crashes altogether (at least one per day plus one or two more from when I didn't take the hint and still kept on playing). Other bugs included having to switch up the spells the Sprite was casting due to the game choking on the query and not running the spell's script without another spell stuffed into the query instead, everybody getting knocked out of bounds on a frequent basis, enemies with such a backlogged query of incoming damage that they just freeze there without doing anything (they still remain viable targets while like this but they don't go away until you leave the screen), enemy AI with a bad habit of chain casting all of their magic (the second tier of Wizard Eyes and their endless stream of Cure Waters say hi; bonus points for making Bosses even less threatening than they were before because you aren't dealing with a storm of particle effects on a regular basis with them), musical tracks that vanish off the face of the earth if you bring up the PS Menu for any reason, and the list goes ever on....

That being said, I cannot fully condemn this version on the grounds that if this gets a stability update down the road, this might not be a bad alternative to the other versions, but only because MP gets restored from Leveling Up (play your cards right and have no need to spend hours spamming Wall in the Sprite's Village), and the fact that you can get back into Pure Land proper after reaching the Mana Tree (the one honest-to-god point-of-no-return from the original is no more so as long as you fight and defeat every enemy in the game, then you too could beat the game at a reasonable level and still walk away with a shiny Plat). All the other 'improvements' are superficial at best (also, its kinda stupid to be resting at Neko's Inn and hearing about Elinee for the umpteenth time when I came to load up on Barrels and top off my MP because I just cleaned out Neko's wares at the Mana Palace and no longer have any use for money).

And yes, the Lich's boss fight music now sounds as overly busy-as-fuck like most every other remade track in the game. Meridian Dance fortunately didn't get butchered (but that's more likely due to the fact that they reused the fuck out of that track for SD3 and so the devs have that one ingrained in their minds).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.