Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles 4 - PS4, Xbox, Switch

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Valkyria Chronicles 4 - PS4, Xbox, Switch
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 09:24:02 PM »
I know I am late to the hype, but MAN am I pumped. Also, thank god it is coming to Xbox One. SEGA really came through for me on this one.
Actually, you should be thanking the Suits at SEGA who made the decision to port the game to the XBox One.  Deities had nothing to do with that very surprising decision.  Clearly they didn't have the Japanese market in mind when they made the decision to release this game on that console considering the XBox One was an utter failure in Japan.

I still find it surprising that they are putting it out on the XBox One, though.  Seriously, I can't imagine gamers purchasing the console so they can play the latest and greatest Japanese developed RPG's.  I see the Playstation 4 and Nintendo Switch being the primary homes for such games.  Still, I do hope it does well on the console because if it doesn't then other game publishers from Japan will take  its performance commercially into account when deciding whether or not to port to the XBox One.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 08:42:37 AM »
^ Perhaps the relative success of Japanese titles on PC (which I am very thankful for) has swayed their minds... Still, it is rather surprising.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »
"Access is good business."

It just doesn't make sense to lock some gamers out from playing your game.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 07:15:15 PM »
It depends on the expense involved in porting the game.  If the cost is low enough, then it's probably worth it, especially if the game is a digital only release.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 12:00:15 PM »
Well unlike last gen the PS4 and Xbone are practically the same from a system architecture perspective.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 01:58:25 PM »
Outside of indie stuff, all game development should begin with a view to making it available to as many people as possible.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Cosmicdancer87

• Host of The Cosmic Game Club
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 11:23:42 AM »
I know I am late to the hype, but MAN am I pumped. Also, thank god it is coming to Xbox One. SEGA really came through for me on this one.
Actually, you should be thanking the Suits at SEGA who made the decision to port the game to the XBox One.  Deities had nothing to do with that very surprising decision.  Clearly they didn't have the Japanese market in mind when they made the decision to release this game on that console considering the XBox One was an utter failure in Japan.

I still find it surprising that they are putting it out on the XBox One, though.  Seriously, I can't imagine gamers purchasing the console so they can play the latest and greatest Japanese developed RPG's.  I see the Playstation 4 and Nintendo Switch being the primary homes for such games.  Still, I do hope it does well on the console because if it doesn't then other game publishers from Japan will take  its performance commercially into account when deciding whether or not to port to the XBox One.

Yeah, I am interested to see on my friends list how many people will actually be playing VC4 on Xbox when its released. The install base in the states is big enough to send ports to I think at this point. But that was really only the case for the last 2 years. I see why they wouldn't mess with ports on Xbox around 2013-2016. There just wasn't enough out there and the fan base isn't that interested overall in JRPGs. Weirdos like me though will snatch up JRPGs like hotcakes when they get released on that platform.
Allen C. - Host of The Cosmic Game Club
TheCosmicGameClub@gmail.com
Twitter: @CosmicGameClub
https://mixer.com/Cosmicdancer87