Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by MeshGearFox on Today at 10:13:24 PM »
... Why does the font get larger every time I come back here...

Neo Metal Fantasy - (Spoilered for space)

Spoiler: show
I was a little hesitant about this one since it didn't seem particularly well received in Japan, but Duomazov gave it pretty glowing praise and they didn't steer me wrong about Tenshi no Uta or Anearth. Anyway, the introductory bits are pretty standard -- you start off playing as a girl waking up on her 16th birthday. She's tasked with going to a nearby shrine and trying to wake up a legendary hero who'd been locked in stone after sealing away some demon a thousand years ago. Naturally, she's the chosen one and wakes up the hero. The bad guys immediately sense this, raid the girl's town, and kidnap her parents.

Naturally she sets off to save them!

... And promptly gets kidnapped herself, meaning you get to play as the legendary hero.

Who's like eight because he didn't really come back right. Erm... Anyway, he heads south to try to find help, promptly gets knocked out when some slime thing lands on him, and is awakened by a princess, and her two companions, and elf and a robotic centaur guy name (who has a brother named Sadness). There are some other fun characters in Aleph Base, such as Nick Tesla, a bird guy who's trying to install a railgun on the roof of the fortress, Mobile Monroe, the newscaster with a marked lack of regard for personal safety, and Misinformation Bobby, who doesn't give good information.

Very Phantasy Star-ish in style, but the battles are really fast, the dungeons are more reasonable, you have a run button which *really makes you move fast,* and there's this interesting magic system where you get a kind of secondary currency from killing enemies that works like shared party MP. Spells so far are all in the 100-200 MP range, and you get about 170MP per battle so far, so you have plenty of room to use magic fairly freely, which is refreshing.

Also there's voiced party chat, which is nice.

Dragon Quest 7 3DS - I liked the original a lot and was really interested in the new translation, but there are a couple of things that aren't really doing it for me in this version. There're some weird performance issues that make battles really slow (input lag in the menu?) which seems to be something limited to the English release. The new graphics are quite large and zoomed in, so the visible area of a given dungeon/town/overworld is really cramped, and I feel like it's sort of awkward to navigate with that? And then the major content addition's just randomly generated dungeon tablets which isn't something I really care about. (Also maybe it's just me but there've been a few parts of the new script that get so, er, dialectically heavy that they're weird to parse).

(... Also played a bit of DQ5 out of nostalgia. I have to say, as much as Sancho's accent in the DQ5 remake didn't bother me that much back in 2008 or so, encountering it now, for various reasons, it's, well... yikes).

Soul Hackers - Did the Judah Singh vision quest and picked up some sidequest from Paradigm X. Realized that the money in this is essentially bitcoins. Erm...

OneShot - This seems neat. I feel like saying anything more than that would be too spoilery.

Metroid Prime/Mario Sunshine - Picked up the wave beam in the former, messing around with red coin challenges and stars in the oil refinery/loading dock area in the latter.

Stardew Valley - Got a bunch villager story things happening in quick succession. References to the... events going on outside of the valley are are not something I expected going into this at all. Anyway, sitting on around 10k money, deciding whether I want to set up a chicken coop or just go straight for a barn.
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Marshmallow on Today at 05:41:00 PM »
So I got in a car crash last week on my way to work.  I'm fine, but my car is totaled, and now I'm in the overwhelmingly shitty process of buying another one.  I'm glad I had insurance, but all said and done I'll still be out a few thousand dollars at the end of this.  Of course this had to happen to the first car I ever purchased new, one that I've taken excellent care of.  The two beaters I drove previously never got a scratch on them.

I wish I could just teleport.
General Discussions / Re: Completion List 2017
« Last post by Klutz64 on Today at 11:35:01 AM »
1. Rise of the Tomb Raider
2. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 2: Sisters Generation
3. Kingdom Hearts 2.8
4. Atelier Rorona
5. Atelier Totori
6. Atelier Meruru
7. Persona 5
8. Darksiders (Warmastered Edition)
9. Akiba's Beat
10. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 3: V Generation
11. Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
12. Ys I & II Chronicles +

13. Xenoblade Chronicles - Wow, what a ride! Loaded a 20 hour save from forever ago 12 days ago, and 62 hours of play time (not including the hour and a half I wasted on my first attempt at the final boss) I finally finished it. Thank the heavens for Melia. Could not for the life of me figure out the final boss' second form until I just took control of Melia and had her spam lightning and then force topple with Starlight Kick whenever the thing tried to use its Talent Art.

Ending surprised me in a good way. The "stage" leading to the final boss had me thinking "Oh God, not another one of THESE* endings again!" but the actual final reveal was a nice turnaround on the classic. And boy does the game have some amazing music!

*in case you're wondering what I'm talking about:
Spoiler: show
"SURPRISE! THIS WARPED AND TWISTED WORLD WAS EARTH ALL ALONG!"
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 07:34:23 PM »
Today, I obtained a Switch and purchased a PS4. If I had sprung for it, I could've easily completed the set with an XBones. Need to recover from Turkey poisoning (in that I ate Turkey and don't have much left in the tank), but I've got BotW (Switch Edition), FEW, (upcoming XBC2 in like a week), Ys VIII, God Wars, and AssCreed BF to pick from.

But first, Mario & Luigi 5: Got the spin move, which means I can finally start farming Beans, ergo, I must be getting close to the end of the game (got like 15 hours on the clock and am level 19). This is sadly not the best M&L game, although the music is very nice (Mt. Burrmomise in particular has a very chill sound to it, while the Forest of Illusion had a remix to LotSS's forest theme sound to it). Most annoying thing is that enemy levels don't scale and that means that trying to go back for the Dodge Expert Challenges sucks since you have to burn 2 full rotations per Paper Spiney or Sandmiraagh turn, and there's no Pass Turn/Defend option for whatever reason (I'm forced to use Bros./Trio Attacks to waste turns and the Kite one takes forever to resolve).
The Soundroom / Re: Favorite Albums of 2017
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 07:00:59 PM »
Oh.  (I have no idea who Kendrick Lamar is, so that's all I can say.  I live under a rock and mostly listen to obscure metal and punk.)
« Last post by Electricb7 on Yesterday at 02:16:09 PM »
DAMN

Is that a reaction to the album I linked to, the fact that we found so much killer music this year, something else, or all of the above? 

For me, It's definitely a "whoa!" that I found so much amazing music this year.  Maybe because music re-entered my life in a poignant way, I'm in the mindset where I'm more attuned to finding what's out there.

DAMN is Kendrick Lamars extremely overrated album.
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 06:50:59 AM »
DAMN

Is that a reaction to the album I linked to, the fact that we found so much killer music this year, something else, or all of the above? 

For me, It's definitely a "whoa!" that I found so much amazing music this year.  Maybe because music re-entered my life in a poignant way, I'm in the mindset where I'm more attuned to finding what's out there. 
« Last post by Monsoon on November 22, 2017, 11:07:05 PM »
DAMN
« Last post by Dincrest on November 22, 2017, 07:41:37 PM »
So far...

5) Darkest Hour- "Godless Prophets & The Migrant Flora"

4) Efe Tozan- "The Last Birdling soundtrack" (The Last Birdling was a VN I reviewed for the site and gave an Editor's Choice to.)

3) DragonForce- "Reaching Into Infinity"

2) Burial Mound- "Relics of a New Age"

1) Sons of Apollo- "Psychotic Symphony"

With the exception of The Last Birdling, I've spoken at length about them in the Song of the Moment thread.

As I mentioned in the Song of the Moment thread, it looks like I have another album to put on my ever-growing list.  "Qualia" by Analyzed Consequences.  I just discovered this band today.  They're from Bangalore, India (I have family from there) and they're an instrumental prog-metal band.  I love how the music so effortlessly incorporates ragas from Indian classical music.  I always felt that Indian classical music lends itself really well to metal.  "Colour" and "Nerves" are probably my two favorite songs on this EP, though all of them are good. 

https://analyzedconsequences.bandcamp.com/
The Soundroom / Re: Song of the Moment: The Original RPGFan Post Count +1 Megathread
« Last post by Dincrest on November 22, 2017, 07:38:56 PM »
That i built the sky song was pretty darn cool.  Speaking of instrumental prog metal, I just discovered this band today.  They're called Analyzed Consequences and they're from India (specifically Bangalore.  I have a lot of family from there.)  I might have to put the Qualia EP among my picks for favorite album of 2017, it's so good.  I love how the music so effortlessly incorporates ragas from Indian classical music.  I always felt that Indian classical music lends itself really well to metal.  "Colour" and "Nerves" are probably my two favorite songs on this EP, though all of them are good. 

https://analyzedconsequences.bandcamp.com/

EDIT: My other song of the moment is "Little Birdie" by Vince Guaraldi.  It's my song of the moment because I must have seen Charlie Brown Thanksgiving 3 or 4 times this week.  I can never get enough Charlie Brown and Thanksgiving is perhaps my favorite Peanuts holiday special.  And that song is so good and happily stuck in my head.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om9DIDru7pI
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10