Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8175 on: October 29, 2018, 09:21:23 AM »
Tales o' Berseria - Roughly 40 hours in. Just re-visited the prison, and turned it into a hideout. Still enjoying the game overall. Dungeon design has been ho-hum throughout, but some of them still look great. The characters/story and battle system help keep things interesting. Plus, there are plenty of "fashion" items to make characters look ridiculous in cut scenes, which naturally adds to the appeal.
I'm wondering why money is even a thing. It's crazy easy to get rich in this game. Haven't worried about funds since the beginning. I suppose equipment enhancement materials would be considered the true currency, as I have to concern myself with stock at times, which is of course much more like real money.
All in all, good times. Solid Tales game.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: October 29, 2018, 11:08:06 PM »
Late October gaming stuff.

Ys stuff - Played some of Seven, which seems good although it wasn't quite the style of Ys I was after so ended up playing through the first couple bosses of Origin instead! (also tried the PC version of Napishtim but my GPU did not like that and green-screen-of-deathed very quickly :T)

FF1 - Up to Guruguru Volcano. Playing the original NES version, with a party that's not stupid and some patch that fixes all of the known bugs and makes the game quite a lot more interesting in the process. I like the kind of soft openness it has.

Anyway, it's October, so playing around with some SMT games because... Pyro Jack? I don't know. It seems seasonally appropriate! Went back to SMTIV which I'd never really did much with when it came out, finally got up to Tokyo, just beat the pond boss guy and some optional sidequests. In Megami Tensei 1 from Kyuuyaku on the SNES, I finished the stuff with Medusa, unstoned the flying city of Bien (and got access to the... airship of sorts). Currently wandering the Corridors of Valhalla before going after Loki. (MT1 does not really seem to have a lot to do with the source novels, all things considered :B)

(Also made an attempt at Rhapsody of Zephyr but it's also a lot more text heavy than most Not English games I play (towns are big and have a lot of NPCs and NPCs have three different things they say) and the... writing style/register's pretty tough. Definitely wanna spend more time on this eventually. I will say that I very, very much wish the PS2 version had not changed the original portrait art >:T)
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: November 01, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »
Started my second play through of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. Picked Mudkip as my starter this time.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: November 01, 2018, 10:59:12 AM »
FF1 - Up to Guruguru Volcano. Playing the original NES version, with a party that's not stupid and some patch that fixes all of the known bugs and makes the game quite a lot more interesting in the process. I like the kind of soft openness it has.

Replaying this on the NES Classic reminded me of just how much this part sucks. Nothing like having three dungeons in a row filled with enemy encounters that, should they get a preemptive attack, can immediately end in a party wipe from full before you can even act. It doesn't help that your healing options really suck in this game, and thanks to all the bugs, so to do the rest of your options beyond Attack.

Of course, as soon as you get the Class Changes and/or reach the Underwater Shrine, the whole damn thing turns almost into a cakewalk for most of what remains of the game.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: November 01, 2018, 03:19:54 PM »
I deem the original Final Fantasy definitely to be unplayable by modern standards. At least its remakes would make it slightly more so.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: November 01, 2018, 08:47:49 PM »
I deem the original Final Fantasy definitely to be unplayable by modern standards. At least its remakes would make it slightly more so.

The PSX version is still the definitive official release though. All the ones after that change too much and completely neuter whatever challenge the game might have possessed. The PSX version is helped by things like having two different versions of the level curve (one of which being the original), and some of the more obvious bugs fixed/adjusted to be less detrimental, but few other changes (like combining spell level charges into a generic MP pool).

I still won't say that the original is totally unplayable though. Just the Volcano/Ice Cave/Castle of Trials segment.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: November 02, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »
When I think of OG FF, I always think of barely making it through Marsh Cave (after a few tries) every time I played. Yeah, it's very early in the game, but that fucker is tough. Basically akin to running a gauntlet.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: November 02, 2018, 11:29:53 AM »
When I think of OG FF, I always think of barely making it through Marsh Cave (after a few tries) every time I played. Yeah, it's very early in the game, but that fucker is tough. Basically akin to running a gauntlet.

Marsh Cave is annoying but manageable if you know what you are doing (and depending on your team comp). The most threatening things are Wizards, Zombies and Poison, the second of the latter two you can deal with just by buying a shit load of Pures ahead of time while the first of the latter can get wrecked by a single casting of Dia. Buying Magic is actually somewhat of a trap early on since everything is so fucking broken that there's little value to buying magic beyond Cure & Cur2, Heal & Hel2, Pure, Dia, Fire2, Ice2 and Bolt2 (ignoring anything involving status effects like any true Final Fantasy player should). Another trick is to recall that a short trip across the inner sea can save you a ton of money in the early game (comparatively speaking) if you're willing to risk wiping just a little longer.

Really though, the Marsh Cave gets a shitload easier as soon as you get your hands on a Silver Sword (barring a stupid party comp like 4 Thieves), whereas Guruguru/Ice Cave/Castle of Trials suck no matter your available loadout simply due to cases where 5 Fir2/Ice2 spamming enemies ambush your party and most/all of them proceed to spam Fir2/Ice2, and not even a party of four level appropriate Fighters could survive that level of overkill, not to mention Sorcerers and their penchant towards spamming partywide Paralysis as they proceed to poke you to death.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: November 02, 2018, 01:24:59 PM »
^ You tryin' to say I don't know what I am doing??!!  ...You'd be right, most likely.

Really though, the Marsh Cave gets a shitload easier as soon as you get your hands on a Silver Sword (barring a stupid party comp like 4 Thieves),

Which is why i'd spend a lot of time grinding for cash on the sea/lake north of Elftown/burg/ville/whatever. 
The last time I played this game through was probably over 20 years ago... I don't remember the tedium of the Guruguru portion of the game, but that may be because I intentionally wiped the horror from my mind. I do remember the cakewalk you mentioned after class changes, though. Just having one of the Master Black Belts (or whatever they were called) could really turn the tide in your favor.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: November 07, 2018, 10:47:18 PM »
DQ:XI. Currently doing post game stuffs. Had a moment where against my better judgement, I decided I was going to walk to my next destination instead of simply Zooming there, que a postgame boss fight I had totally forgotten about pushing my shit in, in short order (I might have been able to turn it around, but I didn't feel like trying to recall which pieces of equipment had the best Paralysis resist nor was I willing to waste the Haullelujah I had pre-charged at that point, so I just reloaded to my previous autosave).

Had another postgame boss fight that I went into purposefully, but then I ended up fizzling out on that one too. At least I was actually making some serious headway, but then the boss started taking a third action per turn, I ran out of MP, and thanks to some incredibly bad RNG on my end at the worst moment, started making anti-progress due to all the party wide MP drains, turn locks and Hustle Dances flying around.

Debating ditching Shypox at this point. I've gotten credit for clearing with it on, but I kinda want to see how far I can go with it still on. But at the same token, I don't need for it to act up 20 times in short order while trying to chat up a town, especially since all it otherwise adds is just one more RNG to roll against or situations like the above (ask me how my encounter with a Mega Mimic nearly caused a wipe just because I wanted the entire party alive for the Exp, and I just couldn't get a Kazinger to cast the damn spell before eating a crit to the face; the MC could at least survive a crit to the face plus a follow up Kasizzle, but not a second one because he was too busy giggling to cast that essential revive; thank god for Kerplunk).

At least I beat the bosses that gate the last two skill tree branches without much trouble. People bitch about needing to wait for the Pep to recharge or to bring Pep Pips, but hell, all you really need to do is eat a crit on purpose and survive until the next turn (of course the remaining boss will start taking two actions per turn, one of which is a hard hitting AoE attack that's hard to defend against, which in of itself isn't a problem, but it does often mean having to revive my Executioner and trying again).

Edit: I've thwart the Jort by around Level 65. By god what an RNGfest that fight was. The fucker can easily one-shot most of my party with his regular punches (and two shot everyone but my sturdiest tank), has a somewhat inaccurate hind-kick that can basically one-shot anybody, and that's before he self applies Oomphle or gets Pepped Up. Buffs are generally useless because the snowballs he throws purge all buffs, apply Ice Resist Down, and also hits stupidly hard to boot. But the real fucker is Kasnooze which is accurate enough in his hands that anything less than 100% Sleep Resist will be taking a nap before being sent to take an even longer one. Oh and the mofo takes three actions per turn so he'll likely Oomphle, Kasnooze then drop Serena (and then, thanks to the RNG nature will likely go again because he's bookending turns or because everyone's asleep and proceeds to drop pretty much anybody with something resembling Kazing in their reporte). And due to the frequency of turns, most Debuffs will only last one turn if that and he has high resistance to most everything. The main exception to this (and of course, the solution to the battle) is Dazzle, but he's still got a 50% resist to it (which will either feel like a 75% chance or a 5% chance, depending again, on what the RNG dictates) and even if it sticks, he's still got a dodgy chance to hit through it (on those days where the RNG wants you to roll over and die). And as a right bonus, to actually beat the quest tied to this guy, you need to finish him off with a Zap spell (thank god not specifically Kazapple, which would be absolute horse shit, as that requires a Pep'd Up Triple Tech, and against a guy that can just straight up purge your Pep status).

Of course I wonder who here got tricked by the quest description specifically muddying that last point up?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:03:30 PM by Aeolus »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: November 14, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »
Valkyria Chronicles 4

This is slow-going, but I'm basically finished with it.  It's pretty much the perfect sequel to VC1 and the story is actually better than I expected.  There are some "morally gray" themes that actually aren't completely mishandled, which is nice for an "anime" RPG.

I have to admit that the Valkyria formula of throwing greater and greater odds at you for you to overcome really stresses me out, but it does feel good when you finally overcome them.  It's just tough starting another battle after finishing one.

Valkyria 4 does an excellent job of balancing its new class, Grenadiers, even though at times it does feel like they're a little overpowered.  However, rarely does it ever feel like it's balanced against the player.  Once you learn to think around Grenadiers, they're almost always an advantage for you.  I just made sure I prioritized the killing of all enemy Grenadiers as soon as possible, heh.

One thing that VC4 really does better than VC1 is in its Squaddies.  The recruitable characters here ALL have their own (optional) story chapters that you unlock by using them in battle.  It's something VC1 was begging for, since it had such interesting and well designed "generic" units.  So to see VC4 really step up to the plate in this area was fantastic.

I don't have many real complaints with the game.  One is that the interface is still stuck in 2007, like the original.  The other is that the "true" ending is locked behind beating the final boss on Hard mode, which is kind of a dealbreaker for me.  Other than that, this is about as perfect as VC1!

FINAL SCORE:
9/10

Up Next: Octopath Traveler?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons