ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7725 on: December 03, 2017, 06:24:49 PM »
Valkyria Chronicles 3:  And I'm done.

This was a satisfactory sequel to VC1; slightly anime-tropey, but dark enough to take seriously, and twisty enough to be interesting.  This is the game I wanted instead of VC2.

The squad members were distinctive enough to be memorable, and I liked enough of them to have a fairly large roster of elites by the end.  Some favorites were Annika (cheerful, reckless), and Carisa (pragmatic, mercenary).  But for pure destructive capacity, Imca was the clear winner, with over 250 kills by the end.  (I basically ignored the guy with "Darcsen Hater" in his potential list).

The difficulty level (although inconsistent) was high enough to force me to experiment with some classes I had largely ignored in VC2 (the armored tech and the fencer).  However, I don't think I want to see these classes reappear in VC4.  The short-range assaults the fencer excels at seem to be tuned for the small, interconnected maps on the PSP, and I don't care for the idea of armored infantry in general.  I'd rather have another tank.  Or three.

The fan translation....well, there were technical problems, but at least they didn't try to introduce a Working Designs-style localization.

Sakimoto wrote the soundtrack.  I think I like his VC music better than his FF12 work...but maybe not as much as FFT.  I guess I'll post a couple favorites over in the VGM thread in a bit.

TL,DR: I officially endorse this product, and am provisionally hyped for VC4.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7726 on: December 04, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »
Almost done with .hack//GU vol 2. The story is fine even though its extremely tropey which was expected. Might have to switch to japanese dialogue tho to see if it flows better. During the cutscenes there are crazy long pauses between statements and its annoying. 

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: December 04, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
Still dicking around in Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'm looking for shards so I can unlock doors in some tomb in the desert.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7728 on: December 04, 2017, 11:34:12 AM »
Tales of Xillia 2: Poker Edition

Lots of poker.  All the poker.  Got all new outfits and most of the other worthwhile prizes.  *twitch*

Now just working on all the character chapters before heading to Chapter 10 (I believe).  Alvin's character chapters with all the drama with Yurgen is surprisingly moving.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7729 on: December 06, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »
Currently have my dualshock 3 rubberbanded at a video game slot machine. I wonder if this is some kind of jab at people who wanted sidequests, towns and minigames. Such fun. Had a lot fun yesterday doing 9 puzzle gauntlets in a row at Oerba whatever year.  That's probably at a range of around 40 puzzles total and there's still yet another version of the same place waiting, undoubtly filled with puzzles. I don't even have a problem with hands of time, but I'm not supposed to be playing a puzzle game here.

XIII really was better without all this junk.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: December 06, 2017, 09:14:37 PM »
I didn't care much for the Hands of Time puzzles and had to use a certain website to solve them.

Still dicking around in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Got close to beating a dragon in the plains area, but ran out of potions and eventually, life.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7731 on: December 07, 2017, 06:43:24 AM »
So I tried South Park Stick of Truth.

Should be noted, I never liked South Park.

That stated, I think this game is pretty hilarious. Funny thing about it is, I sort of appreciate the fact that I don't "get it" (all the shows references) so it comes across as abysmally random to me.

In other news....

Grand Kingdom is the most underrated SRPG I have ever played. I can't believe more people didn't flip out over this game.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7732 on: December 07, 2017, 09:48:16 AM »
Grand Kingdom is the most underrated SRPG I have ever played. I can't believe more people didn't flip out over this game.

I tried the demo and it was so aggressively confusing I gave up right away.  Are you saying I should give it another shot?  Grand Knights History was all OVER my radar years ago before the localization was scrapped and we never got to see it.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7733 on: December 07, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »
GoW III - I think I'm getting closer to the end..? Just getting out of the Labyrinth, it seems. Helping Pandora get around.
This game does not hide it's attempt at bro appeal. A sex QTE? Shiiiit. The gore is awesome, though. Kratos don't give a fuck. I like that the puzzles are just tricky enough. I got close to looking a few up, but managed to get 'em all done on my own (so far).
For the record, I never finished the first GoW. Couldn't beat the last boss. ...Never played Part deux.

Been messing around with Titan Quest also. It feels like a mix of Diablo and the first Divinity, with which I'm down. I like that you can pick up and use enemy equipment.

Tried to start Risen 3, but the frame rate stutters like it's going out of style. Currently don't have the time or patience to figure out why (it is NOT my hardware, which runs the Valley benchmark at a smooth 60 fps in Ultra/HD mode). I remember when I tried to play Gothic 3 a few years ago, that it stuttered like crazy also...

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7734 on: December 07, 2017, 01:38:47 PM »
Tenshi no Uta - Picked up Enya and got into Pangola? Pangora? tower, where I was able to rescue Kael's girlfried Claire and Jitt's wife Sera. Jitt promptly leaves. He had the thieves key on him so er >:T Overworld music changed after this and it's even better than the original overworld theme. Currently at Stonehenge, on the way to Enya's hometown of Penzance.

Tengai Makyou 2: Manjimaru - Got the flute that summons the boulder ship so I can go to the thicket castle and kill the plants that are eating all of the ninjas I guess.

Stardew Valley - It's really awkward when you can flirt with a character in a game that you share a name with that also has a dog that shares a name with one of your childhood dogs.

Final Fantasy IV - Up to Mt. Ordeals. Really enjoying this now for whatever reason? Only took me half my life to get into it so :S

Dragon Quest 1 - Got the Harp and the Flute. Really appreciating how open this is -- there's no plot gating or anything, and your limits on where you can go are just whatever information you have and your experience level (which has a really smooth curve in the GBC version).

Dragon Quest 5 - The translation in the DS version started annoying me so I checked out the PS2 version which, despite having kinda grody character models makes up for it with a *really* good orchestral soundtrack and better monsters than the DS version had. Except the translation's really... it doesn't read well and it has some obvious errors that result in lines not making sense. I mean I could just play it untranslated. I should probably just do that.

Dragon Quest 8 3DS - Conflicted on this. The quality of life improvements, especially with showing skill gain results, are incredibly nice, but the five second load times for battles are not, and the limited view distance in the field really hurts what was such a key part of the original experience.

Shin Megami Tensei 2 - So I got this and SMT1 back when Nocturne came out and played the other two a bunch but could never get past the coliseum in this one. I still maintain that the coliseum is not a good way to start the game but it's picked up a lot since then. Have some demons on hand now. Beat the Ice King. Heading off to the factory district now.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7735 on: December 07, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »
Seriously playing three different Dragon Quest games at the same time?

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7736 on: December 08, 2017, 05:53:38 AM »

I tried the demo and it was so aggressively confusing I gave up right away.  Are you saying I should give it another shot?  Grand Knights History was all OVER my radar years ago before the localization was scrapped and we never got to see it.

The game only comes across as morbidly complex at first. In truth, it's complexity is more a result of the fact that there is nothing else like it and thus no potentiality for familiarity. A few hours of fussing with it and you realize (just like most other JRPGs) many of it's various systems and mechanics are not entirely necessary for progression. Now that isn't to say they "tacked on" stuff purely for the sake of complexity (which I can't stand in games) but rather made it so one can chose to really explore the depth of the title or just enjoy the narrative.

What does it do right? Fantastic combat and character creation. Gorgeous spritework. Where does it go terribly wrong?? Well, the narrative is just an excuse to do things (shallow as hell) and the voice acting is wee bit off (cringe worthy). Thankfully you can just pop-on jap audio and solve the latter problem.

It is tough for me to say outright "yea give it another shot" if you didn't like it. However, if the ONLY thing that barred you from entry was fear of arbitrary and illogical mechanics then fear not. It boils down to whether or not the idea of superb turn-based combat and character creation trips your trigger and if that is the case then don't hesitate.

Another note entirely...

I take back what I said about playing South Park. Amusing as it is, I just can't dedicate myself to it/ care about it. Then again I should have known considering I've never had an apatite for comedy in any capacity and the gameplay suuuuuuure is NOT the selling point here.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7737 on: December 08, 2017, 06:20:12 AM »
Dragon Quest 5 - The translation in the DS version started annoying me so I checked out the PS2 version which, despite having kinda grody character models makes up for it with a *really* good orchestral soundtrack and better monsters than the DS version had. Except the translation's really... it doesn't read well and it has some obvious errors that result in lines not making sense. I mean I could just play it untranslated. I should probably just do that.

The PS2 game has two translations, though. The "ye olde" DW translation  and the standard DQ translation. Had no problem with the latter myself, except that being a bit more faithful to the original conflicts with stuff like DQ Heroes which changed names and stuff.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:21:51 AM by mecharobot »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7738 on: December 08, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »
It boils down to whether or not the idea of superb turn-based combat and character creation trips your trigger and if that is the case then don't hesitate.

That sounds like EXACTLY my kind of game.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7739 on: Yesterday at 12:16:34 PM »
I spent something like 8 hours last night putting mods on (and then debugging) Morrowind.  I don't even really like the Elder Scrolls but I got the crazy eyes to see what all I could improve about it and then all of the sudden it was 5 am.

The truest Elder Scrolls experience is spending 10 hours researching all the best mods, 2 hours installing them, 100 hours debugging and figuring out the load order, then playing 5 minutes and getting bored.