Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20115 on: December 15, 2017, 05:54:00 PM »
Nope. Can I get a quick summary?

I honestly can never leave them quickly enough upon entering.

There are some I like. It really depends on the people there. There's this chain called Nedgame and I used to visit a certain location several times a year. First, everything was well, but then money issues happened and the store was left with just one employee. I've had him close the store in front my of nose during opening times so he could get lunch at the place across the street. And sure, I get it, it sucks when you're alone for eight hours and can't take a real break without closing the store, but that timing was a little shitty. Worst was when he fucked up and put the wrong game in a case and I had make another hour+ trip there to get it fixed. He didn't even try to properly apologise, so I made him fill my stampcard so I could get a 50% discount next time. And again, I get it, people make mistakes, but man, that dude was unlikable. His replacement was a lot more fun. Even remembered me even though I didn't go there often and gave me old promo stuff I could give to the little ones.

My worst experience was with the owner of Game Over in Amsterdam. He used to try to use the forum of one of 'my' magazines to sell his "personal collection". A collection that consisted of mostly Daikatanas, FIFAs and other worthless overstock. We had to ban his ass multiple times before it finally stuck. Then he threatened to sue me, because apparantly it was his damn right to ignore our forum rules (commercial sellers are not allowed to promote or sell their products on our forums without our explicit consent) and act like a turd. The guy wasn't half as smart as he thought he was.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20116 on: December 15, 2017, 07:38:20 PM »
Wait wait wait... is there a video game actually called Dragon Maid, or is it some made up thing to make the weeaboo in the story seem really cringey?  I feel like Dragon Maid would be a thing. 

Memorable game shop encounters. 

-I was at a shop to buy a Game Boy Advance and Broken Sword many years ago.  I took my copy of Broken Sword to the counter and asked for a GBA to go with it.  The clerk said they only had blue and magenta and proceeded to grab a blue one when I said, "Yo, I want a magenta one." 
And he replied, "You want a pink one?" 
I said, "Yes, I want a pink one." 
"You seriously want a pink one?"
"Hell yeah I want a pink one."
"You 100% sure you want a pink one."
"Yes, I want a pink one.  None of my friends have pink ones, so when we've had a few and play multiplayer games, I will always know which one is mine."
"Whatever floats your boat, I guess..."
"I dare to be different!  Now give me a pink one or I walk."
I'll admit, a part of me did it out of spite because he simply assumed I wanted blue and did not have the courtesy to ask what color I wanted... but I also do dare to be different and I do like pink.  That being said, my favorite color is orange. 

-I was picking up my preordered copy of Persona 4.  The girl behind the counter helping me started geeking out about the game, and as she gathered my stuff to ring me up she started talking to me about cosplay and conventions (I had recently gone to ConnectiCon that year).  Yo, she even made me pinky swear not to look at the artbook till after I beat the game since it had massive spoilers.  The girl could not have been more than 18 or 19 and I was 30 at the time, so there was no way I was going to try to hit on her or anything because that would be creepy.  She was super cool, though, and were I 10 years younger, I would have tried my luck asking her out. 

And as far as people making assumptions based on your appearance and all... I got that most in the music realm.  People look at me and don't think I'm someone who listens to metal or punk, yet I'm a total metalhead punk rocker. 

Years ago, when I was in a punk band, this one old head punk offered me a beer and I said, "No thanks, man.  I don't drink."  Then he asked if I'd join him for a cigarette and I said, "No thanks, I don't smoke."  He looks at me with a raised eyebrow and asks, "So what the hell you doing at a punk show?"  I replied, "My band is playing later tonight.  Stick around, I'll see you in the pits."  (I didn't have punk attire like the other guys in my band; I was just a dude with glasses wearing jeans and a  T-shirt.)

*time passes* 

After my band completed our set, we were out in the parking lot loading our gear into our vehicles when that oldhead comes up to me, claps me on the shoulders and exclaims, "DUDE!  Why the hell didn't you tell me you could shred like that?!?!?!?! (referring to my bass playing and stage presence.)"
I smiled, "That reaction is exactly why."
And he's like, "Well, your band fucking rocks!  You fucking rock!"
Me: "Appreciate the support, man.  Did you grab one of our CDs?"
Him: "You bet!  And I'll definitely be at more shows." 
Me:  "Sweet!  See you in the pits then." 

As far as I'm concerned, being part of a subculture isn't something you wear.  It comes from within.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 06:54:25 AM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20117 on: December 15, 2017, 07:47:56 PM »
Wait wait wait... is there a video game actually called Dragon Maid, or is it some made up thing to make the weeaboo in the story seem really cringey?  I feel like Dragon Maid would be a thing. 

It's an anime.  Fairly popular one, actually.  I don't think there are any games about it yet but if there are it would probably just be a JP-only VN or something...

I think the weirdest thing about geek culture is the desire to root out the 'fake geeks'.  As if being a geek is so desirable that people are going to pretend in the first place...

In other news I got my new K-Type keyboard from Massdrop.  It came with two 'Z' keys and no 'X' key.  Seriously.  This is a $200 keyboard...amazing quality control they have there...

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20118 on: December 15, 2017, 08:06:55 PM »
Every subculture has that instinct to weed out poseurs.  It's like a misguided protective instinct to want to keep your "thing" pure and unsullied.  Like back when RPGs started becoming trendy/mainstream with FF7 opening the floodgates, a lot of old-heads cried foul that, "All these n00bs aren't true fans; while we were playing Final Fantasy I, they were playing Mario!"  And now, looking back, did any of that righteous indignation nonsense even matter?
     -Peppermint Patty

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #20119 on: December 15, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
"All these n00bs aren't true fans; while we were playing Final Fantasy I, they were playing Mario!"  And now, looking back, did any of that righteous indignation nonsense even matter?

Well, the Mario poseurs created Rabbids, sooooooooooo...

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20120 on: Yesterday at 01:11:47 AM »
At least you dont get asked if you want to pre-order Madden or Live at the beginning and end of every Gamestop transaction. I'm black in case you couldn't tell.
"Nah fam just gimme my JRPG's and Im out" Are you sure you dont want Live?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20121 on: Yesterday at 06:00:07 AM »
At least you dont get asked if you want to pre-order Madden or Live at the beginning and end of every Gamestop transaction. I'm black in case you couldn't tell.

I'm glad the whole pushing pre-orders thing is not policy in the chains we have over here. Who thought that was a bright idea anyway a good percentage of your customer base consists of socially awkward people who just want the exchange to end in as few words as possible? Of they started pushing pre-orders on me, I'd just be like 'Nope, nevermind, I'll just order online. Have a nice day!'

Actually, I'm like that in most stores. Two summers ago, I'd spotted a cute tunic on sale and tried it on. I wasn't wearing skinny jeans at the time though, so it wasn't looking entirely right when I stepped outside to take a look in the mirror. Sales girl kept trying to push me to take my pants of, but I really didn't want to because one of my legs was bandaged up and I figured no one, including myself, would be happy to see that. Besides, the tunic was too short to be worn without leggings anyway. So I changed back into my own clothes and left.

Speaking of stores, you know what else bothers me? Toy stores stocking mostly 16+ and 18+ rated games. Makes it really hard for parents to find something suitable for their kids when they own a system that's not made by Nintendo. I know a comic book store that dealt with a similar situation by simply making a spotlight for recommended books for younger readers. They house all their English language editions (which is a lot, because most American and Japanese comics are never translated into Dutch) in the basement, and the guy in charge of that section always gets nervous when children and young teens (and their parents) enter that part of the store, because a lot of the stuff there simply isn't suitable for, say, 12 year olds. Being able to atleast point them in the direction of a central set of shelves with good comics for that demographic is a relief.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20122 on: Yesterday at 11:43:15 AM »

My equivalency with that is when people think I'm into yoga and meditation because I'm Indian.  Yeah, I've tried yoga and guided meditation in the past with a legit guru back in the 1990s when it was not even a blip on the radar of American fitness/wellness commodification.  But I didn't like it and I still don't.  The whole "stillness" thing doesn't relax me and actually stresses me out even more.  Stillness causes my ADD addled mind to freak out.  I prefer Tai Chi, because my body is constantly in motion and responds happily to the flowing arc-like movements.  The constant motion and the type of movement are what focus and center my mind. 
     -Peppermint Patty