Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Last post by Greganox on Yesterday at 11:59:34 PM »
And this is more of a specific annoyance than anything else, but I feel like in newer Pokemon games (e.g. X/Y, Sun/Moon) the Legendaries were total gimmes and, frankly, kinda weak compared to many garden variety Pokemon in my roster.  I would like to see a return of is having to rise to some kind of challenge to get the Legendaries.  If I have to work for my Legendaries, I'll value them more.
I take it you want the catch rates for the mascot legendaries raised up? They have been made considerably easier to get since Generation V.Taking the Sun and Moon ones as examples they both have the same catch rates as Oricoros.

General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 08:11:23 PM »
When a cousin of mine was visiting recently, he regaled me with many funny stories about an elder uncle we have who is notorious for his malapropisms.  One story that the entire family gets a kick out of was when this uncle first came to the US as a young man.  He was attempting to flirt with a lady and said that she looked like a parrot. 

A little context.  See, in India back then (and I think even now), the aquiline nose (sometimes colloquially referred to as a "Roman nose" or somewhat derogatorily "hawk nose") was the most desirable beauty feature.  However, that's not the case in the US at all.  So uncle's attempt to flatter a desirable American woman on her aquiline nose and colorful outfit in a very flowery manner totally backfired and was 100% lost in translation. 
Game Journals / Re: Jimmy Plays No Man's Sky
« Last post by Jimmy on Yesterday at 06:04:36 PM »
I went to another system to see if my frigate missions would refresh. It just so happened to be the system I needed to progress the Awakening story arc, so I did that for a while and I believe I've now found myself in a new galaxy, far from my base. I imagine I can still use a portal in a space station to get back, but if not then I really hope that it will send me back to the Euclid galaxy after I've wrapped up this story quest. 
Single-Player RPGs / Re: What are you favorite jokes in JRPGs
« Last post by ironmage on Yesterday at 02:51:41 PM »
Disgaea: Prism Rangers!

Quote from: Etna
Bang <3

I love how Etna subverts the superhero transformation trope.
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 12:07:35 PM »
And once again, we have old-school Dragon Quest showing us good ideas that more modern games still haven't caught on to. 

And this is more of a specific annoyance than anything else, but I feel like in newer Pokemon games (e.g. X/Y, Sun/Moon) the Legendaries were total gimmes and, frankly, kinda weak compared to many garden variety Pokemon in my roster.  I would like to see a return of is having to rise to some kind of challenge to get the Legendaries.  If I have to work for my Legendaries, I'll value them more.   

« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 08:31:43 AM »
Seriously, if you're going to put in a super powerful boss to fight in your game, you need to provide a larger reward than an accessory you don't need.

Like say, having said super boss show up and defeat the final boss for you.

One of the four memorable things to come from DQVI (alongside Terry, the Murdaw fight and the Flying Bed).
« Last post by MonCapitan2002 on Yesterday at 08:19:05 AM »
Although not a pet peeve or anything remotely detestable, I sometimes question the logic of rewards given after optional super-boss battles. 

For example, defeating Ragu Ragla in Wild ARMs gives you the Sherriff's Star. It's not a bad prize prize as equipping it as an accessory negates all status effects.  However, do you really need it?  You already defeated the game's most powerful boss without it and the final boss will be a pushover in comparison.
Yes.  It's even worse in Wild Arms 3.  You have to go through 100 floors of a dungeon where you can't save and must go through in its entirety in one session to fight Ragu O'Ragla.  You do get a Sherriff Star which enables every single personal skill on the equipped character, but you need to be level 100 to use it.  At that point, the reward is pointless.  Honestly, if it I wasn't playing the remaster on PS 4, I wouldn't have bothered.  At least you get an additional reward in the form of a trophy.

Still, winning an item that you really don't need as a reward is utterly pointless.  Seriously, it isn't worth it even with the remaster giving you a trophy.  If I couldn't put my PS 4 to sleep, I would've abandoned the effort.

Seriously, if you're going to put in a super powerful boss to fight in your game, you need to provide a larger reward than an accessory you don't need.
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 06:43:08 AM »
Joke answer. 

What I can't bear is the Owl Bear from Phantasy Star, because it neither resembles an owl or a bear.  It's unbearable!  http://www.phantasy-star.net/art/screenshots/psi/monsters/owlbear.gif
Single-Player RPGs / Re: What are you favorite jokes in JRPGs
« Last post by RPG-Man on Yesterday at 01:42:47 AM »
Some of the Gust games have funny scenes, https://youtu.be/JoODv8LVib8 , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xMqrUFjstY the voice actors do a great job in the delivery.

Disgaea always had funny scenes too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsSLQ-YYCBo.
RPGFan: Site / Re: Week in Review Live
« Last post by ScottC on August 18, 2018, 03:26:14 PM »
In case you missed the first episode here is a link o the VOD and a Youtube link will follow shortly.  If you are a fan or miss a bit of Rythm Encounter we got you covered with this.

Youtube - https://youtu.be/O_JMsgncCQs

Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/298933319
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10