Author Topic: RPGFan Games of the Year 2017

antema

• View Profile
RPGFan Games of the Year 2017
« on: December 28, 2017, 11:38:40 AM »
Was just about to vote for the RPGFan Games of the Year 2017, but noticed that one of the most important contenders is not mentioned at all. The winner of PC Gamer's GOTY award, Divinity: Original Sin 2.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:45:00 AM by antema »

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RPGFan Games of the Year 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »
Fortunately, every category includes the "Other" option - any game you feel deserves an award that we've left off the list, please write in. (And don't worry, we'll make sure to resolve any spelling differences so that games get all of the write-ins they deserve.)

On that note - every year, we get a number of write-ins for "None" in categories where someone didn't care to pick any choice. You don't need to do that - no questions are required, so if you don't want to vote for one, you can just leave it blank. :)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

antema

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 12:58:03 PM »
Fortunately, every category includes the "Other" option - any game you feel deserves an award that we've left off the list, please write in. (And don't worry, we'll make sure to resolve any spelling differences so that games get all of the write-ins they deserve.)

On that note - every year, we get a number of write-ins for "None" in categories where someone didn't care to pick any choice. You don't need to do that - no questions are required, so if you don't want to vote for one, you can just leave it blank. :)

I knew that, but what I'm curious about is the why. What method is used to select which games are listed, and which are not? This may just be the Larian loyalist in me talking, but I'm actually really curious for the omission of OS2, as it is already recognized by a multitude of sites as either a GOTY game or at least GOTY hopeful.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 01:30:47 PM »
favoritism kickbacks oversight
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan Editor
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 03:28:08 PM »
I don't think many of us played it, simple as that. Deliberation was open for about two months and nobody thought to add it. No conspiracy here, simply so many hours in the day. I'd love to play it as Chris Avelone was involved, but this year has been ridiculously busy.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 06:46:27 PM by Towns Car Marty »
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 10:38:43 PM »
I can't argue with any of the choices but thought LiS: Before the Storm was underrepresented. Then again I haven't played Walk in the Woods yet. Plus 2017 was almost 1998 good when it came to RPGs so the competetion was steep and a few were going to get left out.

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan Editor
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 08:18:57 AM »
Before the Storm was freaking good, it probably would've been on my list if I had played it before January.
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 12:56:04 PM »
Because I didn't feel like necroing the P5 or the Random and Amazing Pictures threads for this.

"Do you guys sell videogames here?"

"We sell forbidden objects from places men fear to tread."

"We also sell Conception II!"

"I'm just looking for a JRPG that isn't Final Fantasy."

"Hm..."

"Perhaps..."

"This will please the gentleman."

"Take this game, but beware, it carries terrible anime."

"Ooh, that's bad."

"It also has a cool UI."

"Ooh, that's good!"

"You can fuck your high school teacher."

"Ooh, that's bad."

"But its a counter-cultural game about tearing the rich and powerful down!"

"Ooh, that's good."

"However, it's ultimately a game made by old Japanese men that reinforces cultural values of conformity and changing the system from within slowly over time without rocking the boat. In this way it is a very conservative game, despite its pretenses of fighting the system."

"That's bad."

"Can I go now?"
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.