Author Topic: MS Surface Pro

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MS Surface Pro
« on: October 10, 2015, 09:27:21 PM »
So my laptop is pretty much dead and I need a new computer. Obviously I'd like something that plays games, but I rarely buy PC games any more, so it's mostly older stuff (most recent is Bioshock Infinite and Starcraft 2) that I'd be playing anyway.

I am quite keen to get a tablet (and a Wii U, but that's a whole other story), but obviously they're not designed for gaming. I've heard good things about the Surface Pro 3 (and presumably the 4 when it comes out) in the sense that they're actually relatively capable at playing games. I don't have a lot of money to throw around, so I'd be opting for an i5 model rather than an i7, I think.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MS Surface Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 10:24:13 PM »
I have actually been pondering this exact question, with the same considerations.  I use my work laptop for everything right now, and I don't like that.  I don't play games on it, and that holds me back from site stuff, because we've got some Steam games I'd be interested in playing... but not on my work laptop.

I have a friend who's a storyboard artist, and he uses a Surface Pro 2.  He has had pretty good luck with it, and in his particular line of work, he's heard some folks say they don't like the 3 as much as 2.  But that's all I know.  I'd love to get info from folks as well.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 04:14:17 PM »
I did some digging, and it looks like if you want to game on it, you need to get the i7 version, and I ended up deciding that was way too expensive for my tastes.  Looks like the cheapest i7 model of the Surface Pro 3 is currently $1450 US, and the cheapest i7 Surface Pro 4 is $1600.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »
Hmm. You'd think the i5 would suffice since, at least on the Pro 4, it's the new 6th gen. But I guess "gaming" is quite broad - if we wanted to play The Witcher 3, for example, then I can see why the i7 would be necessary. But yeah, I am not getting an i7 - the cheapest Pro 4 model of it here is $2300!!

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »
Oh, looks like I was wrong, there's actually a cheaper i7 model of the 3, available on Amazon for $1100.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 04:19:18 PM »
I think I'll be getting a 4 anyway, since gaming isn't top priority for me on PC and I do need to replace my current laptop. If you haven't got one by the time I do Took, I'll let you know how I go with it.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 12:20:17 AM »
These look like awesome machines.