Author Topic: Ys VIII

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Ys VIII
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2017, 06:21:59 PM »

AT2 text overflow on the optional boss crashing the game.
Never got fixed.

You either have to abuse a bug to win that fight in one turn or play on an emulator because someone released a fix for the rom.
I thought that was Ar Tonelico 1? At least I recall there being an optional boss crash in Ar Tonelico 1 which was introduced in the English version.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2017, 07:46:56 PM »

AT2 text overflow on the optional boss crashing the game.
Never got fixed.

You either have to abuse a bug to win that fight in one turn or play on an emulator because someone released a fix for the rom.
I thought that was Ar Tonelico 1? At least I recall there being an optional boss crash in Ar Tonelico 1 which was introduced in the English version.

That's 2. I don't recall 1 having any critical bug.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2017, 09:20:29 PM »
That's 2. I don't recall 1 having any critical bug.
...okay after looking into this, I was apparently mixing up Kanade and Raki in my memories, which I consider to be totally reasonable as they look fairly similar and both are optional bosses.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2017, 10:00:55 PM »
The boss with the bug in 2 wasn't even optional.  I mean, there was an optional mode where you could fight her again and again and she would get stronger every time to unlock stuff and that whole thing was basically impossible in the US version thanks to the bug.  But you still fight her once during the story and you have to beat her within 3 turns or the game will crash.

Fortunately the story battle isn't really that hard and beating her within 3 turns is totally doable.  But still, you actually have the double whammy of a potentially game-breaking bug in a non-optional story fight and and entire mode full of shit to unlock that isn't even possible to do in the US version.

...and then there's a few parts in that game where they forgot to translate shit at all and literally just left in the Japanese text (in Japanese characters, not even romanized or something).  In additional to all the usual spelling and grammatical mistakes you often see in bad localizations.

AT2's localization was pretty much a complete disaster.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2017, 01:23:18 PM »
...and then there's a few parts in that game where they forgot to translate shit at all and literally just left in the Japanese text (in Japanese characters, not even romanized or something).

Oh shit yeah! I remember all those IPDs in Japanese.
Had forgotten about that.

Andvari

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 03, 2017, 12:20:25 PM »
Well it looks like the patch has been delayed until early next year I assume this also means the PC version as well. http://nisamerica.com/blog/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-localization-update
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:23:39 PM by Andvari »

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Podcast Momma
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 03, 2017, 12:58:19 PM »
Well it looks like the patch has been delayed until early next year I assume this also means the PC version as well. http://nisamerica.com/blog/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-localization-update

From the link:

"On that note, as we want this version to be the definitive release of the title, we will be holding the PC version back to coincide this this release as well."

Andvari

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2017, 01:50:18 PM »
If the translation was this bad why didn't they just delay both versions instead of releasing the PS4 version early. I'm just thinking right now of saying alright you know i'm not going to wait until next year to play it i'm just going to start playing it I mean the translation isn't bad to the point where it's unplayable there's just alot of errors.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 03, 2017, 07:11:21 PM »
Gives me more time to save up. I'll play Ys Origins/Memories of Celceta in the meantime.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
If the translation was this bad why didn't they just delay both versions instead of releasing the PS4 version early. I'm just thinking right now of saying alright you know i'm not going to wait until next year to play it i'm just going to start playing it I mean the translation isn't bad to the point where it's unplayable there's just alot of errors.
The translation isn't terrible.  It is mediocre, however.  Still, even with the poor localization, the story is mostly coherent.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »
The translation isn't terrible.

"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2017, 09:41:07 PM »
That still doesn't change my opinion.  Yes the name is stupid.  But at the end of the day, the localization, as poor as it was did leave us with a coherent story.  It wasn't so bad that the localization interfered with my enjoyment of the game.  The biggest annoyance in my opinion were the interception and suppression missions which felt like chores.  No amount of localization can fix that.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2017, 06:20:55 PM »
The translation isn't terrible.

Technically the translation isn't wrong. That is a big hole.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2017, 10:14:11 AM »
You can be "not wrong" and still horrible.  Especially in translations.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons