Author Topic: Wizardry on the PS3 being localized, hell frozen over

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: Wizardry on the PS3
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 12:43:03 AM »
I used to love Wizardry 8 but having played it more recently the combat is *awful* and frequent and slow and it's basically a pretty terrible game.

ToFL is pretty good though.

The thing with W8 though is that it had a really good atmosphere. Good writing. Some cool adventure-game-elements to it. But the combat ruined it. It's up there with Albion and Legend of Mana in my big list of RPGs I still wish I enjoyed.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:47:43 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Federax

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »
Yes, Tale of the Forsaken Land is an awesome game.  However, I was really dissapointed by the final boss because he was way too easy.  Some enemies of the last level in the labyrinth are almost stronger than this boss.  But other than that, great game. 

Themadcow

• RPGing since '84
  • 4 groups of 99 Berzerkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 03:02:16 PM »
Bane of the Cosmic Forge was / is awesome. Proper old school rpg that needed some graph paper and serious man hours to complete. I've been meaning to have a go at Crusaders of the Dark Savant at some point but its probably buried deep in the pile of 50 rpgs that I'd complete if I wasnt married with kids :(

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 06:49:53 PM »
Two words:

Day 1.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

TurnBasedDude

• Ys Man
  • Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 09:51:48 PM »
Ok, that does look pretty awesome. I have gotten quite more into dungeon crawlers lately thanks to some DS games.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »
You guys should update the front page with news on this game.

Spread awareness!

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »
Been meaning to. I find people are pretty interested, things have jut been busy. But I didn't overlook it. :)

Phaydii

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 12:13:08 PM »
This games looks fantastic!!! 
Since Sir-Tech went under who gets the rights to bring this over???

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 06:40:47 PM »
I have no hopes for a retail release of that, but I imagine it WOULD be doable to get on the PSN. Depends on how assinine SCEA is in that regard.

Jonathan Ingram

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
There were Japanese PSX remakes of the first five Wizardry games that never got localized either, they looked really good too.

Yeah, Wizardry: Llylgamyn Saga and Wizardry: New Age of Llylgamyn. They also had an English language option - a real rarity for a Japan only RPG.

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 09:14:01 PM »
I got the demo from the Japanese PSN.

Since this is relevant to all our interests, impressions time.

-This game is brutal. No auto-map, unless I can't find how to open it(highly likely).
-Levelling is done through the inn. This game is VERY similar to The Dark Spire. Alignments, numeric spell castings(no MP), minimalist design.

There's dark rooms on 1F.

No dungeon music, just eerie sound effects. There's 'incidental' voice acting, for battles and injuries and events.

First impressions are glowing, but this game was clearly designed with the hardcore dungeon crawling fanatic in mind.

Belmondo of Blood

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 09:45:41 PM »
I actually just picked up a copy of the Wizardry on the Ps2....Tale of the Forsaken Land, right.  And that's entirely thanks to Etrian Odyssey 3 and Dark Spire.  Wish more games had the lazy mode featured in EO3, haha.  But thanks to those games I've become more interested in the FP dungeon crawler.

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 10:52:47 PM »
It's an amazing game. You won't be disappointed.

Jonathan Ingram

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaking Land(or Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative as it was called in Japan) had a JP only sequel called Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo. It`s not all that different from the first game, but it still expands upon it in a number of ways. The only downside is that there`s no English language option, but those who`ve played through the first game probably won`t have much trouble navigating the menus in the sequel. Overall, I`d say that Tale of the Forsaken Land/Busin 0 and its sequel are probably the best Wizardry games to have come out of Japan. Almost everything else(and there`s A LOT) that has come out under the Wizardry label Japan is decidedly mediocre. Although,  Team Muramasa`s Wizardry X 1&2 for the PS2 and three Generation Xth games for PC(Code Hazard, Code Realize and Code Breaker) are pretty decent as well.

Caer Seraphim

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 10:50:55 PM »
I really liked Tales of the Forsaken Land. Got pretty far into 5 & 8 too. What's funny is not just how this series got co-opted by Japan, but how many of the joking elements in the earlier games were accidentally misinterpreted as serious. Still, such a shame that we won't get a localized version...