Author Topic: FFXIV Thread

Parn

• View Profile
Re: FFXIV Thread
« Reply #690 on: November 27, 2010, 12:22:12 PM »
Don't agree on the auction house.  Not only do they explicitly mention it on the bonus item cards that came with the collector's edition, but they mentioned in past interviews that they weren't going to put in the auction house until after the economy "balanced itself" (whatever the fuck that was supposed to mean), and there is an area reserved in Limsa Lominsa that is blocked off, but the auction house symbol from FFXI is upon the sign at the entrance.

The fact that they're adding all these features to the wards after people complained was an unintended consequence of their lacking an auction house, but they could avoid the whole redundancy factor easily while having features like a search engine.  I would do something like this:

Wards - 5% surcharge at time of sale
Bazaar - 10% surcharge at time of sale
Auction House - 10% surcharge at time of listing, listing lasts two weeks

The wards would remain localized to each town, which would mean that the negative side is that the items are only sold at one location.  The positive is that it's the cheapest option to sell goods, and you can change your prices at any time to account for a fluctuating market.  The bazaar surcharge would apply to all areas and not just towns, so that would get people to use the wards or the auction house to sell goods and crowd adventurer's guild areas a lot less.  Private transactions without surcharges could be done via trade.  The auction house would be universal to all towns, which would be its advantage.  The con is that you pay the surcharge upfront, so if pricing adjusts in the marketplace and you're forced to relist the item, you'll have to pay the 10% surcharge again.  The two week listing limit gets people to price their stuff appropriately and prevents the database from being overflowed by endless listings of marmot pelts and shit.

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 27, 2010, 12:40:10 PM »
Two weeks seems like a long time to sell something. 

Dungeon Fighter Online, a game that has a fatigue system, player bazaars, all alongside an auction house, makes you pay cash to sell avatar items at the AH (regular items are free to auction by anyone).  So, the local bazaars are for impulse buys and good avatar items that won't be sold on the AH by the majority of players.

Tenchi-no-Ryu

• RPGFan's MMO Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 27, 2010, 08:45:50 PM »
In response to Fei.

I don't think so, but money is so devalued right now because of how easy it is to come by. RMT is pretty active ingame (perma farming in CH) though but I can't imagine why people would need to buy. SE just nerfed the cash rewards for higher level leves and boosted the lower ones (which makes no sense since a high level can 5 star a low level leve for mad cash).

Interesting tidbit, you can now power level people in party. The way SP works right now you don't have to do anything to gain SP/EXP like before and it is rewarded based on your level relation to the mob, not the highest party member so RMT and new players alike are abusing it. If this was intended I'm not sure what SE's trying to accomplish. Anyway back from my tangent, as far as economy goes items, crafting/repair services and shards will become the currency for goods unless they get some cash sinks in.

Tenchi-no-Ryu

• RPGFan's MMO Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 27, 2010, 08:53:16 PM »
Don't agree on the auction house.  Not only do they explicitly mention it on the bonus item cards that came with the collector's edition, but they mentioned in past interviews that they weren't going to put in the auction house until after the economy "balanced itself" (whatever the fuck that was supposed to mean), and there is an area reserved in Limsa Lominsa that is blocked off, but the auction house symbol from FFXI is upon the sign at the entrance.

The fact that they're adding all these features to the wards after people complained was an unintended consequence of their lacking an auction house, but they could avoid the whole redundancy factor easily while having features like a search engine.  I would do something like this:

Wards - 5% surcharge at time of sale
Bazaar - 10% surcharge at time of sale
Auction House - 10% surcharge at time of listing, listing lasts two weeks

The wards would remain localized to each town, which would mean that the negative side is that the items are only sold at one location.  The positive is that it's the cheapest option to sell goods, and you can change your prices at any time to account for a fluctuating market.  The bazaar surcharge would apply to all areas and not just towns, so that would get people to use the wards or the auction house to sell goods and crowd adventurer's guild areas a lot less.  Private transactions without surcharges could be done via trade.  The auction house would be universal to all towns, which would be its advantage.  The con is that you pay the surcharge upfront, so if pricing adjusts in the marketplace and you're forced to relist the item, you'll have to pay the 10% surcharge again.  The two week listing limit gets people to price their stuff appropriately and prevents the database from being overflowed by endless listings of marmot pelts and shit.

I hope your right, it would make trade so much more efficient. I didn't know they alluded to that on the cards. Just that they've made no mention of the AH in recent interviews and with all the restructuring planned for the MW it seemed to me they were going to be bullish with their little social/economic experiment.

I'd revise those taxes though cause it's only 2% sales in the appropriate Ward. Sadly very few people sell just one class of items so the division of Wards isn't nearly as effective as it could be. Here's hoping we see an AH or at least a  browser friendly MW by PS3 launch.

On another note guildleves for level 20 and below are insane. 320-500+ SP per kill at level 17, one star with no favor buff. This on top of the SP power leveling makes me feel like SE is herding the playerbase to 20+, probably to capitalize on the NMs being added to Faction leves next month. The new mobs with this patch are pretty cool. Diremites rock :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:00:07 PM by Tenchi-no-Ryu »

Datastorm

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 28, 2010, 10:38:31 AM »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:22:07 PM by Datastorm »
doh

Tenchi-no-Ryu

• RPGFan's MMO Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 30, 2010, 04:09:37 PM »
Solo SP is low, though the SP gain before rank 20 is very high. Your best bet if you want to grind is find mobs you can kill quickly for 50-100 SP and fast repop and go at it. Its all about SP/hr and the easy mobs are more reliable If you want exp for physical level, rank up a craft.  Recommend puks or colbyns since they have low hp and fast repop. Moles are also decent targets.

Tenchi-no-Ryu

• RPGFan's MMO Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 30, 2010, 04:11:45 PM »
Hey Tenchi. Can this game be maxed out on the Asus G73?

You can with the exception of Ambient Occlusion. The game doesn't handle it well at all on any hardware I've read. I can't really recommend the G73 because Asus has the clock speed and memory speed on the GPU set so low that most DX9 applications will grayscreen. I cannot play FFXIV on the G73 without upclocking slightly through GPUTool. It runs an already hot system a little warmer but it's stable.

Oh, ok Thanks for letting me know...  I'll keep looking or just get it on the PS3.

Just a heads up Cesta, they fixed the GSOD on the G73 - you have to flash the vBios but it works great now. I highly recommend the laptop as it runs great now.

Cesta

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 01, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »
Hey Tenchi. Can this game be maxed out on the Asus G73?

You can with the exception of Ambient Occlusion. The game doesn't handle it well at all on any hardware I've read. I can't really recommend the G73 because Asus has the clock speed and memory speed on the GPU set so low that most DX9 applications will grayscreen. I cannot play FFXIV on the G73 without upclocking slightly through GPUTool. It runs an already hot system a little warmer but it's stable.

Oh, ok Thanks for letting me know...  I'll keep looking or just get it on the PS3.

Just a heads up Cesta, they fixed the GSOD on the G73 - you have to flash the vBios but it works great now. I highly recommend the laptop as it runs great now.

That's good news! Thank you. I really like that laptop.

Parn

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 01, 2010, 06:42:05 PM »
I played for two hours last night, and I went from a new character to level 3 archer, level 4 conjurer, and level 11 lancer.  I feel like that's a bit too much progression for the time spent, but so be it.  Combat is a lot more fun now, since cast times actually handle as advertised.  Cure actually casts in 2 seconds instead of the 4 to 6 seconds it used to take.

Tenchi-no-Ryu

• RPGFan's MMO Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 03, 2010, 01:28:50 AM »
It's insanely fast 1-10, 11-20 is much speedier, 21-30 is sluggish, 31-40 is very slow and from what I've been told 41-50 is a brick wall. At 35 LNC I can do about 5-8k an hour reliably with 53k TNL and feels like an endgame grind. I can't imagine how the 40+ players feel. Not surprisingly nobody 30+ has seen fatigue since patch. Looking forward to the NM faction leves though, that Harlequin set looks nice. It looks like they're going the key item drops from mobs for NPC turn in for gear. Hopefully they give us master loot and fix the auto-fail on DC for this patch because there will be blood the first time this happens on an NM leve.

Tenchi-no-Ryu

• RPGFan's MMO Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: December 10, 2010, 02:28:27 AM »
Free trial extended indefinitely, PS3 release delayed and dev team mixup.

Wow, no words I can say. Looks like Tanaka was probably asked to step down. Hopefully this new guys got the balls to be competitive and competent enough to bring things around.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:52:58 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu »

Tenchi-no-Ryu

• RPGFan's MMO Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 10, 2010, 02:47:29 AM »
Interesting info. Yoshida, the new producer and director is SE's R&D director. His only direct game tie-in is Dragon Quest Swords. Hopefully he's got more common sense and sensibility than his predecessors.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 10, 2010, 05:03:42 AM »
Damn. The next few months for the game will be very interesting, to say the least. I'll be watching closely.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 10, 2010, 05:36:42 AM »
Edited because I forgot to look before I lept. In any case, PS3 version got delayed, don't care now, they're admitting they screwed up to begin with essentially.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:09:24 AM by D. tnegA »

TASTY!

Parn

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 10, 2010, 07:43:50 AM »
The new lead combat designer is the same person from FFXI.  Just thought I'd throw that out there.