Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 09:24:40 AM »
I didn't care for Final Fantasy Tactics' noseless designs

O___O
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Horizon Zero Dawn
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 09:22:50 AM »
Dang, you must really like this game
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Horizon Zero Dawn
« Last post by Alisha on Today at 08:03:06 AM »
my biggest problem with horizon is don't understand how the human's have enough food to survive. there's no large animal's and i don't recall ever seeing a farm.
« Last post by Der Jermeister on Yesterday at 10:42:18 PM »
Beyond the Beyond also had memorable character designs, but not in a good way, all the characters looking as though they had Down syndrome, and I didn't care for Final Fantasy Tactics' noseless designs, which really clashed with the serious nature of the game. Typically, I'm not a stickler for character art, but things like those really stuck out for me.
« Last post by Grainofariver on Yesterday at 10:34:29 PM »
You know what, I want to do something totally uncharacteristic here and make a point in defense of XC2's character designs. Don't get me wrong, I won't go so-far as to say I like them -- they're too exaggerated for me. Everything below the torso on Rex is too much, Homura's proportions are too much, etc., but there is something I do find very appealing to them, and that's the colours. I like when characters are designed with a thematic, identifiable colour: Rex's blue, Homura's red, Hikari's white, Nia's yellow, and so on. I feel it adds a lot of flavour to a cast: a visual distinction that makes each character stand out more.

I really noticed this preference with Tales of Xillia and its sequel. In the original game, each character is themed around a colour, and it makes the cast appear visually diverse and appealing. The sequel, on the other hand, uses a lot of black, white, and muted colours, resulting in designs that slip from my memory frequently. Whenever I think of a character from the Xillia games, my mind automatically jumps to the original designs.

It may be cartoonish and not particularly reflective of reality, but it's more important to me to have a strong visual understanding of a character versus something more realistic. Colour in general is something that attracted me to Xenoblade 2, and it's one aspect of the game that I will never fail to appreciate/champion. The designs themselves may not be great, but I'll have an easier time remembering the cast of XC2 over say, the cast of Dragon Age: Origins. Nothing against DA:O, but most of my memory of the game is a brown haze, and most of the cast is visually "that one guy/girl".
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Electricb7 on Yesterday at 01:40:02 PM »
I'm thinking about selling my xboxone. Its just so shitty performance wise. My ps4 just works. If I want to play xbox games I will just use my PC.
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Frostillicus on Yesterday at 12:44:34 PM »
I've decided I'm going to sell my PC and get a PS4. I thought I wanted to be a PC guy, but it turns out, I don't.... For the record, I've never cared about PC vs. console fanboy bullshit nonsense. I simply enjoy playing good video games. I grew up playing games on Commodore and Apple computers, so it was a close-to-home kind of decision at the time.
...I'm just tired of the variation in performance from one game to another, regardless of how good the PC's hardware may be. A newer game with apparently high requirements flows like water. A 5+ year old game with comparatively low requirements stutters like Porky Pig because of some irritatingly dumb issue with various hardware. Having to fruitlessly follow specific guides on tweaking annoyingly hidden settings to try to get games to run at an acceptable level takes time away from what I'm trying to do: play some galdurn vidya games. I've honestly been finding myself playing my PS3 much more often lately, even though I've already beaten almost all of the games I have for it.
I'm not knocking PC gaming. I see the appeal. I've had some seriously great times. I'm just saying it doesn't work for me at this point in my life. If I were single and not a parent (had abundant free time), I probably wouldn't care about this too much. However, my gaming sessions are erratic; and can vary greatly in length. I just want to be able to sit down and play some damn games.
I'll miss modding, but honestly, it's never made any game awesome enough for me to care for more than a few hours at the most. Plus, it can be time consuming to get that shit working right... IF it ends up working right.

Anyway, gonna start with Horizon Zero Dawn and Lego City Undercover (the latter for my little buddy ........and me, too).

tl;dr - Selling my PC and getting a PS4. No hate for PCs. Just not currently working out for me.
Game Journals / Re: Dincrest plays Chrono Cross (and Chrono Trigger DS) PlayLog
« Last post by Dincrest on April 17, 2018, 08:38:27 PM »
So, since I've finished my current review commitments for the site, re-read pretty much all my comic books, and my Kindle decided to breathe its last... I had some downtime to play more Chrono Trigger.  I beat Magus using Chrono, Frog, and Robo.  Thanks to Frog and Robo having party healing techniques and the trio's triple-tech doing massive damage, Magus was not as challenging as I remember him being. 

Anyway, I really wanted to see what happened to another classic line in this updated localization.  Instead of saying "Yummy frog, for Ayla eat?" Alya says, "Big frog present?  For Ayla eat?"  I can live with that, since I like that Ayla's primitive speech is more eloquent than her tribe's, since she is the big chief and by extension the smartest of the cave people.  I'm still not too happy about Frog not speaking in medieval "thou hath" (despite his dialogue being noble sounding) nor Chrono's mom calling Frog "Sir Knight" instead of "Mr. Toad."  On the other hand, the party scene was an upgrade what with soup becoming skull-smash (clearly an alcoholic beverage, by Robo's calculations), Lucca denying getting all white-girl-wasted, and Ayla being massively hung over the next day.  I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhtYPQwEvMI

UPDATE: I had some downtime and played a bit more.  I defeated Nizbel 2, Azala, and Black Tyrano.  Black Tyrano was more a battle of attrition than anything else.  I used Chrono, Frog, and Ayla.  The Frog-Ayla double-techs of Slurp Kiss and Bubble Hit were the besty. So now, Chrono, Frog, and Ayla are in the Magic Kingdom.  I thought it was funny when the trio encountered Janus and his cat, Ayla asked if the cat was edible. 
« Last post by Arvis on April 17, 2018, 11:15:16 AM »
Touché @Rook
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on April 17, 2018, 06:18:59 AM »
R2 is over and done with. At least the team I was on paid attention and utterly cleaned house with 19 territories at the closing bell. Still think this mode has some serious issues to iron out though (for instance, there shouldn't be three of these things held consecutively, period; nevermind the issue with there only being 13 Lance Crests per event, or that the map doesn't always weigh fairly, or that 18/22 rounds of a given match are basically irrelevant, or the shoddy AI making Hard Mode autobattle a dicey proposition, and so on....).

Edit: Meanwhile, Cammoo's Infernal is a joke with Flier Emblem. Just buff Usagero and Gerome and make use of that mountain range on the side. And on a similar note, so too was Squad Assault 5. Powercreep is a hell of a drug.

Double Edit: And that's Saias done too, thanks to my new and improved Flier Emblem.

Is it Spring Yet!? Edit: Pulled Spring Catria. +Def/-Res which sucks, but I'll live since it didn't affect her primary stats (and she's not Ploying anybody anyways so she just has defensive stats that are balanced in their shittiness). Was kinda hoping for either of the Askr Bunnies (especially Alfonse since he's the first non-Jagen/Olfey archetype Axe Cav currently available), but I've already acquired Ninjabbit both with good traits and a +1 Merge, which was the real prize. More importantly is that I'm now done with Spring II Festival and the old drawpool distribution. Also decided to advance my Project Selena a bit by promoting her to 5 stars (of course she's +Atk and -HP), she's got surprising bulk + Spd and Forges can level the playing field in terms of her shit Atk (too bad she can't inherit a Nameless Blade).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10