Author Topic: XIII-2 Levelling and Growth Confusion

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
XIII-2 Levelling and Growth Confusion
« on: January 05, 2014, 05:51:37 PM »
Ok guys, I need some serious help here.

I have not been able to really get anywhere in XIII-2 because I am clearly doing something wrong and at the point where I am getting my ass handed to me. In fact, I suspect based on how fast my characters get wiped out I am somehow missing or neglecting some mechanic entirely.

I am currently at chapter 3 Yaschas whatever (place with the eclipse) and have been pouring most all my crystarium points into COM for Noel and RAV for Serah. I did this because although I didn't really "get it" I thought choosing those roles to pour mostly everything into and keeping them primarily as those roles was a simple and sound strategy. Clearly it was not.

My monsters seem week as well. I don't know what I am doing wrong there....

I tried reading a bit from guides on the levelling system to better understand it and even they confuse they heck out of me.

Can anyone explain in a simplistic way how effectively level and progress in this game. I feel like I am going nowhere fast.

Any tips on how to survive battles would be helpful please don't be bashful with the advice guys. I really need it. I am having horrible flashbacks of 45 minute battles in XIII-1 because I screwed up the leveling in that somehow.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
Re: XIII-2 Levelling and Growth Confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:14:12 PM »
I haven't played the game in ages but I remember switching between roles all the time. Focusing on just one seems like a bad call as certain battles call for certain strategies. SAB and SEN were really useful for me during boss fights. Didn't use SYN as much though.

Are you upgrading your monsters stats too? It really helps although you will eventually need to upgrade to new ones. You can also sacrifice the monsters to improve others but I never did this and was fine. I am guessing you mainly use MED and SEN monsters since you only leveled RAV and COM for Noel and Serah. I usually switched into MED to back up the MED monsters if they were struggling.

Sorry I wasn't much help. I am sure someone else will be able to answer your question properly.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:19:10 PM by Darilon »

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »
I haven't played the game in ages but I remember switching between roles all the time. Focusing on just one seems like a bad call as certain battles call for certain strategies. SAB and SEN were really useful for me during boss fights. Didn't use SYN as much though.

Are you upgrading your monsters too? It really helps although you will eventually need to upgrade to new ones. You can also sacrifice the monsters to improve others but I never did this and was fine. I am guessing you mainly use MED and SEN monsters since you only leveled RAV and COM for Noel and Serah. I usually switched into MED to back up the MED monsters if they were struggling.

Sorry I wasn't much help. I am sure someone else will be able to answer your question properly.

I appreciate the guidance. I dropped some points on some other roles but with no real aim to be honest. I blindly spam leveled because I thought leveling was a pretty linear deal.

Maybe I'm just not using paradigms efficiently.

It feels like I am playing a game with a defense stat without buying or equipping new armor.

EDIT: also to clarify exactly where I am getting trounced... its the gogmagog palette swap boss in the Yaschas 10AF eclipse area. I can handle enemies fine it seems so I thought I was doing ok, but even when I switch the game to easy I can't even come close to beating him. I read somewhere that at this point some players could kill him in one stagger, whereas I could barely even get his health down a quarter way on the first stagger.

So I guess it also feels as though I am playing a game without buying or equipping new weapons as well. Although I have the best weapons chocolina offers ATM.

Between this and the fact that fetch quests drive my nuts on account of the fact that I have no clue where to look to fetch I feel so defeated.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:26:45 PM by Klyde Chroma »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:41:03 PM »
Honestly,as far as I can remember, leveling in XIII-2 was pretty self explanatory. Min/maxing wasn't necessary, and not too many fights were that difficult unless you fought something REALLY out of your league. If you're really scrooged, try going elsewhere and maybe getting some new monsters. Chocbos were always awesome from what I recall.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 10:28:37 PM »
The only complicated thing to know about XIII-2's leveling system is that large node activation bonuses change depending on what role you use to activate it. For instance, so a Com, a Sab, and a Med walk into a crystarium, and they each take seats at the three smaller nodes between the two large nodes, each of them receive a minor bonus to Strength, Magic, and HP respectfully (and don't matter at all to the rest of this story). Now sitting at the last large node was this hot Rav role who's stacked with bonuses, of course the next role to sit down at the large node was another Rav, but since they're from the same role type, she turned out to be the ugly sister with only the most essential bonus to her stat (i.e. Magic). Its too bad that Com role from across the way couldn't make it to the large node since she was utterly stacked with bonuses in all the right places (i.e. Strength with some Magic and HP).

The tl;dr of the story is that by alternating roles of different stat emphasis on the large nodes, you can get bigger stat bonuses on the finite number of large nodes available. Which is why its important to maintain a balance approach to leveling your whatever.

Also, your monsters are going to suck until you hit Academia for the first time to pursue not-Caius.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:51:31 PM »
monster eventually become super good if you spend the time to power them up properly. There's some guide to raising an OP Chichu somewhere, I followed it and my Chichu killed the final boss for me as the boss was comboing my character. But yeah if you wanna min-max stats gotta pay attention what you use for large nodes, but that's really not necessary. Maybe you need to use the buffing/debuffing roles more? they are really useful, especially haste and the debuffs
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:54:51 PM by kofvscapcom »
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 05:52:19 AM »
thanks for the help guys i figured it out what was going on.... i just sucked in battle and wasn't effectively setting up paradigms aside from trying to bum rush through the story. under-leveled and ill played you might say.

you can kill this topic now. thank you all for the hasty and helpful responses

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:08:59 AM »
I wouldn't bother min-maxing stats in XIII-2, the game tends to be easy enough where it doesn't matter.  I was able to finish everything non-DLC with just winging it, so there's no real way you "need" to level to be effective.

Anyway, my main tip for XIII and XIII-2 would be that it's best to consider the FFXIII battle system on a larger scale.  You're controlling the strategies, not really the characters.  Think of it like FFXII, where you usually spent more time on the menu screen than directly controlling everyone.  Moreso in XIII-1 than XIII-2, but the system can be somewhat of an art form once you get it down properly.  Also, learn to love Sentinel.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 07:22:11 AM »
Heck, love to learn every job. They've all got their uses. There are stages of a battle that aren't about inflicting and recovering damage, but about inflicting status ailments and boosting your stats, or about surviving that big attack. Actually, dealing damage is only important when the enemy is staggered. Sure, ravagers deal some decent damage while boosting that gauge, but the ailments a saboteur can inflict will make your attacks really hurt when they enemy is staggered.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 10:20:41 AM »
Yeah, the battle system in XIII and XIII-2 really shines when you get into the post-game battles that are all about planning out the perfect set of paradigms for the battle in question and knowing when to use each one.

Datastorm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »
I just maxed out everything in all jobs, problem solved
doh

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 04:47:03 PM »
I just wanted to come back and tell everyone thanks for the tips! I evened my leveling out and began exploiting the Syn and Sab roles and totally started demolishing everything.

Now my only problem is this game seems to be causing me some sort of motion sickness/dizziness (just appealed for advice/aid over in "whats the HAPS")... but that is off topic...

Once again, just wanted to say thanks folks! Your guys concise advice took me from feeling "lost" to very "at home" with the mechanics pretty quick.

daschrier

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 11:39:28 AM »
For post-game/DLC, is min maxing necessary at all?

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 02:06:39 PM »
For post-game/DLC, is min maxing necessary at all?

It helps a lot. Like the aforementioned monster Chichu makes fighting Snow a lot easier (even if its still a gimmick fight, at least a maxed out Chichu helps to expedite that).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.