Author Topic: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2018, 12:44:44 PM »
I don't have much to add that others haven't already said. While I enjoyed watching it in theaters, when I went home and thought about it for a few days I decided I didn't really like it. The aforementioned unnecessary hacker plot, Snoke coming out of nowhere and dying before there was any explanation, and some more recycled plot elements from the original trilogy.

I mostly liked Luke's portrayal, but thought they kind of messed it up a bit in the scene with Kylo at the Jedi Temple. This is the guy who thought Darth Vader could come back for goodness' sake! I get it, a moment of weakness can often add depth to a character, but I think this was the wrong way to do it. While I loved the showdown at the movie's climax, I don't really like Luke's ultimate fate as a result. The hero of the galaxy deserved more, imo.

I did like Leia, Poe, Rey, and Finn's portrayal and character arcs at least (even if I disliked Finn's side-plot).

Anyway, I'll check out the Han Solo movie, and episode IX, but if those also disappoint then that will be it for me. I'll just stick with the original trilogy.

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »
And we haven't even discussed the burning-est burning question of all.  Did Chewbacca eat the porg? 

I'm of the mentality that he most certainly did. 

No amount of amount of sad-eyed guilting the porgs tried could stop a hungry wookie from chowing down on some fingerlicking good fowl.  In the great circle of life exists a food chain which Chewie is pretty high up on.  I mean, look at those teeth.  Chewie's chompers are clearly the chompers of a meat eater.  (It could be argued that he's an omnivore like a bear, but bears have big canine teeth too and certainly eat plenty of meat as well as plants.)  And maybe because the porgs couldn't fight back, they took their revenge on Chewie by nesting in the Millenium Falcon and being a nuisance.  Though I'm sure after the initial annoyance wore off, Chewie thought, "Okay, more meat and eggs for the ship's larders and I don't even have to hunt.  Thanks for the buffet!"  And when Chewie punched that howling porg off the dashboard, he was probably all like, "Shut up you chicken mcnugget!" 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:10:13 PM by Dincrest »
"If marriage were a woman's grave, as the proverb claimed, sixteen year-old Kaiya suspected the emperor was arranging her funeral." 
     -The beginning of Songs of Insurrection by J.C. Kang

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »
LOL, well said Din!

Did you guys hear the story that the porgs were originally just CG'ed puffins that they had to film around?  Hilarious if true.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2018, 05:06:22 PM »
I did not hear that aspect of it.  I just read that porgs were based on and inspired by the puffins that populated the islet they filmed on.

I've also read somewhere that smoked puffin is a delicacy in Iceland. 

EDIT:
That's one thing that weirded me out in the new trilogy. The alliance is in such a bad state as compared to episode 6 that it feels like they just retconned every prior victory.

But considering how much time elapsed between Jedi and the new trilogy, that's more than enough time for either a despotic evil empire to lick its wounds and go conquer again; or for a newer more insidious despotic evil empire to conquer again.  You kill one dictator, there are always more waiting in the wings to take their place; either that, or the group they were lording over lives on in their fallen leader's ideal and continues the regime's path of conquering.  And Return of the Jedi simply ended with Palpy and Vader being taken out.  And given that the Jedi are a fringe group, re-rising back to the heights of influential power they had during the prequels would be an uphill battle.  The Rebellion may have won battles, but the Empire still has more capital, more resources, etc. to win the war. 

And even if/when the peasants enact a successful coup d'etat against the ruling class and vow to create the world they want, they end up falling into the same traps as the previous regime.  The bullied become the bullies because power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  And those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  (And history always seems to repeat itself.  When the galaxy went to hell in a handbasket, Yoda exiled himself to Dagobah.  In much the same way, when the galaxy went to hell in a handbasket, Luke exiled himself to whatever that porg planet was called.  And for all the crybabies sobbing about how nu-Skywalker isn't the Skywalker they knew in the OG trilogy- It's been, what, 35ish years since Return of the Jedi came out?  Are you the same person you were 30+ years ago?  Clearly not.  People change. )

EDIT: If I were to rank the Star Wars films I've seen by favorites...

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) Return of the Jedi
3) A New Hope
4) Rogue One
5) Last Jedi
6) Revenge of the Sith
7) Force Awakens
8) Phantom Menace
9) Attack of the Clones
99999) That crap-tastic duology of Ewok movies.  No Star Wars anything will be worse than those piles of bantha poodoo.  Even the most obsessive Star Wars fans who think pre-1999 Star Wars could do nothing wrong will have to agree that the Ewok movies were a blight. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:41:25 PM by Dincrest »
"If marriage were a woman's grave, as the proverb claimed, sixteen year-old Kaiya suspected the emperor was arranging her funeral." 
     -The beginning of Songs of Insurrection by J.C. Kang