Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Artimicia's Food aid plea
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »
There is no such thing as ACV with "nice flavor" :P
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »
It kind of baffles me how much soda some people drink.  Of course this is coming from somebody who doesn't even like soda (way too sweet) so maybe I'm biased.  In the early days of soda fountains and the like it, these drinks were treated almost more like desserts.  Something that people would indulge in only occasionally.  But somewhere along the line they became the default.  When you go out to restaurants and such you're lucky if the even have anything non-alcoholic to drink besides soda or tap water.

Drinking soda all the time is about the nutritional equivalent of eating nothing but chocolate cake.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 04:45:04 PM »
Well it is also the cheapest alternative to boring ol' water by a huge margin, so you can thank that as well.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »
Well it is also the cheapest alternative to boring ol' water by a huge margin, so you can thank that as well.

Actually, cheaper than bottled water.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 06:46:01 PM »
What I find odd is that fruit juice often has around the same calories (by volume) as soda.  I guess the fruit juice is better nutritionally, but if you're trying to lose weight, it's not like one's automatically better than the other.  Although I love me some Boylan black cherry soda (their birch beer is good too), I try to keep my soda drinking down to once or twice a week.  I avoid diet drinks like the plague.  I think I'm allergic to aspartame.

...what was this thread about again?  Oh, yeah.
Breakfast is either greek yogurt, a muffin, or any suitable leftovers (if I eat the leftover dessert for breakfast, it won't be there to tempt me later).
Lunch is usually a peanut butter & honey sandwich, cheese, carrots, and celery.  I used to use the cafeteria at work, but they served manufacted chicken once too often (it doesn't matter how good the chef or the recipe, if the main ingredient is rubber).
Supper varies widely, but there's often meat and green vegetables involved.  I rarely go out to eat more than once a week.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 07:04:49 PM »
isn't Coke worse for you than beer?  On a nutritional level at least.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-worse-for-me-a-can-of-Coke-or-a-can-of-Budweiser-Why

Soda is way worse for you than beer, but when giving up alcohol it gets difficult to just drink water all the time.

This. I didn't give up alcohol to lose weight. I gave it up because I was becoming a problem drinker, and it was starting to mess with my cognitive abilities, even when sober. I do try to watch calories, as I only have a soda when the brewski desire comes a callin'.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 08:47:01 AM »
Re: Fruit Juice. It's awful for you, especially if it's pre-packaged trash. Doing it yourself is better, but if you make a fruit smoothie or something I'd probably recommend it as a meal replacement.

Drinking soda all the time is about the nutritional equivalent of eating nothing but chocolate cake.

Hedonism wins once again.

I actually FINALLY admit that my size is becoming a hindrance. The back pain is becoming intolerable and I can't filter out any other causes aside from being overly heavy. After my plane pull at the end of september, I'm gonna switch my eating habits around to start losing weight. It's gonna suck, I'm gonna be angry always, and I see alot of grilled chicken and steamed vegetables in my future.

At some point in my journey to lose weight I went all-in with the calorie counts, constantly weighing my food and eating things I really hated (Personally I find protein powder awful- no matter what flavor it came in it always had that awful aftertaste). Sometimes I got cranky because I couldn't eat what I wanted to. It's a pain so hang in there.

On the bright side, grilled chicken is delicious. It just sucks eating it all the time.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »
I actually FINALLY admit that my size is becoming a hindrance. The back pain is becoming intolerable and I can't filter out any other causes aside from being overly heavy. After my plane pull at the end of september, I'm gonna switch my eating habits around to start losing weight. It's gonna suck, I'm gonna be angry always, and I see alot of grilled chicken and steamed vegetables in my future.

At some point in my journey to lose weight I went all-in with the calorie counts, constantly weighing my food and eating things I really hated (Personally I find protein powder awful- no matter what flavor it came in it always had that awful aftertaste). Sometimes I got cranky because I couldn't eat what I wanted to. It's a pain so hang in there.

On the bright side, grilled chicken is delicious. It just sucks eating it all the time.
Oh yeah, I could eat grilled chicken all day every day, it's the lack of other stuff besides the chicken that's going to drive me over the edge. I tried calorie counting back in february for like a month, attempting below 2,000 a day, and after 2 weeks of it I was just always annoyed and I felt like trash, and I did it for another 3 weeks anyway. At the tine I was just trying to see how it would work with my existing workout regimen, and they were not compatible, so when I start this new regimen I'll know to lift lighter at least and not try to pick up extreme amounts...but I have such a vehement dislike for this upcoming diet...I love my burgers...

TASTY!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 11:21:48 AM »
As far as the taste of protein powders go, Syntha-6 is pretty good. Especially the chocolate shake flavor. Expensive stuff, though...

stuff

This is an impressively balanced approach to eating.  Plenty of treats but a focus on nutrients.

Thank you, sir. I admit it's not the best attempt at weight management, but I figure some approach to it is better than none at all. In my eyes, there's nothing wrong with moderated food happiness now and then. Eating rabbit food all day every day is akin to torture for me. ;)

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 04:06:53 PM »
There is no such thing as ACV with "nice flavor" :P

If you drink it straight up, that just burns your insides worse than moonshine.  But a little splash of it in a glass of water adds dimension to an otherwise boring drink. 
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends."
     -Schmendrick (The Last Unicorn)

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 04:07:04 PM »
Wow I completely fucking forgot I made this thread.. my brain is a semi-train wreck this year and last... blergh.

I just noticed it just because I saw it XD

But anyway, I'll be sure to see if anyone has good ideas... the ones I slapped together on my own are

1. Through a connection to a local college, college cafeteria food, and I have to say, this was the best idea perhaps so far.
2. More Italian? But it's all about finding authentic Italian... what with so many delis these days masquerading as Italian and it turning into the worst experience I'm wary... but if I can find a good one...
3. I wonder if those midwest fast food places are any good.. or some of the newer ones like Shake Shack or something else.. basically some of those places might actually be good but no idea how to get them. The one with the butter burger, maybe.

Oh yeah, I could eat grilled chicken all day every day, it's the lack of other stuff besides the chicken that's going to drive me over the edge. I tried calorie counting back in february for like a month, attempting below 2,000 a day, and after 2 weeks of it I was just always annoyed and I felt like trash, and I did it for another 3 weeks anyway. At the tine I was just trying to see how it would work with my existing workout regimen, and they were not compatible, so when I start this new regimen I'll know to lift lighter at least and not try to pick up extreme amounts...but I have such a vehement dislike for this upcoming diet...I love my burgers...

I've just never been a big burger person, so even though they tend to be hard on people's diets I just don't worry for taste reasons.

I've never been one of those vegeterian-ish people or whatever that never eats meat but a hamburger is kinda heavy on it normally so I shy away.

What I find odd is that fruit juice often has around the same calories (by volume) as soda.  I guess the fruit juice is better nutritionally, but if you're trying to lose weight, it's not like one's automatically better than the other.  Although I love me some Boylan black cherry soda (their birch beer is good too), I try to keep my soda drinking down to once or twice a week.  I avoid diet drinks like the plague.  I think I'm allergic to aspartame.

...what was this thread about again?  Oh, yeah.
Breakfast is either greek yogurt, a muffin, or any suitable leftovers (if I eat the leftover dessert for breakfast, it won't be there to tempt me later).
Lunch is usually a peanut butter & honey sandwich, cheese, carrots, and celery.  I used to use the cafeteria at work, but they served manufacted chicken once too often (it doesn't matter how good the chef or the recipe, if the main ingredient is rubber).
Supper varies widely, but there's often meat and green vegetables involved.  I rarely go out to eat more than once a week.

Wow see now that sounds pretty good but I'd have some trouble somehow getting all that together.. somehow.. maybe.

Yeah basically my thread is trying to hone on what people actually do for certain things... like there's eating in an abstract "I think Dennys is great for everyone" but then there's just literally what people are doing and keeping a track of that might yield some sustainable results for those at a loss to understand how everyone else does it.. without wanting to either throw up from the quality or getting stuck in one too many over busy parking lots.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:14:30 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »
Like today it was a chocolate doughnut and a chocolate crossaint for me.. then thinking of trying to go a new pizza place later to try the pizza.

Well and some pickles, and ruffles chips, eating rather sporadically...

The closest pizza place to me is kinda far and actually fairly energy demanding to get to so it'll be awhile...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:37:11 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
I'm in a constant state of trying to stop being fat, and generally my daily menu reflects that both positively and negatively.

Breakfast: This is usually limited to what I have at work on weekdays, so it's typically either oatmeal, a poptart or peanut butter toast. Every once in a while I'll get a Chick-Fil-A breakfast burrito.  On the weekends I'll usually make whatever my wife wants, typically eggs and bacon. Every so often I'll make salted salmon with miso soup and rice.  Breakfast always includes 2.5 large cups of black coffee.

Lunch:  If it's the weekday and I'm biking at lunch, it's a yogurt and an orange, sometimes with a PB&J sandwich and sometimes without.  If I go out to eat it's usually Mexican food, sometimes Indian food.  I'll drink water unless I brought a sparkling water with me.  On the weekends breakfast and lunch end up being one meal because I sleep late, so I skip a traditional lunch.

Dinner: This changes depending upon what I have and what I feel like making that day.  I do a lot of Japanese-style stuff like oyakodon, curry, yakiudon.  I used to do more stir fry but the wok I used belonged to my housemate who moved out.  My wife and I enjoy seafood so I try to factor this in occasionally.  In the summer we grill a lot, and in the winter I do a lot of one-pot stuff like chicken matzo-ball soup, jambalaya and red beans and rice.  I don't really love red meat and tend to favor chicken, although on Monday I grilled steak with pepper/onion kebabs and potatoes.  We go out to eat usually once a week, but sometimes more if people ask us to or if I get lazy and don't want to cook.

I don't keep soda in the house so I don't generally drink it.  I have been buying a lot of sparkling water though, and we will have beer with dinner if we have any.  I try not to buy it often because then I won't have it around to drink.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 05:20:45 PM »
^

Wow that sounds pretty good I suppose... a lot of thought and energy into it.

Anyway I found this article

http://skillet.lifehacker.com/how-do-you-pack-the-perfect-lunch-1798156694

As I was reading, I realized one of the disconnects I'm experiencing is I think it's kind of assumed that most people get all their "meat/potato" sandwich from a market of some kind.. like supermarket or smaller market it's not specified.

It's one issue for me I realize because I don't like any of the market/supermarket food and items to make food. I also don't like the word food, can we use "essence" instead?

But yeah, I think it's assumed that there's a market interaction of some kind... either of the super or smaller variety...

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 05:23:07 PM »

I also don't like the word food, can we use "essence" instead?

no, because a "Artimicia's Essence aid plea" thread sounds...ah... somewhat less inviting to comment on.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"