Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • I have nothing funny to say
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20370 on: August 02, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »
You know how the phrase "Because f*** you, that's why!" is a thing?  Well, I'm going to create my own "Neal-ism" version of that: "Because Goblin Shark, that's why!"

https://gph.is/2gELsqN

https://gph.is/18VnLKp

"If marriage were a woman's grave, as the proverb claimed, sixteen year-old Kaiya suspected the emperor was arranging her funeral." 
     -The beginning of Songs of Insurrection by J.C. Kang

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20371 on: August 03, 2018, 04:24:15 PM »
Went to a hairdresser for the first time in 6-7 years (I lost count) to turn my bangs back into bangs again. I'm usually not a fan and my last appointment was a disaster. The cut itself came out okay enough, but the service was terrible. For some reason the stylist was trying to juggle three customers at once, and I ended up sitting in that chair for atleast twice as long as the cut actually took.

This time, I went to a different salon during walk-in hours, no appointment needed. My uoungest cousin went there a while back for a crazy dyejob, and that came out really well, so I figured I might as well give it a shot. The place was practically deserted because of the heatwave, so I got a chair seconds after I walked in. The stylist was totally fine with cutting just my bangs, which is rare from my experience. (A full cut is more expensive, so many stylists push for that even if trimming the ends isn't needed. Not to mention the ones that care more about their own sensibilities than their customers' preferences.) I also got a new type of compliment! Normally people will just think the length of my hair is impressive, and I get the occassional 'pretty', but this is the first time I heard: "Wow, this is fun!" Finally, someone gets it! 80+ centimeters of hair to braid and stuff is fun!

Anyway, now my hair looks cute again when I put it in a high ponytail or bun. I really should have done this ages ago. To think the only reason I went now is because of a Fire Emblem-related joke/dare...

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20372 on: August 03, 2018, 04:42:34 PM »
To think the only reason I went now is because of a Fire Emblem-related joke/dare...

You're really just gonna leave it there, huh?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20373 on: August 03, 2018, 05:07:26 PM »
Fine. It's Takumi related. I mentioned to an online friend I was going to do host a JRPG quiz at an animeconvention and I was going to do my final boss spiel as usual. She half-jokingly suggested cosplaying for the occassion. That's too much effort, though, and way too inconvenient and expensive, but I can put some references in my outfit and hairstyle, so... yeah. I overcame a nearly decade long dislike of hairdressers to make a referential joke happen.

Edit: oh, and sorry, no pineapple effect. The 'short' part of my long hair has gotten to long for that.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20374 on: August 05, 2018, 10:40:27 PM »
My favorite graphic novel book club member is moving out of state...

on the one hand, good on him for leaving Indiana at the first available opportunity

but on the other, what the hell am I supposed to do without my GNBC sidekick??

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20375 on: August 10, 2018, 07:13:33 PM »
For the last month or so since moving it to another room, my computer was having issues.  I decided that I would get a new one and build it myself.  Well, this past weekend (for me Wednesday and Thursday are my weekend), I put it together.  I have to say I am pleased with my handiwork.  There's still some issues to iron out, but it's up and running.  I'm not going to lie.  I felt a sense of accomplishment in putting it together successfully.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20376 on: August 12, 2018, 01:41:19 PM »
Flux pipe in my car just snapped.  Yes it's a real thing, google it.

So now my little VW rabbit sounds like a monster truck (and some of the exhaust is now being released directly into the cab...).  Luckily it's an easy fix UNLESS the flux pipe is also connected to my catalytic converter.  In which case a $50 part because a $400 part.

I've put half as much into this car as I paid for it off the lot... (And I'm finally done paying for it in November).

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20377 on: August 12, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »
I wired the garage door into the doorbell, so now if I forget to close the garage, the doorbell rings.  The signal is three consecutive rings, and it triggers once 90 seconds after the door is opened, and then every fifteen minutes after that.  The project dragged out much longer than I expected, entirely because a certain Chinese ebayer apparently interpreted "expedited shipping" as meaning "via rowboat" (currently three weeks late and counting).  I ended up ordering the same transceivers from a company halfway across the province, and got them a week later.

For my next trick, I think I'm going to see if I can get the microcontroller to send me text messages, as well as ringing the doorbell.  Being able to open/close the garage door via internet (in case I forget to close it after leaving the house) might also be interesting, but would be difficult to secure properly, and I'm running low on I/O pins.