Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 08:38:23 PM »
Or that one Genesis game that came out a few years back that was basically an indie devs' Deviant Art OC adventures through Godwin's notes and was sexually predatory enough to sound like it came from a big time Hollywood movie exec (and also littered with mismatched assets stolen from wherever the devs could nick them from).

Are you talking about Pier Solar and the Great Architects? Because that...doesn't sound like it, but it's the only recent Genesis RPG I know of...

I don't have the screenshot of the sequence, but there was definitely a house full of NPCs that were endorsing the virtues of parental relationships with their own children (of the sex having variety), and another set of screenshots showing the HD uprezzing done on the later versions (said screenshots shows a house with like 4 or 5 different generations of graphical clarity mashed together).

But yeah, that's the game.

One of my problems with indie game devs is stuff like this and Black Sigil where they really want to (re)make an early 90s era videogame but completely miss the point and end up with this bloated mess instead. The other side of this coin being devs who want to make a modern day game but don't have the budget/manpower to do so, and end up falling back on Pixel graphics to do the work for them while billing it as 'retro' (admittedly, there's quite a number of devs who actually have the skills and dedication to making a full fledge game under these conditions, but these have a tendency to end up as very avant-grade experiences). And hell, sometimes you end up with both like Zeboyd Games and their catalog.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: RPG Fan Decides My Next Game
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Today at 08:26:42 PM »
^Shut up. Bravely Default has the best battle system in a turn-based game I've ever played, hands down.

...sorry if that sounds like I got too defensive, I was just genuinely shocked at his remark about the combat system, especially since comparing it to FF1 is just straight-up false. Seriously, I don't care that you hate Bravely Default, but don't make shit up just to make it sound bad, man. Not cool. There's a lot of strategy that goes into it, especially with bosses. You can't "just have a tank, Black + White mage, and someone who likes to punch things" when you're dealing with elemental dragons that all needed to be approached differently. Plus, there was just some really cool party combinations you could pull off, and I often felt rewarded for experimenting with the job system. It is such a big part of the game, that I get not liking the game if you don't like the job system. But if that's your thing? If you liked the job system in Final Fantasy V, FFX-2, etc., then I'd say it's worth a shot.

Not even saying it's the 'Greatest game ever!' either, since the shinanigans it pulls in the second half (third act?) really sucked out my enthusiasm for the game. But what I did play was awesome, and I really want to finish it, just so I can experience more of that job system, and the battle system that utilizes it.
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Today at 08:11:45 PM »
Horizon Zero Dawn....

...Hard to find much to complain about. Game was brilliant aside from the terribly awkward facial features. I can't believe people bitched about Mass Effect Andromeda faces and let this one slide. Seriously not one attractive looking human being throughout it's entirety. I'm gonna chalk it up to everyone gets ass-ugly post doomsday thanks to getting dealt a lousy hand in the new gene pool.

I'll admit, that's something I see people bring up a lot. In Mass Effect's case, it's probably because it's part of a series, and the facial animations were a step down from the previous games, IIRC. Mind you, they were already trying to fix stuff when I last played it, so I might've missed the worst of it. At least, I didn't see anything in Andromeda that took away from the story experience...the bad writing and annoying characters did plenty of that already. =P
Single-Player RPGs / Re: RPG Fan Decides My Next Game
« Last post by Rook on Today at 07:39:48 PM »
I'm not at all surprised that some of my selections to add to this poll aren't exactly universally loved.  But they're games I am really interested in experiencing for myself.

For Bravely, that Job System will get me to forgive a LOT.  And for SO, I'm just interested in getting to play around with another SO battle system after so many years.  If I am not enjoying a game, I will just stop playing it.  I have no qualms about leaving a bad game unfinished, so length doesn't matter much to me.

People tell me that BD2 is better, and its cheaper now. Not that I'll never know for sure. You may like the job system, but you may not like the battle system. Its FF1's battle system only you can "DEFAULT!!!!WEEEEEE!@@!!!!@!!!!!!" which means skip a turn to have a stronger hit the next turn. I gave up after about 15 hours but even with the job system it still just seems like you are going to end up with a tank, a black + white mage, and someone who likes to punch things.
« Last post by Rook on Today at 07:29:39 PM »

littered with crap like the original .//Hack quadlogy,

Over on the .hack PS4 MBs a ton of people who never played the original .hack are clamoring for it and saying its the one that should been remastered. "ITS THE ORIGINAL STORY, IT MUST BE BETTER! WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US BANCO?!" Oh honey no, I try to tell them. You'll have more enjoyment just imagining that somewhere there is this mythical masterpiece of videogaming out there that you can't afford, instead of actually you know playing the game. The original .hack is dated out of existance and no "HD remaster" is saving it. Its actually a pretty terrible game(s), and this is coming from someone who liked the original .hack.

I am Sestuna just seemed like every bad RPG story ever, so yea I see what you are getting at.
« Last post by Klyde Chroma on Today at 06:17:53 PM »

I had a 1st gen that worked for years... Although sometimes it would randomly stop spinning, and thus my game would freeze at the next load.

Cripes I remember my Sega CD doing the SAME thing!!!! I also remember having terrible connectivity issues with my 32x upon release and driving my parents crazy to try and fix it so I could play Doom.

Horizon Zero Dawn: Must be the week for me to beat games cause this one is fin-ee-to. In and of itself that is silly-weird considering how slow I play through titles.

Hard to find much to complain about. Game was brilliant aside from the terribly awkward facial features. I can't believe people bitched about Mass Effect Andromeda faces and let this one slide. Seriously not one attractive looking human being throughout it's entirety. I'm gonna chalk it up to everyone gets ass-ugly post doomsday thanks to getting dealt a lousy hand in the new gene pool.

Bonus points for incorporating 1 token gay NPC and 1 lesbian for good measure.

However the title loses points for having 3 or 4 cut-scenes where outfits change to suit the FMV that could have easily been "in game" sequences like the other 98% of everything. Stupid gripe but that is seriously immersion breaking for me and could have been avoided here.

Great combat, great world, excitingly original concept, an MC that is tough to not really feel for and fantastic pacing seal the deal for me. I think what truly propelled the title into being a cut-above though was the fact that it respected my time and didn't over-stay it's welcome which is a scarcity in the realm of sandbox titles. Games like this intimidate me more often than coax me into wanting to explore every corner of the map.
Brush and Quill / Re: Book Thread Continued
« Last post by Rucks on Today at 03:28:46 PM »
Reading a pretty decent biography on Trotsky.  I need to check out some primary sources to be sure (I'm terrible at reading primary sources), but he seems a lot more reprehensible than I had originally believed.
Brush and Quill / Re: Book Thread Continued
« Last post by Tooker on Today at 12:56:15 PM »
I've been continuing the Abhorsen trilogy. I'm on the last book now, and it's still good stuff. If you like books with good female protagonists, you should check them out.
« Last post by Frostillicus on Today at 10:53:22 AM »
I almost bought Tekken 7 during Steam's Christmas sale, but I opted for Tales of Berseria instead. Ended up being a tough decision. Didn't want to spend the money on both....

Unfortunately, I was 7 when it came out and I had to throw a shitfit to even get my parents to buy me a SNES.  Then by the time I was old enough to afford a Sega CD it was already too expensive.

I'm sure my experience is not unique.

My Sega CD broke in 9 months. Which is I think about the median life of the 1st gen Sega CDs.

I had a 1st gen that worked for years... Although sometimes it would randomly stop spinning, and thus my game would freeze at the next load. Happened almost every time I fought Ghaleon the first time at the end of Lunar (because the battle song was like 10 seconds long). Sometimes opening and closing it again before the next load would help.
...Yeah, it wasn't very well made.
*EDIT: I was wrong. Turns out I had the 2nd model, which I guess explains how long it lasted.

As for my own journaling, I've been re-playing through Red Faction: Guerilla (just liberated the Badlands, starting in Oasis area), as part of the games I've been playing after resurrecting my 360 for Vesperia. ...I'm gonna sell the ol 'Box and all of the games after I'm done with this one... It's time someone else enjoys them.
Anyway, RF:G is a decent open world game, but being "open world", it suffers from too much sameness. However, battling enemies and destroying things (the main selling point of the game) is fun as heck, though.
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Today at 10:45:59 AM »
@Mickeymac92 -- All I gotta say is Tekken 7 is awesome. Although I am not gonna defend the bowling. I mean, I can't even bowl as my mondo-awesome klyde-lee kustimization.. What the hell is that about? Oh and I wish I didn't suck so bad at fighting games.... there is that too.

I actually haven't gotten any of the DLC for Tekken 7 yet. I might, if only because it's currently sounding more worthwhile than paying $30 for a "season 3 pass" in Street Fighter V, since at least I get a unique game mode from that Bowling DLC...and I'm a sucker for SNK, so of course I'm excited about Geese Howard's inclusion.

But I'm in no rush with it. The game seems pretty meaty as-is. Still floors me how much I used to take this level of content in a fighting game for granted...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10