Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussions / Re: This day in Gaming videos on RPGFan's Youtube channel!
« Last post by Greganox on December 13, 2018, 09:44:17 PM »
Since today is about Wind Waker I thought I'd leave a comment. Like a lot of people I initially shied away from it due to bad press at the time it received for the art style. By the time I got around to playing the game it quickly won me over and now it stands as my favourite entry and Gamecube title. The shift from land to sea was one departure I really loved whether its finding a new island or retrieving sunken treasure.

One cool tidbit I'd like to mention is that this game was showcased as part of an exhibit for the Vancouver Art Gallery I visited many years ago. The exhibit covered art in videogames, animation, comics, anime and manga; basically pop culture. I thought it was neat that the general public was being exposed to this game.
General Discussions / Re: Completion List 2018
« Last post by Arvis on December 13, 2018, 04:30:23 PM »
You should force yourself to retire consoles more often
General Discussions / Re: Completion List 2018
« Last post by Rucks on December 13, 2018, 04:25:53 PM »
1) Doom and Destiny -  stop #1 on my "Xbox360 Retirement Tour" was stupid and rote and most of the jokes were offensive.  Oh well. On to the next one.
2) Shank - Another XBLA game I blew right through.  I'm trying to retire my 360 so that means slogging through shitty, overly violent platformers like this one before I finally play Dark Souls.
3) Guardian Heroes - XBLA
4) Half Life 2 - XBLA
5) Breath of Death VII - XBLA
6) Cthulhu Saves the World - XBLA
7) Sequence - XBLA
8) Panzer Dragoon Orta - Xbox
9) Castlevania Chronicles - Vita
10) Tales of Vesperia - 360 - 57 hours. Great game, 2nd best tales after Eternia. But the real story is that I finally get to chuck my old and busted Xbox 360.
11) Gravity Rush - a competent game in a fascinating setting.  Wasn't everything it could have been but definitely gets high marks for taking some chances.
12) Skies of Arcadia - 59 hours.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this game.  Though I don't really have anything to say about it that hasn't been said ad nauseum before (great setting, fantastic cast, loads to discover, but way too many goddamn random battles,even with the white map. when all you want to do is explore...)
13) Torchlight II - 27 hours.  Outside of my gripes with the controls, this was a tremendously fun and challenging (on veteran) game.  I very much prefer Torchlight's visuals and ambiance to other hack n slashes like Diablo.

Holy Crap.  13 games in a year is blisteringly fast for me.
General Discussions / This day in Gaming videos on RPGFan's Youtube channel!
« Last post by Maxximum on December 12, 2018, 08:18:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaC-oSFhb3U&list=PLsBHBNUhK-ZB4iP4XFZ0Ks0NIekv3_fcI
Just thought I'd share a band spanking new video project RPGFan started this December. It's piloted by Greg, and features a bunch of staffers lending their voices! :)
Check out the videos, and if you're feeling groovy (people still say that, right?), leave a like and/or comment :)
General Games / Re: Games so good you got sad when it was over
« Last post by Starmongoose on December 11, 2018, 06:13:36 PM »
Bah. Thanks for the report. he's banned now. I'll edit his page to take away all the links.
« Last post by Aeolus on December 11, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
Spam?  But where's the sketchy link?

They're in the profile, just under the post count.

Its Social Media Spam, or SMSpam for short.

Goddamn page snipe.
« Last post by Arvis on December 11, 2018, 02:08:23 PM »
Spam?  But where's the sketchy link?
« Last post by Rucks on December 11, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »
^ wat?
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Arvis on December 11, 2018, 10:30:26 AM »
Octopath Traveler

I got all 8 Travelers!  Current party is: Alf, Oph, Therion, and Olby.  I even got the Merchant and Warrior sub jobs, and that's been a blast.  Gave Merchant to Olberic because it seemed like it would help him with Challenges.  Gave Warrior to Alf and have kinda made him more of a support/tank than the physical attacker he has mostly been.  Olberic is obviously still better suited to tanking with his special Defend ability, but Alf still makes a good one with Hale & Hearty and Cover equipped (his resistance to ailments help a bit here too).

Also did Alf's second chapter, which was really good.  I am loving each story vignette.  They're really well crafted and interesting, and the number of diverse locations and towns makes me very happy.
Also really enjoyed what limited party interactions there have been.  So far I've only seen 3 with Alf and the other 3 party members I'm using, and they ranged from "mostly generic" (with Olby) to "legitimately hilarious and charming" (with Ophilia).

What a fantastic game.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on December 11, 2018, 07:55:47 AM »
The one upside to this update is that its effectively safe (enough) to go full merge now since its quite unlikely that the game will last long enough to reach a scummy 6 star rarity increase (or at least long enough for it to matter before the life-support gives out).

(The other is that my +Atk/-Def Ogma that I've had for forever now gets to be relevant again.)

Basically, I'm playing to eventually collect whatever waifus I can now. I'm not bothering with anything skippable like Abyssals, VGs past the participation rewards, T_T past the 50k mark, daily bullshit, and so on. The only reason I'm still bothering with AR is to gather the 2200 Grails necessary to +10 Marisa (barring any more freebies they might dole out).

Edit: Pulled a second Lewyn off of HF after 3 full pulls (*grumble grumble*) and got +Res/-Atk, which may or may not be superior to +Def/-Spd (it kinda isn't IMO since I'm trading kill efficiency for a better BST, which goes against Lewyn's build).

Caleditndar: Next calendar is finally up and to make up for these belated Book 3 transition shenanigans (and getting Eir Lif'd straight to Hel, in a Thrasir....meh), we're getting two T_Ts in a row with the next two seasonal banners practically on top of each other (along with the usual monthly crap; no sign of a new GHeB though, just the Linus rerun).

As an aside, two days into the new AR season and I damn near crawled out the fire escape already. Nothing like facing down pure meta cancer cheese with a combination of Reinhardt, B. Veronica and Brazen 9 + 2 Celica, supported by both Babby Azura, and Bride Ninian, in the standard Reddit layout. (Edit: Christ, I can be fucking dyslexic some days).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10