Author Topic: Internet Dating, A.K.A. How to Scar Yourself Forever

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
Internet Dating, A.K.A. How to Scar Yourself Forever
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:21:07 PM »
Greetings, bitches.  I know it's been a fucking age since I made a topic, but if I don't vent somewhere then I might explode.  Whether I explode out of laughter or horror is still up in the air.

Maybe I've just been lucky all this time.  I've been doing this internet socializing thing for damn near ten years now, much of it right here on these boards.  I met some of my favorite people in the world right here at RPGFan, many of whom I still maintain contact with even though I've stopped posting here regularly.  Even talked to a couple of them on the phone, and they were normal, when I was secretly expecting the worse. :P  It built up a lot of faith in me, faith that the internet can be used for something more heartfelt than just shopping or as some sort of information dump.

That faith is all but gone.

To make a really long story short, I recently decided to dabble in internet dating.  When you work odd hours like I do AND have the misfortune of living way the fuck out in the woods and away from anything remotely resembling a social scene, you don't have as many dating options as someone in an urban setting.  So I went to a popular dating site (which will remain nameless, because I don't want your fuckers seeing my profile. :P) and prostituted myself out like those places tend to make you do.  About a month after I did this, I started getting messages from someone who lived relatively close to me.  We got to sending private messages back and forth to one another about baking of all things, which in turn led to emails, which in turn led to instant messaging sessions which in turn lead to tonight:  the phone call.

My God.

The nice girl I talked about fucking cake consistency with turned out to be a walking litany of craziness, literally the embodiment of all things Drama.  Shot heroin when she was a teenager and gave herself nerve damage from it.  Three kids with two different fathers, one of them being a product of rape.  Dyslexic high school dropout.  Oh, and technically married.  Separated from her ex for a few years...her ex that used black magic to summon evil shadowy spirits to haunt her and her children, which she solved by putting crosses in every room in her trailer and bringing in an exorcist.

It didn't take me long to find an excuse to hang up the phone after that last bit.  Blocked her on my house and cell phones, but couldn't make it to Yahoo Messenger in time.  She sent me a message on there asking what was wrong, and I plainly told her that she had freaked me right the fuck out.  At which point she cussed me out and said she was "tired of games".  What the fuck.

Anyhow, this has pretty much made me leery of all things internet.  I need my faith restored.  Have any of you ever had success with internet dating?  If so, why not share your story?  Surely there has to be SOME good to come out dating via a series of tubes.  And if you have a story that sucks as bad as mine or worse, then please feel free to share it and wallow in misery with the rest of us. :P

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Dating, A.K.A. How to Scar Yourself Forever
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 11:22:37 PM »
Women can be nucking futs.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
In reality, she was a rich top model... and you failed the test.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »
What test is that?  The are-you-desperate-enough-to-date-a-lunatic test?

Some tests are better off failed...

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:52:29 PM »
In reality, she was a rich top model... and you failed the test.

That's like some sick twist on the Beauty and the Beast curse.

My wife's cousin met his BEAUTIFUL, SENSIBLE wife on eHarmony. But then, yes, urban environment: they both lived in LA.

Seultoria

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 12:25:52 AM »
I never tried internet dating because I always figured I would get trolled and the girl would end up having a dick or something.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 12:34:48 AM »
Internet dating worked for my brother.  Found a nice girl and they even have people they know in common.

I have never done it.... I'd use it as a last resort because, hell, even guys in real life can suck as much as..
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 07:28:23 AM »
Well, I met my boyfriend over the internet. :P We have been going out with each other for three years now(not counting when we hadn't met yet), and living together for two. It wasn't a dating site, it was a IRC for Yugioh fans. :P Shup.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Bytor

• Ego Enhancement Consultant
  • Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 08:47:58 AM »
My best friend met his wife playing SimsOnline, now that has to take the reward, lol, although I work with a couple that met playing one of the MMO's I forget which though.
Everything's Eventual

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 09:08:11 AM »
I don't have any experience in internet dating but maybe you shouldn't give up. That was a particularly bad case, I doubt that there are many like that out there, at least I hope there aren't. 
My advice is trying to know more about the person as soon as possible, even in the first couple of conversations you can find out a lot if you're subtle. Don't save the important stuff for when you actually meet or talk on the phone, get those issues that might bother you out of the way as soon as possible, otherwise you might just be wasting your time.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
I met my +1 as a end result of meeting friends on another forum, but I never have dated "online"

I have no problem because from my experience, it's fucking impossible to meet people except for either working with them, going to school with them, or meeting them through a friend.

And once you finish school that closes that chapter, and if you have a job that doesn't allow dating or you work with a bunch of cows that chapter is closed.

In a related note I've been thinking about using craiglsist to find people to hang out and play games with. I moved to a new area in chicago, about 30 miles from where I used to live so all my friends are quite a ways away.

Vanguard

• I am America, and I hate JRPGs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »
I was going to post something with more substance, but I went to bed at 4AM after an unquantifiable number of drinks at the bar. So, I leave you with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »
I was going to post something with more substance, but I went to bed at 4AM after an unquantifiable number of drinks at the bar. So, I leave you with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc

Almost 14 million views, wow... Still better than D-Rider's new friend, I think...
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 11:35:25 AM »
I've met two women through a dating site and both were fairly positive.

First one went well.  She had two jobs and was putting herself through graduate school.  The times we met up, were all good.  She was kind, good personality, not overly religious, quite pretty, ambitious, liked to cook, supposedly had an affinity for having things in her rear, but was incredibly busy and didn't have much free time.  She also didn't like gamers at all.  We only met a few times but I hated having to hide that I liked video games so I didn't really pursue her.  Sucked that we put so much time into messaging each other (for about a month before we actually met) and that part kind of turned me off to the whole idea of internet dating.

I ended up trying another time and it still ended up okay.  We didn't message as much before meeting and just went out to eat at a local eatery.  She brought a friend which was fine, but her friend was incredibly cute and it was distracting.  She was nice and I enjoyed hanging out with her, but it never went anywhere.

TLDR; I think internet dating is stupid. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:52:49 AM by Akanbe- »

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 11:14:25 PM »
Internet dating in LA is a nightmare.Several of my friends and some of my clients when I worked as a therapist all talked about having horrendous online dating stories.

Many people that do online dating in LA are from either rehab or prison.