Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7635 on: October 26, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »
My interest may be waning.

Glassjawsh is talking more about the early few games. The DS remakes brought the games up to modern standards somewhat. 8 is just a really fun jrpg, althouh I have not played it since the PS2.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7636 on: October 26, 2017, 03:51:44 PM »
I think I'll go for 8. It seems the most accessible since I have 0 nostalgia for this series.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7637 on: October 26, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »
^ 8 is an objectively good game.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7638 on: October 26, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »
I'm playing it mostly for the capsichum pun.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: October 26, 2017, 04:14:30 PM »
Dragon Quest games for me are largely consistent in quality, so if you like at least one, you'll likely enjoy the others but if not, then don't bother than the rest. The first six games in the series are available on iOS devices (and the eighth, though I wouldn't recommend that version).

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7640 on: October 26, 2017, 11:53:39 PM »
I'm playing it mostly for the capsichum pun.

You're gonna love the series if punishment is your game.

But seriously, any of the primary numbered ones aside from DQ2 are good. DQ1 is archaic as hell but in a sense its also pure distilled JRPG. DQ2 is basically hella borked and damn near unplayable in any form. DQ3 is also archaic but starts to get some of the mechanics the series is best known for with Class mechanics. DQ4 is the first interesting one due to starting off by introducing your party members through their own scenarios. DQ5 has the best overall plot (although I still don't know what the verdict on XI's plot is yet) and is my favorite; it also introduced Recruitable Monsters (after SMT but before Pokemon). DQ6 has a really strong start but petters out after Murdaw. DQ7 is pictured under the definition of meandering (kind of the epitome of the series love of vinaigrettes over overarching quests from the Final Fantasy school of JRPG design; unfortunately the 3DS remake did more harm to those than good which sucks because it did a lot to fix up the localization and gameplay speed (as its seriously a 200 hour JRPG)). DQ8 was really pretty on the PS2 and solid still, but has Level 5's grind happy fingerprints all over it; the 3DS version smooths out some of the grind and gives you more options for your party (even if the changes render best party member Yangus obsolete). DQ9 is a thing that exists but suffers from Nintendo DSitis (and also has Level 5's grind treadmills installed all over the place). DQ10 is a Japan locked MMO (and basically doesn't exist). And DQ11 also exists and hopefully we'll get a chance to play it soon (even though it did a bunch of weird, gimmicky visual shit).

TL;DR: DQs IV, V or VIII are the best to start with. DQ III if you're feeling bold or have a taste for ye olde skool.

Up to Chapter 9 of Thracia 776. Just got Dagdar back and it's great to have him wrecking shit again. Funny that they strand him with his useless daughter at the beginning of 8x to show you how ridiculously powerful he is. I'm running into a lot of poison weapons, but it seems like a waste of an inventory slot to remove poison just like the GBA games. Plus it provides a steady unit for staffbots to grind on!

The previous couple chapters for escaping Manster were a really nice challenge, although I do scratch my head at some of the design choices made. The massive shortage of swords (they didn't even provide much in the way of enemies holding swords, barring a shitload of armor knights who are nearly impossible to capture) in multiple chapters where all my characters were sword-locked made me use Asbel a whole lot, because Leif's Light Brand sure was running low. I put all the Crusader scrolls I had on him and by the end of the escape he was like level 15 and capped speed. I would've run out of mage tomes too, had the game not let Lifis tag along and instantly neuter any enemy mages by stealing their tomes.

The head scratching part? Both Lifis and Asbel are from Gaiden chapters, so I can only imagine how terrible it'd be if you had neither, to not just be missing the invaluable magic damage from Asbel but also not have Lifis around to take care of the enemy mages (and double your Vulnerary jacking alongside Lara).

Also had my first run-in with the fatigue mechanic, and naturally everyone in the escape was fatigued except Finn/Safy if you count them. Unless the game throws another multi-chapter arc where it adds up fatigue like that I don't think the mechanic will cause too much trouble, it's pretty lenient from what I can tell. Although I guess low-HP units like Safy might run into it.

As for some of the other mechanics that are new to me- I like how dismounting and indoor/outdoor chapters helps encourage players to not just build a central team of horses and ride your way everywhere, although it does seem to end up making Free Knights and Troubadours way better classes than most since they can always use their primary weapon. Staves being able to miss is pretty awful, but it'd be a lot more tolerable if I could see the fail rate and actually plan around it. Not sure on build having a growth rate, I guess more variation each playthrough is nice, but it was a bit annoying to have Lifis get a build growth and suddenly Machua couldn't rescue him anymore, and those extra muscles he grew didn't help him survive the enemy phase.

In any case, now I have to figure out who I should give the Paragon/Wrath manuals to. Thinking of giving Wrath to Dagdar, but I don't think anyone on the team's hurting for EXP so I might hold onto the Paragon Manual for a bit.

As much of a sufferer of early game Archer syndrome as Tanya is, she's still a better unit than Mr. "I wanna Res Tank" Rowan (although she's still screwed since Selphina and Robert are literally just around the corner).

That said, yeah, you're kinda seriously limited on your options prior to your escape from Manster, which is kind of the point. Hell, half of your new recruits from Manster are pretty damn lackluster anyways (Fergus and Karin are your prizes for the sequence as is Asbel if you got him, Lara can contribute later on in a rather unusual way but she's a load until she gets there, Brighton and Machyua are decent but can be useful in a pinch, Hicks is just there, and Dalsin is in the one FE game that hates Armored units more than any other FE game in the series). And you're right that any Mounted Unit that can use their primary weapon type on and off their mount are solid contenders due to just how glacial Weapon Ranks are gained in this game (even Fates and RD's Laguz have faster Weapon Rank gains).

And yeah, Fatigue pretty much hits you with a baseball bat at this point, since it implies that your party had to put themselves into overdrive for their desperate escape from Manster and is part of that feeling that Leif and his crew only got the hell out of Dodge more on dumb luck and timely support from far more important players like Ced, than on his skill or army quality. Fortunately, it won't hit you like that again since there aren't any story arcs as desperate as Manster (though Kempf is a goddamn breather compared to the other arcs). As for Manster's weapon quality, there are far more bizarre and what-the-christ decisions in regards to this game's weapon availability (Anima Magic is a complete clusterfuck), and really, Fatigue is only ever threatening if you've ignored the majority of your cast or you somehow managed to wind up getting multiple useful units strickened by it at a bad Chapter.

As for Wrath and Paragon, I'd give Paragon to any non-Sword users or somebody you really want to grow fast as the King's Sword also grants the Paragon effect (it and Leif's Light Sword are the best weapons to use Hammerne on), and Wrath works best on someone with either 0 or 1 in their PCC (Karin's a solid choice as it patches her PCC of 1 and Flight and an active Wrath are a ruinous combination).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7641 on: October 27, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
XII TZA: More hunts!  Weird structure: to hunt Diabolos, which is like Mark #28, you need to have first beaten Antlion, which is Hunt #38.  And the clues you get as to the whereabouts of the Site 11 key are so opaque that I really don't know how anyone would know without using the internet or just stumbling upon the answer.

I also beat Deathgaze.  I really thought he'd be more difficult, but it seems like my builds are just OP.  I feel good about that.  It feels like I accomplish something every time I beat what would have been a difficult Mark for me back in 2006.

Tales of Xillia: still rolling through cutscenes on Youtube to set up playing the sequel.  This has been a long time coming.  But just watching it makes me remember how much fun I had playing the game.  Such a blast.  I like the balance this franchise takes between gameplayer, story, and production value.  A good middle ground between Trails (all story/character with little PV) and Final Fantasy (all PV with less emphasis on story).
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7642 on: October 29, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »
Persona 5: Finally beat.

I say finally because the game was LONG.

I say LONG, not because my clock broke 100 hours but rather due to the fact that I seriously wanted the game to be over for awhile.

My entire experience with P5 was so bitter sweet. I conclude two facts: A- I am totally NOT looking for what most find appealing in JRPGs. B- I could care less how good a narrative is if it involves as much downtime as P5 did. Danced waaaaaay too far into the realm of "visual novel" for my taste.

Not that I regret my time. I'm happy I saw this through. All my gripes are subjective and I have to admit that the game is damn near pristine in every respect it tries to be. It is however, the anti-thesis to Nier Automata which was virtually everything I DO in fact want in my games nowadays.

All I know for certain now is I need something far removed from this most recent experience. I think it is a good time to finally give Dragon's Dogma another go round or something.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: October 30, 2017, 03:28:18 AM »
Nah, you're hardly the first to claim P5 was long in the tooth, Klyde. Pacing is a part of good storytelling, too, so I'd say your criticisms are legit.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7644 on: October 30, 2017, 11:22:50 AM »
Yeah, P5 definitely overstayed its welcome.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: October 30, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »
Be careful bad-mouthing Persona anywhere else, boys.  Doing so is treated as illegal.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7646 on: October 30, 2017, 12:39:36 PM »
The series reached its apex with 3.  It's been a slow backslide into teeny boopery ever since.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7647 on: October 30, 2017, 02:09:11 PM »
I still cannot fathom why people put P3 on such a pedestal.  Mind you, I give it full marks for innovating.  It was trying something truly new at the time, so hats off for that.  But P4 and P5 refined that formula to such a degree that after experiencing them P3 feels practically unplayable.  One-dimensional characters, a significant part of the challenge stemming from not actually having control over your party, and a large portion of the game being nothing more than the world's least interesting dungeon crawl.  Seriously, I hated tartarus by the end of that game.  I dreaded every tedious minute that game made me spend there...

(Mind you one of my big criticism of P5 is how much mementos feels like tartarus with a cat bus...but at least it's a much smaller portion of the game there)

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7648 on: October 30, 2017, 02:59:01 PM »
P4 feels like I am playing a season of Degrassi...

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: October 30, 2017, 05:07:41 PM »
So, don't watch the P4 anime?

Anywho, playing Gigantic for the PC. Having a swell time, though the learning curve feels steeper than it should be. It's a multiplayer-only game, but player interaction has been next to nill from my experience so far (which is probably a boon, honestly), the tutorial was useless, and while there is a Co-op vs AI mode, the bots are so freaking dumb that it doesn't feel worth it. Plus, a lot of the progression stems from earning badges and whatnot for the missions (called "fortune cards"), which only apply to PvP, so there's not much incentive to practice there.

So yeah, in tyhe last 20 matches, I only won 3 of them. I really haven't figured out how team balancing works yet, nor have I memorized the maps, however, and don't even get me started on creature building. I looked up some tips, which REALLY helped, but that's what I'm getting at: the tips themselves were basic enough that I feel like I might've picked up on them on my own if I had a proper tutorial or bot match to practice with. At least there's a mode for practicing characters. That definitely comes in handy with the faster characters like Wu and Tyto (who is super-duper fun to play as).

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes