Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)

Nel_Annette and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »
Still likely to be better about it than Star Ocean 5 was or anything Level 5 ever put out at least.

The one thing you're not remembering here is that Level 5 made Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle, which is one of the greatest video games ever made.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2017, 06:58:48 PM »
Still likely to be better about it than Star Ocean 5 was or anything Level 5 ever put out at least.

The one thing you're not remembering here is that Level 5 made Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle, which is one of the greatest video games ever made.

DC2 was yea one of the best of the PS2 era. Their games do need a better story (never played Ni no kuni) and to be a lot less grindy.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2017, 07:21:41 PM »
^ Rogue Galaxy was great! And DQ VIII. In fact all 4 of L5's PS2 games were top notch. But has any other developer fallen much farther since?

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2017, 09:31:06 PM »
Yeah I liked Rouge Galaxy a lot.  It was solid and deserved a sequel or something set in the universe.

Id say Enix has fallen from grace in terms of quality. I dont get excited for anything they put out. Especially after how bad vs13... oops I meant FF15 was.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2017, 10:45:43 PM »
I was looking at some more gameplay video's and half the damn screen is just riddled with bars, words, icons and numbers. Not to mention the constant audio overlap from party members chanting something literally every second.

Just got my Switch today before the holiday scarcity ensues. Cant wait.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2017, 08:12:07 PM »
Excuse me friend. Do you happen to know the time?

Spoiler: show
Its Reyn time

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2017, 01:20:11 AM »
It amuses me that the Donpon shares a name with another noteworthy Nopon.

That being said, I'd say that Pyra's design continues to rob the game of any pathos, but Rex's magically vanishing/reappearing inner-wear, the obvious 'not actually a villain' catgirl, the lightsaber swordbeam fights and the Level 5 tier scenario writing was going to do that anyways (at least it didn't start with an evil circus coming to town). And while I admire the fact that they got Crispin Freeman back to voice another character in a Xenogame, the rest of the English VA so far sounds like Anime Highlander (which, to be fair, fits in the general ascetic, if a little too 'on the nose').

Anyways, out of the prologue, but nowhere near out of the woods in terms of getting tutorials or unlocking basic mechanics.

Edit: Apparently, I had a goddamn year to post about it, but I somehow forgot to gripe about having to pick up drops post battle and from treasure chests (hey, here's this item you went out of your way for, too bad it clipped through the level geometry and there's no autocollect function (that I've unlocked yet)). Also, the music is very lovely, but the regular battle theme continues to be the weakest part of a Xenogame. Menu functions seem a lot clunkier on the whole, but I do enjoy the Blades' Affinity Chart as it essentially folded in all those 'go kill 5 Volfs' quests from XBC1 & X. Once, I get these chests to stop griefing me, I'll move on past not-Gaur Plains.

Also, I've developed a bad habit of referring to Weapon Points as Waifu Points (granted, not every Blade is female, just most of the unique ones).

Edit the Second: Lol, Popori is what the Skell mechanics Regenerated into. At least Tiger! Tiger! is almost a good game. And while the game's writing isn't faring much better than a Tales of Plot right now (I'll admit, I may have gone overboard by likening it to a Level 5 game's plot earlier), I could see the potential humor from some random out of context screencaps (in motion they look worse than your usual Japanese skit of the funime).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:09:56 AM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2017, 09:53:22 PM »
Wait does this game have 1 save slot? Surely I'm missing something.

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2017, 10:17:47 PM »
It only has one, so you don't save scum opening blades.  It's really stupid IMO.  NO game in this day and age should have one save slot.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2017, 11:25:08 PM »
Its basically the story of the game so far. For every good idea it has to push beyond the previous games, it does something almost headscratchingly baffling in return.

For instance, your Arts are more powerful and now no longer run on a timer. Instead, they need to be charged by connecting your Auto-Attacks and you don't have them from the get-go (without unlocking that ability within the Skill Tree first) making the first several seconds of the fight drag, or that Level requirements aren't as strict, but now they're a whole lot wonkier as you're really dependent on your party count (i.e. Rex alone has a hard time dropping a single enemy 3 levels below him, whereas a party of 3 can punch 10 or 20 levels above their weight class if handled correctly).

Frankly, I'm not yet ready to really go over the game's mechanics, as even though I'm now in Chapter 3, I still haven't unlocked everything yet. And its not like FFXIII-1 where the game's being parsimonious (although it can be given that I've only just recently assembled a 3 member party; and I'm still limited to only one extra Blade per Driver during battle), its just that there's a shitload of new stuffs to keep track of (like the function of buying out shops, or acknowledging the special requirements to use the 4th tier Blade Combo specials, versus the usual requirements of the 3rd tier Blade Combo).

I've also come across some other fun issues like the fact that you really shouldn't spend any WP on Rex's initial sword since none of his upgrades carries over to Pyra (so you just end up pissing away 300 WP from the game's start), you can still savescum for the initial Core Activation despite the others forcing a save, the aforementioned loot clipping (although I think I'm beginning to find stuff to start dealing with that; despite the fact that it shouldn't have been a problem in the first place), an involved sidequest that involves raising a Lv 1 Armu calf up to adulthood, which you won't be able to start if you kill it before you even talk to the guy who offers the quest (who just ends up disappointed in you as you reload to your previous save), and the user interface helpfully showing all the silhouettes of all the possible unique Blades in the game (see if you can spot the obvious spoilers), and that's not even mentioning the muddiness of Core Chips trying to find my way over to the other half of Gormott that didn't involve trudging through Level 70+ mobs (I really wish the map and quest systems were better in this game).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 01:02:33 AM by Aeolus »

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2017, 01:37:10 AM »
It only has one, so you don't save scum opening blades.  It's really stupid IMO.  NO game in this day and age should have one save slot.

This is insane. If I was a reviewer I would take off a full point because if this.
1 save slot especially for a jrpg is just stupid. I'm legitimately  concerned to go forward with this game. Iv had a few of my game saves corrupted in the past.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2017, 09:13:10 AM »
Apparently, I had a goddamn year to post about it, but I somehow forgot to gripe about having to pick up drops post battle and from treasure chests (hey, here's this item you went out of your way for, too bad it clipped through the level geometry and there's no autocollect function (that I've unlocked yet)).

That's not as bad to me as having to literally walk away from battle in order to fetch some of the healing pots as they go hurling 7 feet.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2017, 10:12:40 AM »
Wait does this game have 1 save slot? Surely I'm missing something.

I was under the impression that most Switch games only have one save slot.

Wasn't there a kerfuffle from someone at Polygon over Zelda having only one slot?

Edit - yes, it was Chris Grant.

https://static.giga.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/chrisgrant.png

Seems like the same thing, and something to fault the Switch over rather than Xenoblade specifically.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:15:44 AM by Lard »
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »

Well, at least this is one less game I can have Switch Envy over.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2017, 07:26:11 PM »
Apparently, I had a goddamn year to post about it, but I somehow forgot to gripe about having to pick up drops post battle and from treasure chests (hey, here's this item you went out of your way for, too bad it clipped through the level geometry and there's no autocollect function (that I've unlocked yet)).

That's not as bad to me as having to literally walk away from battle in order to fetch some of the healing pots as they go hurling 7 feet.

At least the AI is willing to make a run on the pot for you. What sucks is that just moving around interrupts your combos which just completely halts your Arts and your battle momentum, and that the pot and more dammingly, loot dropped from defeated enemies need to be collected before they fade away (this is almost as awful as Legend of Mana's loot pickup bullshit, though at the very least, you don't have to also worry about who collects said loot).

Also, pot has a nasty tendency to head in the opposite direction of the dealer of the pot spawning blow.

And yeah, I don't know why anybody's surprised at XBC2's singular save slot. BotW has the same issue and both are massive open world RPGs on the Switch made, at least in part, by Monolithsoft. I mean, yeah, it sucks out loud (see also: that Armu quest; also I bet that failing to pay that initial dock worker will end up burning some people down the line as well, but that would be Mermaid Ring levels of bullshit, which is kinda different), but you seriously didn't see this coming?